What's the fascination?

I've been watching $300 or so knives go for $500 or more because they have handles with yellow micarta similar to that which was once a standard offering from RMK.

I've got a couple of 15-20 year old Randalls with that material and as you afficianados know, the old yellow micarta gets better looking with age....

But I don't understand the fascination with having a new knife made with this material...:confused:

Can someone educate me on this? THANKS

Hi Jim
Supply and Demand, I have collected Randall's for about 5 years now.
Colored micarta has been the rage the last 2 years. When someone finds a color that the micarta is big enough to be slotted and machined to Randall Knives specs to be used. They order the knife then supply and demand takes over. I do agree that the bidding has been on the high side on some Randall's with colored micarta.
But as a seller letting the auction market set the price works.
As far as me collecting as a buyer if I can not order it with the colored micarta at list price or find it at shows I pass on the auction stuff mostly. Two - three years ago when all colored micarta Randall's were bringing big bucks alot of the more common red and brown slotted knives were made. They are now showing up for sale.
The latest issue of Blade has a list of colored micarta but then the size and if Randall will use it on a knife has to be determined.
Not all micarta can be finished to look good.
I was told the old micarta that yellowed that was used in the 70's- early 90's dried up long ago.
So when a piece is found big enough and put on a Randall it brings bucks.
And as long as Randall is so far behind in orders and Randall authorized dealers are booked up for over a year also, prices will stay high.
Just to say it again Supply and Demand.
In September of 1998 I was at the Chicago Knife show and Randall dealer Tom Clinton had about 300 Randall's for sale 4 tables full in the sheaths and some double stacked. They are all long gone along with all the Randall's Tom gets every month. At the Blade show in June 2000 on Sunday Tom had 3 new 10-7's for sale and about 20 older trades to go home with.

I have a Randall #14 with Red Micarta in my collection. I went a little further to make it unique by getting it engraved on the hilt.
Just my personal choice.
I think serial numbered Randall's are the next big thing as all the Mini #25 - #1 and #3's are put in collections.
Randall Knife Society knives ( all years )are on the rise also and getting hard to find.
Some dealer special knives are numbered. Like my Buxton Fighters I have serial #14 and #15.
Rick Bowles scrim work is getting hard to find also.
Great thing is Randall Made Knives keeps a file on all Rick's registered works of art.
In Randall's with serial numbers I like to go for the lowest I can find.
Overlooked by new collectors are 70's - late 80's with roughback sheaths in my opinion.
I looks like most new collectors start out with new knives till they are able to see and hold the older one's.
Information is the key to collecting anything.
This is all just my opinion as to what I see out there.
Thanks dd2 :)

Nice pictures dd2.., thanks for sharing.., some gorgeous pieces...

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

...and you answered the question better than I would have too...

I was livid after the Knife Expo 2002 show! Money 'didn't' talk, and almost all the RMK's were waaay overpriced IMNSHO... :mad:

The part that really irked me was the RMK purveyor that had 40 some-odd knives, and didn't even know the names of half of them.

The only upside from a RMK's offered for sale standpoint was/were Jim Schick, aka 'nifeboy'...he has nice, nice knives, at fair prices; and Robert and John of Admor knives....again great guys, with nice, nice, knives...at very fair prices.

Unfortunately, those guys didn't have what we were looking for on that particular day...

Hoping for better at the Oregon show...

Mel

By the bye, back to Jim's question...I nearly did a back flip when I saw a new production RMK #14 with a 'white' handle listed at $1000!!! :eek:

Back