What's your favorite Multi-tool

I used an old style Leatherman Wave and Supertool for many years, but my FAVORITES are:

1. Victorinox Spirit - especially after making the knife a plain edge. It is robust, compact, ergonomic, and has a useful array of tools.

2. Victorinox Swisstool - This one is bigger and beefier than the Spirit and I use it if I know it is going to be worked really hard.

If I had a Swisstool X, it would be #2 because it has a scissors, which is indispensible to me.

I carry an old Leatherman Wave daily and I like it. I have an early Gerber I take fishing. I like it because I can get at the pliers one-handed. The later model ones I've seen don't work as smoothly. It's not as well made as the Leatherman.

There is some very wise advice in this thread :thumbup: There is no king of multitools , like what has already been said is you need to find the one that suits you and try and go to a store that has a good selection that you can handle and get the feel of .
For me its the full size Swisstools , I've owned Leathermans , Gerbers and have had a Sog on loan to me .Its the Swisstool that offers the whole package to me that fills my needs .Read and read all the stuff in the forums ( http://forum.multitool.org/index.php is a good one for research ) and then try and handle them in a store .

Dunc

I would offer the Charge TTi as an upgrade to the Wave. Titanium handles and a true S30V main blade - ew, la, la... I love it, and it has served me well in my military excursions.

I wouldn't depend on a Gerber, well, if my life depended on it, :-D (I hate them, as does everyone in my unit that was issued one for Iraq).

My .02, hope you got what you need,
Ryan

I have carried quite a few Multi-tools in my time with the Marine Corps, I have had them issued, given and bought. I recently bought myself a leatherman Ti Charge, I chose it because of the interchangeability of "screwdriver" type tips, other tools, one handed opening knives on outside of handle (can be opened without opening tool handles) comfort of handles when being used, titanium (I really dig titanium things), along with a few other things about the tool. After I bought it and used it several times, I gave most of my other multi-tools away. I kept my SOG-TOOL, for a backup in my back-up kit bag (bag full of back up gear). for all you military types, leatherman makes a molle adaptable sheath.

My No 1 is my gerber scout. I just like the flick open pliers for removing hooks while fishing, or holding something with one hand and be able to open the pliers with the other.

I like my Vic handyman because it has almost every tool i will use(the fine screwdriver works on philips heads) with the exception of a pen, and i dont use pliers much if it will work for emergency tightening of nuts on my bike i will use it. If i need sturdier plyers I use the Kick

I've got 4 now. An older Gerber, SOG Paratool, SOG Powerlock and Leatherman Charge Ti. I keep going back to the SOG Paratool because it is so light and small. I have a Victorinox Swiss champ but I never really thought of them as mulitools although obviously they are. But back to the Paratool. I normally use the pliers 90% of the time when I open it so the locks and bits really are of little consequence to me. I also carry a small Craftsman adjustable wrench (i.e crescent wrench) which works well with pliers for nuts and bolts that go all the way through things.

Core! Was my best buddy for keeping our living quarters working while deployed to Afghanistan, good tools!

I just bought the Surge & thought I was getting an all USA made knife. Nowhere on the knife does it say USA, nowhere on the sealed packaging did it say USA. I called Leatherman & they said it is assembled in the USA of foreign made parts. This knife just shouts China when you look at it. The fit & material looks very poor to me. The first thing I noticed was what looks like soft stainless for the sides, I expected heat treated stainless, this looks like dimestore spoons to me. Someone felt that shinier is better. It does shine, I'll give em that. I like quality. I did not expect gaps & marred pieces that mated to the end sections. Someone thought out a very good design, this knife has great features, I wish some quality would have gone into it. I did not expect that this would be one of the early Schrade ST1's in quality. I expected that this would be like Leatherman's earlier Supertools etc. This is just one cheap looking knife in my opinion. I'm not alone, I've read other reviews that come to the conclusion that if you are someone who enjoys pride of ownership, look elsewhere. I intend to keep this untill someone comes out with a USA made quality knife with the features this has. It is a shame that after thinking out a great design they built something this cheap looking.

For me, #1 would be a SwissTool X or RS for maximum versatility and robust build quality. A truly heavy duty user.

I also have several Leatherman Tools in tow, but there is just something about the Victorinox Tools (including SAKs) that make me always go back to them time and again. =)

+1 for 1) Leatherman Charge TTi

And

+1 for 2) Leatherman Blast

I own both and I love em'. -DT

For me, #1 would be a SwissTool X or RS for maximum versatility and robust build quality. A truly heavy duty user.

I also have several Leatherman Tools in tow, but there is just something about the Victorinox Tools (including SAKs) that make me always go back to them time and again. =)

For me, the other way around. Although I own and am duly impressed with several Vic products, usually when preparing to do actual work, I reach for the large Leatherman (previously Super Tool, now Core). In design and execution, the Swisstools are elegant and tough , but I find the Core sturdy enough, easier to use and with better pliers and screwdrivers.

Both makes have good points. For ten years now I have been bouncing back and forth between Vic and Leatherman, not that I'm complaining.

Leatherman Wave for me.The older style with the springs on the hinges, non locking screwdrivers.I have anothe as a backup,when I sent my broken one back I asked them to send me back the exact same kind.The one I am carrying now, the bolsters where the screwdrivers pivot, are textured. The backup these bolsters are smooth.Other than that they are identical.To me the wave is an egineering masterpiece.As far as I'm concerned the wave is the closest to a folding knife than any other tool
Second favorite is my Leatherman Juice. I keep it in the kitchen in case I need it.
Third.Victorinox swisstool and Vic tinker (I think it's the tinker with pliers).
Fourth Gerber
Fifth Sog Switchplier...I really like it but it lacks a phillips.

As in my previous post ,I finally purchased a LM Wave , the original with leather sheath,i prefer it over the other multi-tools i have and i carry it every where !!

I have just about every multitool you could buy and each all have there pro's and con's but for my these are my three best-

#1 Leatherman Charge TTI.. Great knife blade material
#2 Leatherman Core
#3 Gerber 800 Legend

I have the swisstools and the spirit but honestly I don't use them as much. I am not saying that they are bad or anything, but for my needs the one handed knife blades wins me over, the spring tension on the swisstools is just a turnoff to me, and I dislike the '' stout'' blunt pliers. Although I do love to use swisstools fishing because of there amazing rust and corrosion resistance! But I really have never had a problem with rust on leathermans.

ive had about all of them give or take a few in the past and the two that stay with me till this day and served me well are the leatherman charge and vic deluxe tinker.been perfect for me out of the other tools out there:)

I better get off before I get it in my skull to get a Charge.Funny, being around this forum there seems to be a following for SAKs. After reading a few threads on them it made me bust out my deluxe tinker and soldier.The tinker has a sound all its own when the blades drop in.They really are quality stuff.The Swisstool is quality, but like Leatherman says, you need fingernails and the pliers are too stout for needlenose.

I have a Gerber a large Swiss tool and a Surge.
I like the Surge the best.
I use it all day in my construction job.

Back