What's the best sharpening system

I recommend you hang out on the Maintenance Tinkering and Embellishment section of this forum. The sharpening pros hang out there!

You are going to have to get several hundred dollars in extra stones to get a mirror polish. I added the 800/1000s and some strips and it’s still not close to a true mirror edge.

I use a Wicked Edge on my Sebenzas. Simply put it is fantastic. Wickedly expensive but fantastic. I have added the upgraded arms and more stones through the years. Once you get the hang of it by sharpening a couple cheaper blades you are set.

Now when I sharpen my Sebenzas I start with the 600 grit stones to avoid removing much metal. This works great because I place the knife in the same position every time. I use a Sharpie to make sure I get to the apex and then go through all the stones I have before stropping. Very sharp mirrored edge every time. Only negative (other than cos) the WE does such a good job I only have to sharpen a couple times a year with regular use.

I dislike the mirror polished edges that have become so common now. It's not very functional, not very pretty (to me), and looks to promote some obsessive behavior. Just like “drop free” actions, mirror edges optimize for a very narrow performance band which isn't all that useful day-to-day.

I use a Spyderco Sharpmaker and with the diamond rods I can get everything I need out of it.

People talk about mirror finishes like it is the best, and it is a beautiful show finish. However I prefer a bit toothier edge for use, and very fine stones and polishes are not needed to achieve it.

I agree. Mirrored edges tend to stick for me. Plus, they are terrible to cut tape with. My mirrored edges get really gummy from tape and it is harder to remove than a traditional edge (even with alcohol).

I agree. Mirrored edges tend to stick for me. Plus, they are terrible to cut tape with. My mirrored edges get really gummy from tape and it is harder to remove than a traditional edge (even with alcohol).
Try Zippo Lighter fluid (mirrored edge or working edge). It gets tape etc off easy, cheap and easy to find. Helps remove rust, remove rubber heal/shoe streaks on floors, removes cooking oil cloths stains. I use it mostly for cleaning the old oil dust and grime off my knife pivots for maintenance(avoid plastics, g10, micarta though) . It's very versatile.

Last edited:
Thanks Everyone.

Josh K Josh K This isn’t sarcasm. Thanks for slapping ‘practicality’ on this subject into my head. I agree, it was my compulsiveness wanting a mirrored edge.

I must say, I’m already tired of thinking about how to sharpen my knives...’best.’ Extra this or that on top of whatever...nope. I have so many NOT practical things in my life - I am thankful I am walking away.

Keeping it simple - SharpMaker it is.

i use wicked edge to reprofile and SharpMaker and strops to maintain...

Tormek T7 wet sharpening machine fitted with an SB 250 Blackstone (black silicon carbide) for major edge repair & reprofiling.
Rubber Wheels with diamond grit for intermediate work and Paper Wheels with various diamond compounds for fine polishing & deburring.
And practice.

Last edited:
I'm a Wicked Edge guy myself. The speed of setup, and ability to duplicate and edge is what won me over.

Spendy? Yes, but I felt it was worth the investment as I'll be able to use it for the rest of my life.

As far as results go, well...

Ti-Lock:
7BojIKo.jpg

gcQKCPv.jpg

Small Inkosi:
ylL7Lmb.jpg

Techno:
Hms9Xc4.jpg

Large Inkosi:
78p9qvc.jpg

I just found the best way to sharpen CRK no matter one-piece-range or Sebenza is simply a piece of sand paper + hard rubber pad. I use 2000# and then 5000# sand paper, with polishing paste in the end to create a mirror finishing edge. You won't over wear it and can keep a nice curved edge by this way. Don't forget to apply some oil on the sand paper.

I'm a Wicked Edge guy myself. The speed of setup, and ability to duplicate and edge is what won me over.

Spendy? Yes, but I felt it was worth the investment as I'll be able to use it for the rest of my life.

As far as results go, well...

Ti-Lock:
7BojIKo.jpg

gcQKCPv.jpg

Small Inkosi:
ylL7Lmb.jpg

Techno:
Hms9Xc4.jpg

Large Inkosi:
78p9qvc.jpg

Which system do you have. I’m thinking about buying one but am unsure about which model. Price isn’t a concern as I believe in Buy Once Cry Once.

Thx

You are going to have to get several hundred dollars in extra stones to get a mirror polish. I added the 800/1000s and some strips and it’s still not close to a true mirror edge.

So true. I have those 1000 stones and some drops and do not get the "mirror" edge I'd like. You will need some finer grit stones to get the desire mirror edge. I have the WE130 and really like it.

Which system do you have. I’m thinking about buying one but am unsure about which model. Price isn’t a concern as I believe in Buy Once Cry Once.

Thx

I have the Gen III pro. It is spendy, but like I'm a buy once, cry once guy myself.

The only other things you would need would be the 1500/Glass platen stone, lapping films (I have the 6-.5 micron), and maybe a set of strops if you want. That lapping film setup will produce the mirrored edges in my pics, and a strop or two (I like balsa, myself) will allow you to leave a nice, toothy edge on things like kitchen or hunting knives.

wicked edge 130 if you got the bucks to spare... no other sharpening system comes close to the WE..
Don't waste money on the spyderco sharpmaker... been there done that

40 years of sharpening freehand is the best system I know of. Muscle memory from 100s if not 1000s of hours using bench stones, hones and strops. I've yet to find anything better than the correct grit stone progression. Works every time regardless off the steel.

I’ve tried several popular systems, and my favorite by far is the Wicked Edge.

I have the Gen 3 Pro system, and while expensive, it’s just incredible. So easy to get amazing results after a few practice knives, and you can repeat those results on the same knife quickly and easily for touchups. Definitely worth the money if you want the best results.

What I used to do is send my knives to someone reputable with a wicked edge, to put a pretty mirror edge on it, and then simply maintain it on my Sharpmaker.
I aquired an edge pro, and I got the shapton glass stones for it. It’s not as ultra precise as the Wicked Edge, but hey, it’s my edge on there! :)

Back