What's Your Favorite Book?

BigBill5953

Gold Member
What's your favorite book? Post a short description, why it is your favorite, and a cover photo if you got it!

I'll start with mine.
Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10.

Description- Marcus Luttrell describes his training in the Navy and then leads on to more advanced BUDS training. He then describes the battle on the side of a mountain and the deaths of his three teammates, leaving him the only survivor of the event.

Why- From the first pages to the very end you're hooked! Luttrell describing BUDS training makes you feel like your right there with him, bustin your ass. The description of the battle on the mountain is captivating and keeps your eyes glued to the pages. It really shows how much you have to go through to be an elite member of the US Navy.

e31c593d.jpg

THE SHACK by WIlliam Young. I reread it occasionally in part or whole to remind myself that I am not ever alone. Even when I think I am.

Mackenzie Allen Philips' youngest daughter, Missy, has been abducted during a family vacation and evidence that she may have been brutally murdered is found in an abandoned shack deep in the Oregon wilderness. Four years later in the midst of his Great Sadness, Mack receives a suspicious note, apparently from God, inviting him back to that shack for a weekend. Against his better judgment he arrives at the shack on a wintry afternoon and walks back into his darkest nightmare. What he finds there will change Mack's world forever.

I'm 65, and I've been reading since before I started school. Also, I read a LOT.... So picking a favorite out of literally thousands of books is nigh impossible.
Among my faves might be:

LOTR
The Once And Future King
The Book Of The New Sun (Wolfe)
Ringworld
The Chronicles Of Amber
Fritz Lieber's Fafherd and Gray Mouser stories
Dune

Lord of the Rings, the Hobbit and the Silmarillion. I know you said booK, singular, but they are my favorites. I have read them all cover to cover, but can pick anyone of them up and read parts again.

I'm 65, and I've been reading since before I started school. Also, I read a LOT.... So picking a favorite out of literally thousands of books is nigh impossible.
Among my faves might be:

LOTR
The Once And Future King
The Book Of The New Sun (Wolfe)
Ringworld
The Chronicles Of Amber
Fritz Lieber's Fafherd and Gray Mouser stories
Dune

I'm not 65 but I've also been reading books for pleasure since I was very little, it looks like we have similar tastes.

I'd add to your collection:

Lord of Light, Roger Zelazny

Heart of the Comet, Brin & Bedford

Bridge of Birds, Barry Hughart

Hyperion (and Endymion) series, Dan Simmons

Lucifer's Hammer, Niven & Pournelle

Empires of the Sea, Roger Crowley

Lucifer's Hammer is a pretty good call.

For me it's probably Atlas Shrugged. A bit cliche, but I find myself drawn to reading it about once a year.

The old man and the boy by Robert Ruark.

A young man spends time learning about outdoorsmanship.
If you like to hunt, fish or camp it's worth reading.

Lots of great Sci-Fi already listed, I would add:

Battlefield Earth

Stranger in a Strange Land, every time I read it I grok something new.

The Postman

and just about anything from William Gibson or Stephen Baxter.

Blood Meridian by Cormack McCarthy

Haven't read that one yet, but "The Road" was excellent. Yet to see the movie, but I doubt it would compare anyway.

cOLD, I love "Stranger in a Strange Land" I'm a huge fan of sci fi as well. Hope this thread keeps going as I'm always looking for something new to read.

I read at least 10 - 15 books a year, but always go back to one in the summertime. My all time favorite book has to be "Treasure Island". Pirates, buried treasure, the open sea, gun fights, what more can you ask for while getting lost in a story while sitting on the beaches of the Atlantic ocean.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream, is my favorite book, I am really not even sure how many times I have read it but it always grabs me by the throat and drags me down into the depths of it's drug fueled insanity. Not for everyone if you are offend by drug fueled insanity please don't read this book, if you love well written stories this is the book for you.

Haven't read that one yet, but "The Road" was excellent. Yet to see the movie, but I doubt it would compare anyway.

Actually, "The Road" movie was probably the best book to movie adaption I have ever seen. Check it out sometime.

I teach Literature as a profession and have read many books, but my favorite is still "East of Eden" by Steinbeck.

Dune series by Frank Herbert and all the other books by him, also Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams followed by Carlos Catenada's Don Juan series and all of tom Browns books on Tracking and Survival, I grew up in Jersey and spent many years wanderin' around the Pine Barrens.

Lets not forget the classics by Edgar Allen Poe...

Anything by Robert A. Heinlein.
Stranger in a Strange Land--
It tells the story of Valentine Michael Smith, a human who has returned to Earth in early adulthood after being raised by Martians on the planet Mars.
The novel explores his interaction with—and the eventual transformation of—Earth culture.

He also wrote---Number of the Beast--Starship Troopers--Farham's Freehold--Puppet Master.....

I've never really been a fan of sci-fi books but after looking some of these up, I may have to check some Of em out.

Back