What's your dream DDR custom?

What with all the noise of the crickets in here I thought i'd start some idle chatter.

So what's the recipe for your dream DDR custom, or is it a secret?

How about other brands, what are your "grail" knives?

For me, the DDR would be one of those awesome damascus Gunhammers that neuron posted some pictures of in the "Hot off the bench" thread. Only i'd do it a bit backwards. Call me crazy, but i'd have a satin blade (maybe M390) and a damascus handle (not sure how that would work with the texturing, but it works in my head. Someday.

As far as some other bits of grail knivery, sign me up for a CRK Mnandi - Damascus blade w/ Ebony handle, and a ZT 0777 (scheduled for release in mid-summer / early winter/ fall-spring 2037)

A dream custom DDR? How about my finished custom Forum knife by them!! :thumbup:

I also would like a custom Gunhammer but mine would have Darrels's cf inlay into the stonewashed ti and it would have some badass stainless damascus with m390 core and mokume iron cross clip:thumbup::D damn I might just have to see what this grail would cost and if its doable?

I also would like a custom Gunhammer but mine would have Darrels's cf inlay into the stonewashed ti and it would have some badass stainless damascus with m390 core and mokume iron cross clip:thumbup::D damn I might just have to see what this grail would cost and if its doable?
That sounds sweet!

The combination you've described is definitely unique, but the only element of it that I don't recall seeing (by itself) on some custom GH or other would be the Mokume clip. If you shoot Darrel an email, I'm sure he'd be able to let you know for sure if making a clip out of Mokume is doable and, if it is doable, give you an estimate of what your grail would cost.

Thanks Neuron, I think I'll give Darrel a call later this week, if it can be done I will start saving:thumbup: the more I think about it the more I need it:D

Thanks Neuron, I think I'll give Darrel a call later this week, if it can be done I will start saving:thumbup: the more I think about it the more I need it:D
Cool! Let us know what he says. He might even be able to mark your knife as a prototype if, as I think is the case, the Mokume clip is something that he's never done before. If it's doable, the clip is something that'd have to be specially made -- not sure if the machining process used for DDR's standard low-ride steel clips would work for Mokume -- so you might even be able to get him to make the clip in a different shape/size from the usual one.

One other thought: my guess is that if there's any functional obstacle to using Mokume as a pocket clip material, it'd probably be its relative softness and ductility compared to hardened steel (on the standard DDR pocket clips) or even titanium. However, you could get a similar look by having the pocket clip made out of stainless damascus or, if you want colors like Mokume, anodized Mokuti. (In fact, the more I think about a Mokuti pocket clip, the more I want one!)

As for the part in bold, the same thing happens to me whenever I start thinking about custom Gunhammer configurations. I think I have 3 or 4 on order with Darrel right now. :D

Last edited:
Find dream DDR is currently in the works.

It's a 4-inch AXD, done up with an M390 blade. Machined grip-style like in the Expendables version, with titanium framelock and spring-assist opening.

I can't wait until it's done.

I believe I will ask about my idea as well. This is post 100 for me! Will be doing a GAW Soon!
Cool! I'm almost positive he'll be able to do a scale with a custom pattern (your tattoo) machined into it -- Darrel's a real wizard with CNC.

Congrats on your hundredth post! :thumbup:

I believe I will ask about my idea as well. This is post 100 for me! Will be doing a GAW Soon!
Cool! I'm almost positive he'll be able to do a scale with a custom pattern (your tattoo) machined into it -- Darrel's a real wizard with CNC.

Congrats on your hundredth post! :thumbup:

Back