What's up for 2011?

Yo, guys. I've got few plans for 2011 (besides filling orders) and Lord willing I'll get some of them done.
Here's some ideas I have floating around in my skull.....they're lonely inside that empty space.:p

This one is in the works as we speak. It's based on the Randall 10-3. The differences are: mine will be 3/16" where Randall's is 1/8", my handle is about 4 1/4" and the blade is 4". The Randall is a 3" blade and around a 3 1/2" handle I think. Randall's is stainless mine will be o-1. Mine will have a false top grind (so I can batton it) where Randall's is sharp.
5343712504_64eb914691_z.jpg

I'd like to do one based on the Randall fireman's knife. On mine I'll reduce (maybe remove) the guard and make it from 3/16" (Randall's is 1/4").
randall_knife_fireman_5948_450.jpg

And in keeping with the theme, I might build a knife based on the Randall "full tang". I'm not sure though, you'll see why in a minute.
This one has been around since the 70's, it used to be a non catalog knife I think so they are rare. The one pictured below Gary Randall built for his son.
5343712526_832e6d79b9_z.jpg

Does that look familiar to anyone? How about if you remove the guard and the finger relief?

5343103469_0150a061ca_z.jpg

I see a woodlore. With a varied convex grind in 3/16" I think it would sing. But the Soldier River is similar just a lot larger. So this one may not get done.

The last thing , which is very tentative, that I'd like to try is an axe. A small axe probably closer to a hatchet in size. I'll let you know more on that as it develops.

Hope you guys find something there that gets your pulse up a little. I'm looking forward to these and I've got a couple more up my sleeve that I'll leave as a surprise if I get to them this year.
Thanks for looking,
Iz

I love the looks of that 10-3. Might have to change my next order..........or jsut make another!

An axe! You build a forge and not let anyone know? Or you plan on doing it soild O-1? Man that has my interest peaking. 19 or 20" haft would be awesome!

An axe! You build a forge and not let anyone know? Or you plan on doing it soild O-1? Man that has my interest peaking. 19 or 20" haft would be awesome!

I've got a sneaky little plan to do it without having to break out the hammers. It might not work though so don't anybody get their hopes up.:eek:
It'll likely be shorter than 19". Not sure yet, I have to make a prototype and do some testing.
psst. 5160
Iz

Skab and J,
First of all thanks for the kind words. Second of all, Lord willing there will be two of the 10-3 prototypes in the next batch.:thumbup:
Iz

Iz, I would like to see your version of the firemans knife . I really like that model the size and design, but but the Randall is way to expensive for real firefighter to carry. maybe as a grail.

Back