Whats with people calling medium sized knives "large"?

I think you mean scampi. Lobsters have claws. Shrimp have horns. Although im not a oceantologist. Dont mean to derail thread. But if everyone called lobsters shrimp then my 4 inch fixed blade would be tiny to them.

Haha. Yea I know the distinction. But then again, in Chinese, we call em dragon shrimp (literal translation)

It doesn’t even have to come down to perspective. 3.5” has always been considered on the larger side of folders and are called such.
I agree. I notice that some of the companies are calling what I consider medium sized knives as "mini's". Guess that's why when you order online that you need to read the specs.

Any fixed blade larger than 7" blade length is LARGE.

Some knives are long but not large for me. Like a Military. Easy to carry. The fidgeter in me likes small knives but the knife nut in me likes anything that I love the looks of.

There was a recent thread about knife companies following car companies marketing; maybe some of that is involved. o_O Non-knife people don't know what your knife is called, all they care about is -if it's bigger than a spydie dragonfly it's LARGE. :eek: :rolleyes:

For me, in terms of blade length, a folder of:

+4" is large
3.5-4 is medium
2.5-3.5 is small
-2.5 is XS

Most of the folders I carry are medium and sometimes (but seldom) small; never tiny and rarely large.

As for fixed blades, IMO:

-4" is small
4-7 is medium
7-9 is large
9+ is XL

Most of the fixed blade knifes that I carry are small SD knives but some are medium in size; none are L or XL unless I'm going hunting/camping which I seldom do anymore.

Last edited:
Since I expect a "large" folder to be like a Spanish Navaja, a "large" Sebenza is only large compared to a smaller one. (A Navaja can be two feet long opened.)

People calling a 'medium-sized' knife large doesn't annoy me at all. There are MANY things in this world that are annoying; this isn't one of them (for me). Back in the days when almost everyone carried a pocketknife, for many men, a pocketknife with a 3" or slightly over blade would have been considered good-sized, or even a large jackknife.

Jim

There was a recent thread about knife companies following car companies marketing
Loveless comes to mind. :D

On the jack knife topic James Y mentioned.... a 3" or longer blade would have been considered large and still is for the most part with slippies.

They should just call the sebenza 21 "large" simply sebenza 21 and the small a small 21, just like how benchmade makes the griptillian and the small version is a mini grip. Non knife people might not know what a knife is called but how we treat certain knife sizes can condition the general public to be scared of something that is relatively normal sized. Consider places with knife laws of under 3 inches, the boundaries were set because they deemed that to be an appropriate size limit for a pocket knife and anything over that is a weapon in their eyes instead of a tool. Some people might be hesitant to carry a normal sized knife because they've been conditioned to believe its too big and scary to have on you.

Exactly! What something is called or referred to as carries significant weight in the minds of people and law makers. Take for example how politicians and media, particularly anti-gun politicians, use terms to demonize firearms. Common rifles become "Assault Rifles" and semi automatic firearms are now "Automatics." It's intellectually dishonest to say the least and down right misleading in most cases. But who ever questions this besides a small minority of law abiding gun owners who are now known as "Gun Nuts"?

News reports sound much more serious when the "suspect" was found in possession of a "large knife" rather than just a knife! An inch in blade length can be the difference between a legal knife and one that is now prohibited because it is considered too large for socially acceptable use. This is how it starts. And as people live and work in crowded urban areas there is less exposure to knives as tools and through media conditioning and Hollywood films and TV knives are perceived solely as weapons with no redeeming value.

As far as 1st world problems go, this ones right up at the top. The woes of perspective; have they no decency.:confused: Seriously though, for a folder, anything over a 3-3.5" blade is large imo. The whole idea behind folders is their space saving, start going beyond the compact benefits of a folder and it's a large. This is how I see it anyways.

Anything with a blade length >3" is large to me. And I have large hands.

I have more important things to do than ponder the relativity of knife descriptions.. Like cackling madly in the middle of serious conversations.

Well, I'm small-sized and a PM2 wouldn't disappear in my pocket quite like it does yours.

I currently carry a Cold Steel Code 4 and it's certainly large enough that I constantly feel it in my pocket. Pros and cons, I know it's there and that gives me peace of mind. But then I can't have a tablet-sized phone, which is fine by me, my S7 is as large a phone as I ever want to carry.

That said, in terms of blade length, I do classify the full-sized Griptilian and the PM2 as mid-sized, or perhaps more accurately medium-large, because their blade lengths are around 3.45", under 3.5" which I consider to be where large begins.

I grew up with a 91mm SAK. I lived most of my life thinking a typical pocket-knife is about that size. The Code 4 is a monster in comparison.

One person's ceiling is another person's floor.... in an apartment building or hotel.

You say pah-TA-toe, I say po-TATE-oh, everyone else said "... pass the meat!" Except the vegan.

Different strokes....

Back