what's the deal with the waterway's blade shape?

Recently I've been looking around for a new dedicated outdoorsy knife. (Mostly because I can't keep my bm 200 puukko from rusting out on hiking trails lol.) My first choice was the Sprig because it's BEAUTIFUL but s90 is a wee bit rust-ish so Waterway it is.

But one thing about it weirds me out. The big unsharpened chunk at the base of the blade. So, why? Is there a point? it doesn't look big enough to choke up on the blade without slicing my fingers off, and it takes a quarter inch off of the blade length. Does slicing up fish require extra skin bludgeoning that I was not aware of?

You can choke up on the knife in the unsharpened choil-like area, though not as safe as a proper choil for sure. Since it's more of a slicing knife than a hammerfist grip knife, it's perfectly sized for a pinch grip or saber grip, pretty much any grip that doesn't put your more than the first knuckle's worth of finger in that area.

Here it is in action again

There was a review from a guy camping with it, but I can't find that video. He might do a better job commenting on that specific area as Lance doesn't really address that in the videos, from what I saw.

You could probably ask the man himself as he's on the forums as Surfingringo Surfingringo

Hey guys, I do indeed explain what I call the “half choil” in the first video. The idea was to have a safe place to rest the tip of the middle finger when choking up and doing detail work with the tip. The intended grip for that is tip (or first knuckle) of middle finger on the half choil and forefinger on the spine. This offers about as much fine control as you can get on a 4 1/2 inch blade. Given the intent of the design, I felt this was a more efficient feature that wouldn’t potentially snag material and wouldn’t take up as much space as a full finger choil.

Hey guys, I do indeed explain what I call the “half choil” in the first video. The idea was to have a safe place to rest the tip of the middle finger when choking up and doing detail work with the tip. The intended grip for that is tip (or first knuckle) of middle finger on the half choil and forefinger on the spine. This offers about as much fine control as you can get on a 4 1/2 inch blade. Given the intent of the design, I felt this was a more efficient feature that wouldn’t potentially snag material and wouldn’t take up as much space as a full finger choil.
Well hey! Got the knife in yesterday and I totally see it now. Works great.

Back