When do you really NEED that 7 inch blade on a ka-bar?

I will probably start a fight and be derided for asking this question, but other than stabbing somebody, what will the classic ka-bar fighting utility knife do that my Mark 1 with the 5 inch blade won't? I know it's way cool, class, and I even hope to have one some day; but when is it more useful? I can see that the larger blade might be better for wood processing and things like that, but I would probably get something full tang like a Becker if I was going to to that. Realistically, when do you USE the 7 inch blade?

I use a 7 inch blade all the time.

I like longer blades myself.

Better chopping capabilities

can baton bigger logs

and a whole lotta other awesome stuff.

I have only found four uses for those two extra inches.
Food prep (also a hinderence in food prep)
Thicker batoning ability
Better chop / swing ability
Intimidation

I have found 4.5 to 5 is perfect for 95% of my outdoor adventures.

Chopping, batoning, digging, and (for our military) the possibility of fighting. It is, after all, called the Combat Utility.

Prying, too. Had to pry apart a heavily checked log when camping a few weeks ago and my BK7 worked aces. Since the log happened to be ON FIRE I was grateful for the longer knife :)

Like what others have said. Longer gives more reach (for fighting), more power (for chopping), and the ability to process larger items (baton larger logs, cut larger food whatever).

They also give you more edge to work with in terms of the actual edge. If a small part of the edge gets toasted (chipped, rolled whatever), then you have more blade to work with.

I actually think the 7in size is pretty nice for carry in the outdoors. The USMC carries well, as its fairly light, but it will still do everything you need it to.

I will probably start a fight and be derided for asking this question, but other than stabbing somebody, what will the classic ka-bar fighting utility knife do that my Mark 1 with the 5 inch blade won't?

Baton through 6" logs. Wanna know what a 9" long BK9 will do that a 7" blade won't? :D

---

Beckerhead #42

I believe that fighting knives that are military issue have to be the length of the setting Kings wiener so I guess who ever was King at the time they came out had a 7 inch slong. I guess who ever was King when yours came out only had a 5 incher. This is why a woman can never be King because the military could not have a fighting knife if there was.

The Case Peanut will be standard issue when I become King.

If you ever used a knife in a fight you'd better be prepared to get in some serious trouble. Unless of course the other guy pulled his first. Even still, I'd rather have a smaller knife. I KNOW this has been said before but I'll still say it anyways lol. If you have an axe or saw the 7 inch blade really isn't anymore useful then a 5 inch blade. The only time I'd rather have a longer blade is if I had nothing else with me.

If you ever used a knife in a fight you'd better be prepared to get in some serious trouble. Unless of course the other guy pulled his first. Even still, I'd rather have a smaller knife. I KNOW this has been said before but I'll still say it anyways lol. If you have an axe or saw the 7 inch blade really isn't anymore useful then a 5 inch blade. The only time I'd rather have a longer blade is if I had nothing else with me.

Couldn't agree more. That 7" blade though does crest a burm of going from utility to combat though.

Lets face it, knives make shitty defensive weapons, but great offensive weapons. Our soldiers use them for more than opening MRE's. Not EVERY soldier, but there are some whose mission success and lives depend on being able to use a blade to do their job. I've talked to quite a few of them, and if proof is what you need to see to believe me, well, you're just not going to get it.

That said, their utility is still there, waiting to be realized, under all that black combat knife looking facade, lies the heart of a true work horse. :D

Moose

Well, I've thought about it, and I don't need more than a 5" blade for what I do, but my BK7 gives me options, which I like as many of as possible. Options are good.
As far as fighting with it goes, if I have my 7 on my belt, I'm either hunting or getting ready to do so, so I have a fairly high powered rifle or a shotgun close by. If I run out of ammo, I can fight with it, but then again, if I, a civilian, have been stoopid enough to get myself into a situation where 5 rounds just won't cut it, I'm probably not gonna survive anyway.
The option are still good though.

It's always better to have a few extra inches. I'd much rather have seven inches and only need 4, than to have only four and need seven.

Last edited:
I have both the 5.25 inch Kabar and the 7 inch Kabar. They both fill different roles. The shorter kabar is good for smaller cutting tasks and detail work where you need precision.... The larger kabar feels heavier in the hand and has much more cutting power.

One isn't better than the other. It's just a matter of what you need.

Larger knives make better draw knives. And surprisingly I have done that many times with my larger blades (BK9 works great).

Also, if it wasn't 7in it wouldn't be the classic USMC, it would be something else :p.

Back