What's your general sheath preferences?

What are your general sheath preferences?

• Leather Only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kydex Only

• Nylon/Cordura Only

• Any of the 3 above is fine

• Depends on the knife

• Large knives = leather

• Small knives = kydex

• Leather and/or Kydex, but not Nylon/Cordura

• I prefer tooled leather

• Plain leather for me

• Total voters

Daniel Koster

www.kosterknives.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Leather, Kydex, Nylon/Cordura?

or other?

Depends on the knife?

Large blades - leather only?

Small tactical - kydex preferred?

This is a multi-vote poll....so have at it and let me know.

Thanks!!!

Dan

Depends on the knife I think.....

Was a leather holster guy all the way for my 1911's. Bought a Glock, and for some reason I put it in kydex. Same deal with knives. Got a tactical on order for my Bushcraft, but something about it wants leather.... Got one of those on order too...

You don't put grandma in leather pants and you don't put a football player in a dress. However, you could put a rocker in either. So I would say that some styles may dictate one or the other, while some are more versatile.

Allen

I like kydex for knives that will be worn close to the skin, like neckers or SD knives. I like either leather or kydex for large knives, doesn't matter, but I've taken to hotwaxing my leather sheaths for less moisture worries.

Some knives look wrong in one or the other, I would bet most people could look at a particular knife and the majority would choose one or the other material for that knife.

Might make a fun thread!

Andy

I like leather for the looks and kydex for the "practical". So for me: leather with a kydex liner.

I like leather sheaths for knives with natural handle materials and kydex or nylon sheaths for knives with synthetic handles.

If money is not an issue, I prefer Leather w/ Kydex. But it really depends on the knife and how I'm going to use it.

I have a strong preference for leather sheaths, however kydex can provide for some carry options that are more difficult with leather. I prefer kydex for neck knives, for example. As others have said, the knife usually decides which is preferable.

But all else equal, give me leather.

It depends on the knife, and the intended use:

Rustic looking knife, leather
Tactical knife, kydex or cordura

Wet, rainy conditions, kydex
Dry, sunny conditions, leather

One knife, minimal pack, cordura because it usually has a sizable pouch on the front

So, it sounds like I like different sheaths for the same knife, and I do. Most of my field knives have multiple sheaths. I then choose the sheath that best fits what I'm taking it out for.

Leather, Kydex or both.
I have knives for which I have multiple Kydex and leather sheaths. It depends more on how I am going to be using/carrying than what knife it is.

This is one reason I like the option of "no sheath." I can mess around and make a few different Kydex and leather sheaths to see what I like best. While mine may not be as nice as what the pro's make, I get a lot of versatility. Sometimes I use a knife-maker's sheath though. Just a shame to leave them to collect dust so it's nice to be able to just not get one with the knife.

Jeff H

I will do either leather or kydex for users...but only leather for non-users.

great comments, guys - keep 'em coming!

Back