When did Hinderer change their font?

CRKDMike

Gold Member
Hey guys, I have searched google for this, and also on BF, but I cannot find any info. From what I can tell, the font used on my newly acquired hinderer is a little "fatter" and "fun looking" than any of my older Hinderers. See the pic below.

Any idea when Hinderer made the font change? does any one else own a hinderer that use this font? a part of me is worried that it may even be a fake, although if it is a fake, it is a damn sexy one, and I almost wouldn't care ;)

dd8ed6563460eeaa2905f34a35e3a3cb.jpg

Same font. Probably just be the difference in the depth of the tool when machining it. The stud looks cool. The Ti anodized stud being a flat stud is correct as well as I've never seen a rounded top anodized stud. Pic of the entire knife would help, but from what I'm seeing so far, looks totally legit.

I just bought an XM-18 and when I compared it to my other XM-18 the font on the new one is thicker.
My clip was also in a different position. I was also worried about it being a fake and I emailed pictures of them to Hinderer. Rob got back to me very quickly and assured me that they were both authentic.
It must just be a change in the manufacturing process.
You can see my pics on the thread under this one.

David is basically correct, there has been no change, it is just a difference in the engraving tooling and the particular CNC machines that made the individual locksides. Here is a quote from Rick on the matter:

There are a couple reasons and it all has to do with the tool that is used, we use a engraving tool in the cnc mill to engrave my name in the lockside, this tool is very small and is tapered. If you vary the depth by just .001 you will see a difference in the width of the letters because of the taper of the tool. Also the depth of the letters will be slightly +/-.001 different because of factors such as slightly different thickness titanium (+/-.001). Also at play is we are using two different engraving tools on two different machines, that will change though as I am ordering another of the same tool soon. So there you have the official reason!

David is basically correct, there has been no change, it is just a difference in the engraving tooling and the particular CNC machines that made the individual locksides. Here is a quote from Rick on the matter:

There are a couple reasons and it all has to do with the tool that is used, we use a engraving tool in the cnc mill to engrave my name in the lockside, this tool is very small and is tapered. If you vary the depth by just .001 you will see a difference in the width of the letters because of the taper of the tool. Also the depth of the letters will be slightly +/-.001 different because of factors such as slightly different thickness titanium (+/-.001). Also at play is we are using two different engraving tools on two different machines, that will change though as I am ordering another of the same tool soon. So there you have the official reason!

Thanks everyone! sorry I ever doubted the whole "depth" concept. It doesn't look any deeper, but from RDA's post, I suppose it is possible....

BTW the term "bubbly-er" is now copyrighted.....it will replace "bubblier", which I had no idea was in fact a real word :)

Back