Where can I get a decent straight razor?

Hi guys, I'm new to this straight razor thing. I was wondering where you can find a decent straight razor for shaving.

How much would one cost around? Angle to sharpen with? Can I shave my head with it or is it a face only deal?

Sorry about the noobness on this, but I'm just sick of the regular razors, and my shaving with my folders just looks weird.

Classic Shaving

Shaving Shop

Vintage Blades, LLC

A decent razor will set you back at least $50.00 for new or NOS stock. They go up from their, and are based more on embellishment than refinement of performance. eBay is another area to research -- sometimes a really decent (& shave-ready) straight razor is put up for auction.

A word of warning -- straight razors are not fully sharpened (honed) for use after leaving the factory; pretty much all of them require some honing prior to the first shave. I recommend using the available honing services of the vendors listed above.

To actually hone a razor, you simply lay the blade flat on the hone -- edge and spine touching -- then stroke [usually] in an X-pattern. The X-patttern is helpful for hones that are narrower than the blade is long, or for stones that aren't lapped completely flat. I think the inclusive angle for the edge winds up being somewhere in the 12-15 degree range.

Can this be done at home?I want one now! I'm so sick of my razor clogging up.

Any advice on how fine a stone I should use for the "honing"?

Yep -- can be done at home.

The standard is Norton's 4k/8k combination hone. However, others use various japanese water hones in similar grit ratings.

Of course, you can always use the handheld "barber's" hones too. The hard part is determining what kind of honing qualities they have -- grit, speed, finish, etc. -- since the information isn't very well documented.

Guys that are really fanatical about their edges will go upwards in grit from here. Some use 12k, 15k, even 30k! Then there are various pastes -- boron carbide (1.8 micron), chromium oxide (0.5 micron), and diamond (3, 1, 0.5, 0.25 micron) -- for use on paddle or hanging strops.

Honing a straight razor can be tricky -- don't be surprised if you don't get it right the first time out. Many recommend getting a razor honed by someone with proficiency in the skill, so you have a benchmark to compare to.

I'd also like to recommend this document, pertaining to straight razor shaving, as you begin your journey.

Back