Whats the seax for?

Is there anywhere that explains the different styles of khukuris and knives? I know that some of the khuks are designed to be better choppers, etc. Whats a seax for? It certainly looks cool and if (okay when) I buy one it will probably only be for fun, but I would like to know why it looks the way it does.

Thanks.

There are others that know WAY more about the seax than I do, but the HI seax is the nepal version of the very popular knife used by the saxions, vikings, celts, etc. Think of it as the bowie knife of Europe. Handy enough for everyday chores, mean enough to bleed out a viking with;) Jump on the one offered up in the UBDOTD thread! These are great, warm-feeling knives that are good at poking holes in stuff as well as chopping (although not at well as a khuk, obviously). it's in my top 5 HI favs.

Jake

Saex is a poor mans sword. Smaler versions were all utility knives. Biger ones are for war. The idea is, that if you cannot afford sword or another weapon, you can still use spear and shield, which is very cheap and seax is the option for the moment when the crowd is too thick to use anything else. Otherwise its a fine weapon, I m not considering myself good swordsman, but I did alot with saex.
You can do anything like with sword, the forecuts on your opponents hands are very fast and dangerous, if he doesnt know how to cut "swordsman way" - means weapon first, hand then, arm and then the body.
The binding of opponent weapon is difficult, since saex doesnt have guard and shear and revshear doesnt work that fine , because of shortnes of the blade.
There has been found one about 60 km from my house, from 10. century and it was 70 cm long!! Thats about 28 inches.

From handling one, I got the impression they're best used for poking large holes in one's enemies. I also got the impression they would be very, very good at it. Properly sharpened one would have some pretty good brush clearing potential as well.

I don't like the fact there is no handguard.

They are beautiful.

munk

Thats the one I have. Not much of fancy, but good blade. The handle is made after original and its just too small for modern people, but I have small hands. Extremly fast weapon. Good chopping - I thing the handle has something to do with it. I m buying now my first khuk, but I would like to see one of these with bigger handle from HI. :)

http://sweb.cz/hawkwind/saex.jpg

I think they were also good for penetrating mail and the joints of armor.

In time of their use even chainmail was not common thing to see. Milites primi ordini could have mail and those richer men of what we call yeoman class. (The same amongst vikings). No plate mail was developped yet and if you were so close to use this weapon, no time for fencing would have been left. Just stab somebody, or poke him into face.
I think these knives were largely obsolete at the end of 10. century, but a variation like dussack or bauwehr jumps here and there out of history.

do a search on this forum for "seax"....or..."scramasax"

A while back, Sarge & Ferrous Wheel posted some stuff about it.

pics:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=238652

Found the info:

----------------------------------------------
Scramaseaxes

Another relatively cheap weapon used during the sixth and seventh centuries was the single edged knife - the scramaseax. Scramaseax is a term covering a wide variety knives from small eating knives to large combat weapons. For the sake of simplicity, the term scramaseax shall only be used to describe the weapon in this section. The typical scramaseax of the Migration period, as found on the Continent, is about 8 - 14" (20 - 35 cm) long with an asymmetrical tang. Large scramaseaxes do not appear in England until the latter part of the Pagan period, with the earlier types generally having blades of about 6-10" (15-30cm) in length. The guard is generally insignificant, or even non-existent, but many of the early scramaseaxes had decorative pommels, often boat-shaped or lobed. By the ninth century very long scramaseaxes start to appear, more a single edged sword thab a knife. The blades of these scramaseaxes are between 22 - 32" (55 - 80cm) long and very heavy, capable of delivering a horrendous cutting blow. This type of scramaseax is probably the type referred to as a langseax (O.E. 'long-knife) in contemporary sources.

Two basic forms of scrameseax were in use in England. The Germanic type has almost parallel edges, with a sharply angled back. A single narrow fuller sometimes runs down one side, or rarely both sides, of the blade, just below the back. This type is not usually seen any earlier than the seventh century. The Merovingian type has a more curved form, and often has one or more fullers on both sides of the blade. This type first appears in England during the later fifth century, reaches a peak in the sixth century, and is gradually replaced by the Germanic type in the seventh and eighth centuries. Both types have blades of triangular section. Handles were usually of horn or wood.

Scramaseaxes were carried in a leather sheath at the warrior's thigh and the sheath was suspended from the belt by means of a series of small bronze loops. Some scramaseax scabbards appear to have been made of leather covered wooden laths, in a manner similar to sword scabbards. Many scramaseax scabbards have decorative chapes.

Scramseaxes are found in around 5% of the Anglo-Saxon burials that contain weapons.
----------------------------------------------

get one, and you won't be disappointed. In fact, I have mine right here.....as part of my halloween costume (party at work)....:eek:

:D

I guess 'seax' or 'scramsax' are not English words but Swedish or Danish. Which is the correct pronunciation of the word 'seax'? Is it's pronunciation sound like 'Sean' (i.e. Sean Connery) or is it sound like combination of 'sea' and 'axe' or is it simply sound like 'sax' or 'sex'?

Please ..

It's pronounced "seqouiah"

It is a utility knife and a weapon, much like the khukuri. A bigger one is almost the same as a khukuri in it's chopping ability. Mineral Mountain used to make a big one that was quite a chopper...

It's properly pronounced (sorry Danny) "damn that thing is pointy"

I thought it an ancient thing...sometimes produced from a broken sword...no?

mohd - it's "sax"

And it's an anglo-saxon word, IIRC.....

Ferrous?

What's it for? Same anwer as what an 800 pound gorilla does. Whatever it wants to do. :D :D :D

Thanks for all your kind responds. I am thinking of grabbing one from UBBB or UBDOTD one of this coming day!
:cool:

plucky lil' knife....

And though there are some who feel the H.I. blade too wide....it was based on a traditional design. Some are wide, some are long, some are pointy, some rounded.....and so on.

"Seax" is like "puukko".....meaning, more or less, a working knife. We would say "hunting knife" - which could mean anything from a 13" long pig-sticker to a 7" skinner....

It's an Everyman's knife....

Back