What's the strangest thing you ever caught ?

Brad "the butcher";8202493 said:
Thats funny Jim, first time I saw one in the boat I was 7 yrs old and it scared the hell out of me. My grandpa let it wriggle all over the bottom of the lund for about a minute laughing his butt off telling me to unhook it while I was heading to the bow shrieking.
Took some convincing that they were at the bottom of the lake not in the weedbeds near the swimming hole, 20lb pike did not scare me like that 2 ft slimy monster.
My grandpa called them Moria's.

Many years later I met a Metis that showed me and had to convince me they were worth eating. He made deep fried fish and chips better than some roadside diners I have been to.

They really are good eating....it is cod after all.
Clean them catfish style.

Nail the head to a post and cut around the head and score through the skin from top to bottom in 4 to 6 places. Grab with good pliers and peel like a banana. Big solid slabs of white meat, those things are all muscle and are a deep water predator. They do not taste muddy or eat crap off the bottom.
Lots of disinformation about fresh water ling cod from people that have never tried.
What is it with ugly fish tasting good? Look at halibut and some others.

The lake I bought property at last year has them, can't wait till the day bring one into camp and see the horrified look on my wife's face when I say "look what's for dinner"

They're called Lawyer or Eelpout up in MN where I grew up. We used to catch them in Lake Superior ice fishing for walleye. I was probably ten the first time I pulled one up through the ice. Grandpa laughed for an hour at my reaction. He called 'em "poor man's lobster" and they're pretty darn close to that!

J-

tonym, Nope, sorry. This 'thing' I hooked had a flat body. As I remember about 1.5 inches thick looking down on it and four to five inches wide looing at it from the side. The overall look was a weird fleshy ball head with this 'streamer body' behind it. The tail was a two to three inch long 'V' slit at the rear. Thanks for the comeback and pic.
BTW, I was NOT drinking that night, I really did see and briefly handle the crazy thing.

Lots of uranium mills along the Colorado river...just sayin':p

While working on a longliner off the Aleutian Ilands we were hualing gear & there was a Winger cassette tape on one of the hooks.

beach fishing form an estuary 400km North of Sydney at night - caught 3 whiting with only 2 hooks on the line. I was reeling them in out of the waves thinking - how many hooks did I put on this line?

They were so excited one must have smelt the bait - saw the red tape I put above the hook and struck at that - and got it teeth caught in the line just long enough for me to haul them all out of the water.

I had a bite once that quickly became lodged on something. At first I thought the fish had snagged/spit my line onto a log or stump, but it was pretty tough braid so I began pulling. Slowly but surely the snag started to come towards me. When I pulled it to shore finally, it was a 14" chain pickerel almost bitten entirely in half by a 25-30 lb. snapping turtle.

Not sure if this counts but I when I was a kid me a friend were each dip netting off a bridge over a river. He ended up losing his due to a poorly tied not in his rope somewhere. I had told my father about it and he rigged up a long metal pole with hooks made from wire coat hangers in attempt to retrieve it. Well first throw into the river, and were talking probably 25ft+ from the bridge, he pulled one up! Wasnt my friends he had lost, this one had blue netting! After a few more tosses he pulled up the one we had lost. In the end we ended up with 3 total, two with good nets the other one was a mangled up. Pretty neat though for us at the time, we were young and figured it was gone and he ended up pulling 3 out of the river when we thought we'd never even find one. Made me wonder what else was down there.

Weeks later it put the idea in my head... there is a very popular fishing spots on either side of this dam just upstream of the same river, were we'd often fish and see many people snag and lose lures. So when the weather wasn't nice me and my same friend would come by with the magnets that they use in cows tied and heavily rigged up to a long rope/string. We'd toss up out in the river and drag them slowly back in, pulling in tons of lures, many cheap but lots of good ones. I'd guess together we collected over a 1000 in maybe 2years or less. A lot of the time we'd pull in a mess of fishing line and slowly work those back in bringing in even more.

We snuck over to the edge of a pond at night. I was about 12. We were fishing and my friend caught a bat that got tangled in his fishing line. He pulled it up close and did not know what it was until he had it up close and had grabbed it with his hands. He went to yelling and stumbled over. It was funny!

I once caught a bat while casting a nightcrawler and Butt Valley Reservoir, and I also caught a six pack of canned beer at Ruth Lake.

DANG! Don't think I can top that! I've caught the SAME frog three times when fishing for bass with a top lure. Caught a turtle once too. Deeply snagged a bullhead once... that was a tad bit exciting... he was mightily pissed and quite difficult to get off the hook.

Nice catch lol. I did loose a cheap pole before. Caught a big catfish or carp and the rodholder wasn't in the ground deep enought, the fish pulled it right out of the ground as soon as the fish hit it.

I think the strangest thing i caught was a # 10 can...though it was a fish. I did catch a gar today...hate those things.

Last edited by a moderator:
these ugly things. they are every where!!!

images

Fish-wise, the bowfin (2X). "Caught" rods, lures, junk, weirdest was a condom. I didn't land that one.

caught a mallard one time, watched my dad catch a canadian goose out of the air accident I swear, and he snagged a car once too as it drove by

About 20 years ago I had to extract my hook from a busty blond's left (her left) nipple - really!

The mystery fish that I didn't catch but am still wondering what it was is the one that ate what had to be a 30+lb grouper that I was bringing up from the bottom in Key West. I was getting a typical grouper fight and all of a sudden the rod bends over double and the line screams out and then it breaks. We suspect that it was a big bull or tiger shark. But you never know. I read that at a tournament last year, someone cut open the winning 500 pound blue marlin and found a 100+ pound white marlin in it's stomach!!! Basically a 13 foot long fish ate a 6 foot long fish and lived to tell about it.:eek: So it could have been one of Mr. Grouper's larger siblings or cousins that ate him.

Back