What's the best steel for honing/burnishing?

I work in a high-end kitchen and use mainly Global and Misono Knives, and I was wondering if anybody out their knows what's the best steel to use for quickly realigning the edge, and the reasoning behind it:

ceramic vs metal vs diamond

Also are the F Dick steels really worth the price?

All ceramic and diamond "steels" I've seen are not steels -- they are sharpeners that are shaped like steels. If it's a steel you're looking for (i.e., you're looking to re-align the edge only, not re-sharpen), you want a smooth steel. I have the steel from Razor Edge that I like. Supposedly F Dick's smooth steels are excellent.

Hi,
Welcome to the forums!
I just posted this in another thread, but it applies here as well;
a good article on burnishing .
Regards,
Greg

I worked in a hog plant for two summers and all we used were f.Dick steels. Some guys had some others that they brought from home too, but everyone did like using the f.Dick. Very smooth, well made, that's the one to get. I also recommend the folding steel from Razor's Edge, that is a great one as well.

Joe Talmadge said:
All ceramic and diamond "steels" I've seen are not steels -- they are sharpeners that are shaped like steels. If it's a steel you're looking for (i.e., you're looking to re-align the edge only, not re-sharpen), you want a smooth steel. I have the steel from Razor Edge that I like. Supposedly F Dick's smooth steels are excellent.

Ditto. It's gotta be smooth. And good luck finding one. Ebay maybe.

I found an OLD Case&Sons smooth steel at a flea market. $5 I'm set for life now. :thumbup: It's a big mother too. :)

Back