What's your favorite handle material for fixed blades?

African Blackwood and Desert ironwood are my favourite natural materials followed by G10 and linen micarta.

depends on the 'level' of knife. If it is to be a working knife then I would prefer blue/black G10, but only if the texture is done well. The next would be paper or linen micarta.

For a collection knife, or something I might use only infrequently, a nicely figured wood or burl would be the ticket.

Black canvas micarta and desert ironwood are two of my favorites. If I want something really special and I won't be beating on the knife I like green jigged bone.

I'm glad you mention jigged bone - truly a nice "upgraded" material. But I have no problem with it on a user knife...just not a hard-use knife. (for hand comfort sake)

:thumbup:

Dan

i like antique ivory micarta quite a bit.

thats why i picked up the closest thing i saw @ BLADE..i thought it was maple...but you corrected me ...box elder burl

Bocote is a lovely figured wood, almost as nice as cocobolo.

A wood not seen much in the US is olive wood, the wood from the olive tree. It has tremendous figure, similar in color to Bocote, and smells wonderfully of olives when worked. The Spanish make kitchen utensils and bowls out of it, and I've even seen Nativity scenes carved from it.

Back