whats the best pocket knife brand

hello new to the forum , im looking for a good pocket knife i can carry for a long time. i dont want to buy something cheap. i just need a regular knife i usually prefer one blade that locks. i dont need nothing with a bunch of crazy hi tech buttons and swirches either. just a good quality pocket knife thatll last awhile something that wont break the bank and has a good reputation. and if you know where i could buy the one you recommend at a store. i dont want to buy online because i want to see the knives in person. i appreciate all the help thanks guys.

Welcome to the forum! I would have to say something from Buck, Spyderco, or Kershaw would work for ya.

How about a Benchmade Mini-Grip? Inexpensive at $60, but a great knife, great profile, and the locking mechanism is solid. You might need to sharpen the knife once you receive it - Benchmade isn't known for their factory sharp knives. Overall, it's a great knife that meets all of your needs, and more importantly, you can buy it at most outdoor/knife shops.

hey thanks you guys respond quick !! i guess i should also have said this i want something made in america. i have a buck knife i forget what kind but its 420 and its not a bad knife but the steel doesnt stay sharp as long as id like. i have a benchmade i think its a mini grip and it 440c not bad but the knife is beat to hell.i kinda want to try somethig new most the knife i have had have been 440c 420 and the spyderco aus8 is there a better steel to get than those? i dont know anything about kershaw so any info would be great and case... my grandfather carried a case was a nice knife! do they make one bladed locking knives? i always associated them with old timer kind of knives (probably ignorance on my part)

Way better steels than those. I would recommend spyderco and start out with any knife with VG-10 or S30V, just pick one you like.

hey thanks you guys respond quick !! i guess i should also have said this i want something made in america. i have a buck knife i forget what kind but its 420 and its not a bad knife but the steel doesnt stay sharp as long as id like. i have a benchmade i think its a mini grip and it 440c not bad but the knife is beat to hell.i kinda want to try somethig new most the knife i have had have been 440c 420 and the spyderco aus8 is there a better steel to get than those? i dont know anything about kershaw so any info would be great and case... my grandfather carried a case was a nice knife! do they make one bladed locking knives? i always associated them with old timer kind of knives (probably ignorance on my part)

For American-made knives you would be looking for
154CM
CPM 154 (if you can find it)
S30V

Buck makes the Vantage Pro in S30V. Recommended
You can also buy a Cabellas Alaskan 110, a Buck 110 in S30V
Spyderco makes the Manix II in 154CM in the US.
Benchmade makes a number of knives in both S30V and 154CM. IIRC, all of the BM knives in these alloys are US-made.

VG10 blades are all made in Japan. Nice alloy. Nice knives. But you asked for US-made.

Hard to recommend a brick and mortar store, unless you live in San Diego.

how much would a knife typically cost with those kinds of steels? and how much better is all of those then 440c? i liked the syderco i had though it was a smaller one but i didnt like the handle you couldnt take it apart and it was just plastic no metal or anything. i kinda felt like for 70 bucks the handle could have been of better quality. but it never broke and did a decent job. i just want to support america as much as possible.

my grandfather carried a case was a nice knife! do they make one bladed locking knives? i always associated them with old timer kind of knives (probably ignorance on my part)

You could look at a Case Mako, solid knife and pretty easy to find. May not be the steel you're looking for though. It is a traditional styled lockback but a little more squared off then a Buck 110

Welcome to the Forum. I would say you already got most of the good but cheap ones listed. Look into swiss army knives as well or a good Multi-tool they are sometimes a better choice.

how much would a knife typically cost with those kinds of steels? and how much better is all of those then 440c? i liked the syderco i had though it was a smaller one but i didnt like the handle you couldnt take it apart and it was just plastic no metal or anything. i kinda felt like for 70 bucks the handle could have been of better quality. but it never broke and did a decent job. i just want to support america as much as possible.

Well, Knarfeng already recommended the Buck Vantage PRo with S30V. That knife is as american as Obama ;) , and probably the most affordable entry to S30V steel. Difference with 440c? Well, I do like a good 440C, it feels "toothy" when cutting, but it is true that S30 holds a reasonable working edge longer (even if it loses razor sharpness quickly, in my opinion).

For heavy duty save up a bit more for the Manix 2. In principle it's steel is between 440C and S30V when it comes to edge retention, yet for normal use it should give plenty of satisfaction.

If you're prepared to spend upwards of $100, then the choices of American-made quality cutlery explode.

I have blades in all those alloys. I find that 440C does just fine for daily use, however:
I notice the difference between 154CM and 440C in use.
I notice the difference between 440C and S30V even more.

If you are willing to buy online, you can find a Buck Vantage Pro for about $56.
The Spyderco Manix II online is about $75. It has steel liners and G10 (fiberglass scales).
Benchmade makes the Mini-Griptilian. It has a 154CM blade and I have seen it online for ~$60.

what kind of steel does the case mako have? where would i find these knives at? i know walmart has some knives but im not sure if they are any good. i bought my spyderco on vacation at some hole in the wall store and my benchmade at bass pro but im pretty far from bass pro.

what kind of steel does the case mako have? where would i find these knives at? i know walmart has some knives but im not sure if they are any good. i bought my spyderco on vacation at some hole in the wall store and my benchmade at bass pro but im pretty far from bass pro.

WalMart wouldn't have the Case Mako. They usually sell cheap POS, or good Kershaw's and Buck's. I think the Mako has SS steal. A good knife, easily found at WalMart (even though I hate the store) is the Kershaw SkyLine. Great profile, nice blade steel, USA made, locking blade, and G10 scales. Sell around for thirty five bucks.

Case uses "Tru-sharp" for their stainless. It's similar to the 420HC that Buck, but it is not heat treated to as high a hardness as Buck runs theirs. If you did not care for Buck 420HC, then IMO, you won't like Case Tru-Sharp.

i was just on bass pro website. y'all ever heard of redhead knives and what you thin of boker? thanks guys

i was just on bass pro website. y'all ever heard of redhead knives and what you thin of boker? thanks guys

When I think of the company RedHead I think of their socks (but even then, smartwool socks are the way to go, just saying...), not their knives. Bokër is good.

Back