What's your favorite bag?

Hotshot10

Gold Member
Duffel, backpack, grocery—whatever your favorite bag is, let us know.

I'm enjoying the Kifaru Door Gunner these days. It's the perfect size for day hikes or EDC, and I love the fact that it has stays, even though it is a small pack.

My favorite bag is an old packable day pack made by a long gone company out of bend Oregon called Western Trails.
My dad bought it at a local sporting goods store as a teenager back in the 70's and gave it to me when I was a kid.
I keep it in the storage box on the back of my E scooter and use it when I buy something at the local hardware or to carry home packages and mail from the post office.

It's lightweight, well made, and doesn't take up a lot of space.

Sure packable bags like this are common, but I've never seen another like mine by Western Trails. The only other products from them I've seen are hunting and fishing vests.

Have quite a few choices in different sizes, but for a favorite it is probably the small sling bag (Rush Moab 6) made by 511. I use this bag more often than the others to put things that I want ready access to when I travel or when just a few things are to be carried on day hikes like water, poncho, map, and small first aid kit. I have larger versions when needed. The 511 messenger bag comes in handy for over night trips when I am traveling light. My laptop generally rides inside it on business trips over night.

Last edited:
Now.... this is NOT a fair question. We all know that different situations require different bags. SO.... I am gonna interpret this as, "what is your most versatile bag?"
My answer is: My Filson briefcase. I could probably use this as an overnight bag if pressed. Holds a fair amount of stuff, famously durable, handsome to boot. Can be used in many different scenarios.

GoRuck GR1. Mine is from a limited run of foliage green in 2013 back before they ruined the zippers and straps and moved production off shore. I’ve carried it well over 2000 miles since it was new so it’s broken in like its part of me.

I've been carrying the Oakley Extractor sling pack as my EDC pack for a few years now and it has suited me perfectly. I don't sling it over my neck, I just carry it on one shoulder, and it goes with me when I leave the house and stays in my vehicle (typically in the passenger seat next to me). It has a velcro lining on the inside so I was able to customize it to fit everything I need, plus it has plenty of convenient pockets to store things like batteries/chargers/etc. Then in the small dump section there is plenty of room to throw a bag of snacks and my camera. On the outside it also had a velcro section where I was able to put a phone pouch so it's always handy, and I was able to use the strap along with a key-bak ring to keep my house key always in perfect reach when I'm at the door. This bag has proven to have alot of utility in a compact package. I've considered upgrading, but honestly I don't think I could find anything that fits more of my uses better.

J0FAYCj.jpg

ghQ3yU0.jpg

P7cXqOj.jpg

GoRuck GR1. Mine is from a limited run of foliage green in 2013 back before they ruined the zippers and straps and moved production off shore. I’ve carried it well over 2000 miles since it was new so it’s broken in like its part of me.

I had one of those. They are built insanely well. After using it for a few years, though, I just could not bring myself to love the organization.

Filson large duffle is 15+ years old and not showing much wear. Not cheap but should outlast me. Also have the large briefcase which is a few years older.

Stock photos as pictures here can be a PIA.

Backpack
Hill People Gear Tarahuma - Have 2 going on three. Use for weekend city trips with family of four to carry basics (water, snacks, etc..), to motorcycle camping with friend where we hike off bike to waterfalls and scenery, to solo camping with gear organized by pack (day/night).

f41fd2e3-7edf-4d61-acd0-5f873dc2db1f_1000.jpg

Shoulder Bag
Mission Workshop Transit Multicam Black. My work laptop case, amazing build quality, holds everything I need, although could be an inch wider. Since I travel with my work gear, this is the main bag I add to whatever other bags are going on 2-14 day trips, self contained everything for work.

camo_d005294c-e105-4c5d-9f6d-3c01f4814e3e_1024x1024.jpg

Fjallraven highcoast 24. Carry on size, holds a decent amount and is sized to the straps, so it doesn't tend to get over weighted. Unlike many other packs in its category, its not uncomfortable to carry if its only got a few things in it. I find may packs get weirdly saggy, curl up, or have compression straps that are not useful 90% of the time. Their version of waxed cotton, and while I've never done a major hike though the rain with it, I have not had any water problems with it overall, though I tend to keep my EDC stuff pretty water resistant anyway. Good closure, don't have to undo a lot to get it open. Good size, simple, durable.

sbyDjlR.jpg

Millican The Smith (larger version) I wanted something modern and technical with old school feel and it hit my tastes perfectly. Lots of different kinds of pockets for papers, gadgets and gear. Perfect size for everyday needs or minimalist travel (weekend). Waterproof and feels very solid yet comfortable. Discreet and stylish. I love how it's compact yet doesn't look ridiculous on bigger guy like me.

I like the canvas bags LL BEAN sells. Great for tools, ice fishing traps, lunch, etc. They come in lots of sizes. The key is to go to the outlet store when they have a clearance sale on the already discounted returned bags that have monograms on them. Once I even found one with my initials!

Their backpacks are pretty awesome too. I got one and put an American flag patch over the initials my son fell in love with it and used it for school for 5 years or so. The ones my wife buys last him maybe 3 months.

I am a bit of a pack whore and have had (or have) packs from TAD, PDW, Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, LBT and a few others. To date, my absolute favorite backpack for everyday is the Remote Equipment Alpha 31. X-pac VX-50 black material, no pilling/comfortable back panel, adaptable roll-top with a full front opening feature, easy access to a laptop. It's water resistant, comfortable and really well made!

I don't have a pictuer of it, but I picked up a Nike sling backpack at a discount store about 15 years ago. It's small, cheap, and probably meant for a child, but I've used it for groceries on my motorcycle, documents and "travel stuff" on the other side of the globe, hauling books and notebooks in grad school, and to pack a small change of clothes or rain jacket when out and about. It swing around on my body for easy access and has a chest strap (great on the motorcycle and bicycle for quick access).

I haven't found a cheap or expensive sling pack that I like as much since i bought it so many years ago... even though my others are better quality.

I've had this little 4 pocket Columbia pack for years, I'm not sure where I got it but I do quite like it.

It is currently what I take with me every work day.
Started with it, then went to a larger SOG tactical style backpack I was gifted and went back to this once a locker became available for me to put my tool pouch and such in.

I like the size and configuration of it, and it's pretty sturdy with it's polyester lined canvas ( or canvas like ) construction.
It's just barely enough really, but it keeps me from bringing too much stuff.

Last edited:
Back