Where can a find a decent laguiole for a low-ish price?

I've been wanting a laguiole ever since I stumbled across an article on them, but so far the only ones I can find are either too pricey for my range (triple-digits and more), or are plain cheap junk (sub $20) that are for appearances only (and that only if you don't look too close). From what I read in the article, these are still considered standard eating utensils in parts of France, so it seems like one ought to be able to find one of functional construction and materials, yet for an affordable price, say under $50. Maybe I just don't know where to look, but I haven't found anything yet.

I've been wanting a laguiole ever since I stumbled across an article on them, but so far the only ones I can find are either too pricey for my range (triple-digits and more), or are plain cheap junk (sub $20) that are for appearances only (and that only if you don't look too close). From what I read in the article, these are still considered standard eating utensils in parts of France, so it seems like one ought to be able to find one of functional construction and materials, yet for an affordable price, say under $50. Maybe I just don't know where to look, but I haven't found anything yet.

I just bought this one off of EB for $55 (plus $3.50 shipping). So, I suggest you look there.

s-l1600.jpg

I love it. It was in NM condition. Just a few very little scratches on the polished blade. It looks modern, not vintage, when compared to others offered for sale, but this was the only one offered in a set like this.

The brass bolster, brass liners and the brass finial on top of the sharpening rod polished up fine. Not sure what the wood is but it's beautiful and there is a very attractive scroll engraved along the spine from the little bee (like the one imprinted on the sheath cover) sitting atop the blade stop down to the bottom. The leather sheath was very dry, so I treated it w/Lexol and mink oil and it's very supple and much darker now.

I'm not sure what the actual value of this or any of the other Laguoile knives is in the collector's market but my impression is that they are very undervalued on EB (probably because most are modern knockoffs like this one) but I'm still thinking about buying a few more that appeal to me.

Frankly, I didn't know anything about Laguoile before I read that Spyderco once issued a Laguoile/Ramco knife that was made in Japan in the 90's. In fact, there's one for sale on EB now w/an asking price of $725! It's beautiful but ouch! I don't care if I paid "too much" for this particular knife because I like it and don't think I'll ever sell it. So, I think I got a good deal regardless.

BTW: I just read the following disclaimer in a listing for a modern Laguoile steak knife set that I'm interest in buying: "Laguiole is not a registered trademark. The word “Laguiole” is a generic term, not legally restricted to any single company or place of manufacture." I've seen a lot of "Laguiole" knives offered for sale by EB sellers from the Ukraine, Bulgaria and China. So, as w/everything else, caveat emptor!

Last edited:
Robert David Laguiole knives are affordable and made in France.

They make a bunch of different sizes and handle materials. The price range is from $75 and up.
Last year I bought a larger model ( 4.63") in snake wood and it's very well made.
They're easy to find on line.

You may want to post the question in the Traditionals sub-forum as well. Several folks there with lots of knowledge on these that don't venture into the General area often.

At ~$50, you're making things a little rough.

One thing to watch for on these knives, especially at the low price points is the blade contacting the back spring when snapped closed or compressed.

Ok, I've already spent $90 on a couple of Laguiole "facsimiles" but I've finally learned what a REAL Laguiole is and why all the other so-called knives are NOT considered "fakes nor copies" but just made "in the style of Laguiole."

See: Fake Laguiole Knives & Corkscrews - Learn How to Recognize One.

Here are a couple of quotes from this webpage written by Laguiole Imports, an authorized seller of knives actually made in Laguiole, France:

"It is important to be aware that Laguiole is not a single manufacturer or a brand of knives but rather the name of a small village in the department of Aveyron in France. The village of Laguiole is where the famous Laguiole style of cutlery we know today first appear - more about Laguiole history here. The style of knives first appeared in the small village but unfortunately the name was never registered and, as a result became part of the public domain. It is a fact that anyone can use the name "Laguiole" and place it on cutlery related items regardless if the objects are made in France or have a 'Laguiole" design/style.
As of January 2019 there are still no regulations associated with Laguiole cutlery. The name "Laguiole" is free to use on cutlery items by anyone - including you and it can be manufactured anywhere in the world.

"Only a hand full of manufacturers produce handmade Laguiole knives for exports in the village of Laguiole, France. The most noticeable, and by far is "Forge de Laguiole" (the forges of Laguiole)". One needs to beware that a large number of "Laguiole" manufacturers in France and sadly in other countries are producing "cookie-cutter" Laguiole cutlery that are mass produced and cheaply made. Other shops make knives in the village, but most of their business is from local tourism."

Laguiole knives actually made by various companies located in the village of Laguiole, France are sold on the same website from which this information is taken and most of these knives vary in price from around $100-400, which is well w/in my ability to buy them but far beyond the OP's preferred limit of $50.

I will keep the facsimile Laguioles that I just bought and will treat them as users. However, now that I know what an authentic Laguiole is, I will also buy a few of them to add to my larger collection of knives.

Last edited:
I'm happy that what I bought looks like an earlier and much nicer version of this so-called "Super Trekker" set. Guess I'll call mine a "vintage" Super Trekker set to distinguish it from the one that is currently available for sale.

Your knife is undoubtedly of higher quality.

Your knife is undoubtedly of higher quality.

Yes, I think so. It's also marked "France" which supposedly denotes greater authenticity but there is no maker identification so it probably wasn't made in the village of Laguiole. It was too inexpensive to have been made there but I'm happy w/the quality of the knife, sheath and sharpening rod nonetheless.

I'm planning to buy a few authentic Laguioles and it will be interesting to see how this knife compares to those when I do.

Check out Courty & Fils in Paris (http://www.couteaux-courty.com/). Had the good fortune to discover their shop near our hotel a few years ago -- there is a wooden map of France in their window mounted with French-made Laguioles from several areas. Bought an Opinel #8 Carbon there for 8.50 Euros as we were on a budget, but their prices overall seem reasonable.

Back