When a knife you don’t expect to like that much becomes your favorite

It happened to me with the GEC #66 Tidioute Calf Roper and the #35 Churchill Tidioute. I was eager to get a Churchill — equal end, clip and sheep foot, single spring — sounded like my perfect user. A BF member offered me one which I snapped up. Great knife. But, the day before I learned that the Churchill would be available I found a Calf Roper in ebony and bought it. I had passed on the 66s before but something about them drew me in. Both knives came within a day of each other.

As I keep on learning, one can’t really judge a knife until you have it in hand, and my hand and brain says the Calf Roper is definitely for me. The overall size, shape, heft and blade selections are excellent. And, even for GEC, the build quality is superb. I expected the sheep foot blade would, when closed, interfere with my grip, but it is so well placed that it does not, much like the Churchill does not.

I like the Calf Roper more than the Churchill mainly because it is a bit smaller and carry’s well and feels great in hand. It is a hidden gem. Who would have thought?

Is this thread a comment on a knife, any traditional, that surprised you, or were you thinking of keeping this 35/66 focused?

For me, if 2 knives are in a dead heat with one another, the slimmer/lighter/smaller one wins. I love my 66s (but I also love my 35 pattern Drover).

It's definitely a tough decision between those two. I bought multiples of each but as far as the Calf Ropers are concerned, the Antique Autumn Jigged Bone turned out to be my favorite.

View attachment 1166336
View attachment 1166337
I just ordered an antique Jigged bone. Best to have more than one!
Is this thread a comment on a knife, any traditional, that surprised you, or were you thinking of keeping this 35/66 focused?

Nope. Any traditional knives are fair game.

Not so much individual knives, but two different classes of knives have had this effect on me. The first was several Rough Rider models. At 10-12 bucks apiece, they should NOT compare to the many more expensive knives I have, but several of their unique patterns have found their way into my usage more than a few times. The 3⅜" Eureka stockman is one such pattern, just a winner!

utba3Tl.jpg

The second class of knives I didn't expect to like so much are alox SAKs, and primarily the Cadet pattern. Small, thin and light, with a compliment of tools I really use, and just a joy to hold and manipulate with its very tactile ribbed alox. Plus, they just look so good when the anodizing starts to wear in. ;)

Hbjl00K.jpg

I normally don’t like clip blades, so I wasn’t sure how much I would like the GEC 22. I got it because I wanted a stout watch pocket knife, and it had worm grooved bone covers.

Several years later it is still one of my go-to small knives! Terrific build quality and a perfect size for small daily tasks:thumbsup:

The churchill sounds and looks wrong but in hand I agree it is a delight

As far as the 66 tho. I am not as convinced even though I have a few.
Those who haven’t handled the ubiquitous and beautiful Schrade UH 897 probably should... the Schrade compares very well.

Last edited:
Great thread ... I never had any use for the muskrat pattern - couldn't see any practical use for 2 identical blades. Then I took a shot and cobbed one of the blades into a wharncliffe & it's become my day in day out all time favorite pattern ...

KpWw5p7.jpg

I've been quite surprised by my quick and strong attachment to this Red Trout Boy's Knife. :eek:Somewhat like Hickory n Steel, I can't exactly explain it but... I do like it more than I thought I would and maybe even more than the little knife warrants. :confused: Could have something to do with having gotten to know the seller a little bit or because it was made by ea42, (who made the 2015 BF CSC annual I like so well), I don't know for certain. Three things I do know; it suits me just right, I'm glad to have it and I will be carrying it often. :cool:

dMAcogm.jpg

wC8BoOU.jpg

This is an easy question for me to answer; Case Medium Congress.

I'd seen it and debated getting one before supplies ran out but in my mind I was picturing it to be about the same size as a Medium Stockman. While those are great knives, they are just a touch on the small side for my EDC preferences. But my wife bought me a Congress for a gift and it was instant love! Definitely larger than a Medium Stockman but still in that medium-sized knife category.

There's a variety of reasons I like it but the bottom line is, it has mostly supplanted my other knives. I have to make a conscious decision to grab one of the others, otherwise this guy just leaps into my pocket. I must get more! :D

kAiIBXd.jpg

Last edited:
I've never bought a knife that I didn't expect to like. There are quite a few knives that I didn't like as much as I expected. :(

It happened to me with the GEC #66 Tidioute Calf Roper and the #35 Churchill Tidioute. I was eager to get a Churchill — equal end, clip and sheep foot, single spring — sounded like my perfect user. A BF member offered me one which I snapped up. Great knife. But, the day before I learned that the Churchill would be available I found a Calf Roper in ebony and bought it. I had passed on the 66s before but something about them drew me in. Both knives came within a day of each other.

As I keep on learning, one can’t really judge a knife until you have it in hand, and my hand and brain says the Calf Roper is definitely for me. The overall size, shape, heft and blade selections are excellent. And, even for GEC, the build quality is superb. I expected the sheep foot blade would, when closed, interfere with my grip, but it is so well placed that it does not, much like the Churchill does not.

I like the Calf Roper more than the Churchill mainly because it is a bit smaller and carry’s well and feels great in hand. It is a hidden gem. Who would have thought?

I have a few favorites above the 66 but it is way up there. I bought a lot of them.

I can echo your sentiments on the 66 calf ropers, Mayonardo Mayonardo

Still searching for a Churchill myself...another pattern I regret selling!

I find liking something more than you expected happens a lot with traditionals.
A fairly recent discovery for me has been the Case Trapper, both mini and regular. The mini was my 2018 knife of the year in Mr. Black's annual thread. I only got one because of the caplifter, but soon fell under it's spell. Now I have two.

The full-sized version found me courtesy of a GAW hosted by @Prester John
Now I have two.
I just enjoy the size and simplicity. The feel in hand. The snap is great, too.

Trappers by D P, on Flickr

Back