Where did the lightness go...childhood memories

Today was a nice sunny day so I headed out for a walk into the woods to catch some fresh air.

On my way home I thought about my pack.
I had a 34 Liter backpack, quite packed.
In it the "essentials".
FAK, light, toilet paper, writing utensils, a large folding matress to sit on (was 2°C), spare down west, bottle of water, small solid fuel stove and 600ml pot, brews, cup, spoon, my whittling set (wood, roll of knifes, strop), folding saw, some snacks, a Leatherman, binocs, ...

Such a burden.
I thought about my childhood, when I played in the woods building huts, bow and arrow, went gathering berries and mushrooms...

In my pockets there was literally this.
Exactly this. Only this.
My childhoods knife. Some twine.
I didnt even own a phone back then, nobody did. Maybe I had a watch, not sure about that.

20231209-190537.jpg

I cant remember when I felt this lightness the last time.

At some point it was gone and never came back.

I overthink too much, plan too much, have too much.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading.
Just wanted to share some thoughts and memories.

Michael

I get it. When I was a kid, I would venture off into the woods with a pocket knife and a stick and be gone for hours. This isn't like I'm recollecting back 60 years ago or something. This was back in the late 80s and early 90s.

Today I am going to the mall: slip joint in my fifth pocket, Spartan folder in my right, Civilian in my back pocket, leatherman in my left, and a pistol in my waistband because people are nuts.

I couple probably pack the slip joint and be totally fine.

I get it. When I was a kid, I would venture off into the woods with a pocket knife and a stick and be gone for hours. This isn't like I'm recollecting back 60 years ago or something. This was back in the late 80s and early 90s.

Today I am going to the mall: slip joint in my fifth pocket, Spartan folder in my right, Civilian in my back pocket, leatherman in my left, and a pistol in my waistband because people are nuts.

I couple probably pack the slip joint and be totally fine.
Mall? What is mall?

I cant remember when I felt this lightness the last time.

At some point it was gone and never came back.

I overthink too much, plan too much, have too much.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading.
Just wanted to share some thoughts and memories.

Michael

It's called the innocence of youth. When we're that young, we haven't found out how bad and unforgiving the real world, can be, so we didn't over think it. Then we grow up and it gets complicated.

Or another way you can put it, kids see black and white. Shades of gray come with adulthood.

Yes. Once across the threshold of adulthood you can never go back. Would I really want to? I’m not so sure.

The Wonder Years ~ BMX Bicycles, Electric Racetracks, Tonka Trucks, Sling Shots, BB Rifles, .25 cent Arcades, Trips to the Shopping Mall, State Fairs, Carnivals and Flower Festivals ~ Camping Trips, Vacations, Disneyland, Knotts Berry Farm, Magic Mountain, Universal Studio's ~ Deer Hunting for the First Time with your Great Uncles and Grandfather ~ Weekend Trips to the Beach and Ocean, Boggie Boarding and Swimming in the Lagoon ~ Awe the Wonder Years ~ Playing Neighborhood Games- Duck Duck Goose, Red Light Green Light, Red Rover Red Rover, Hopscotch, Jump Rope, Family Fishing Trips, Catching Lizards with long Grass Made Noose's ~ Chasing catching Snakes and Finding Mice Nests under wood boards and Sprawled out Spare Tires and Machinery ~ Water Balloon Fights and Squirt Gun's, Playing Army with Plastic Green Army Men and Rubber-Bands ~ and the list goes on ~ {WONDER YEARS} ~ and the Blessings of Childhood ~ Many Blessings can go Forgotten through the Hussle and Bustle of lives ~ "Reflections" and "Gratitude" ~ Rubber band Fights ~ Swap Meets ~ Hide and go Seek ~ "Ding Dong Ditch..."Neighbors Least Favorite" ~ Recollection Road ~ Good Stuff ~
You forgot our usual EDC back then was a yo-yo in one pocket and Spaldine high bounce in the other….

n2s

Back