Where do you go to use your knives?

Before letting my kids "test" knives, I taught them how to handle them. I started them both off with Opinels because they lacked springs of any sort so less chance of accidental closure due to weak fingers and clumsiness. I then moved them both to slip joints of various sorts and later, to lock backs. They've also been taught how to handle knives in the kitchen regularly. We also keep a fire pit in the back yard, so they get regular practice with making kindling in support to the various camping trips we take. I also think whittling and small wood working skills are useful and I taught my kids the basics using back yard sticks. If we had no access to sticks, small wood working projects in the kitchen would have worked just fine.

I think there are several things going on here. Top of the list is that large knives aren't necessary for hiking and backpacking because fires aren't necessary. Seeing big knives hanging off of somebody's pack isn't uncommon because of law enforcement issues so much as it is simply not needed. In teaching my kids outdoor skills, I've taught them how to light and manage camping stoves. My daughter can light pretty much any white gas stove - my son most. Both know their way around canister stoves and both are comfortable with alcohol stoves. IMO, its a critical outdoor skill, just as tent/tarp craft is and just like managing modern clothing systems in foul weather. My kids both carry knives in the woods and both know how to light fires should the need arise, but as a matter of course, they don't rely on knives for fires because they don't rely on fires.

I'm a big knife fan and a fan of big knives. I'm also a big fan of firearms. But when on hiking trails on public lands, I see the open carry of large fixed blades in the same way as I see the open carry of firearms. It's massively unusual and, to my eyes, it's just a half-step away from provocation and brandishing. On maintained trails, there's just no need for having quick and regular access to a big knife, so my interpretation is that its there to send a message to me and other people. Obviously, if the trail is not maintained and there is a need for access to a cutting tool as a part of moving around, that's another story all together.

IME, the ecology of public lands varies dramatically across the country, as do the rates of usage. I give a lot of credence to the local regulations of a public land based on localized management goals of local managers. What works in west Texas and in central Maine will be different. A lot of public lands I've been to get so much use that land managers often discourage open fires and harvesting of wood. If you've ever seen a backcountry campsite stripped of undergrowth and pock-marked with poorly maintained and trashed fire rings, you can understand how and why these restrictions come into being. But I've also been to places that can sustain and allow for fires.

This isn't my experience at all. I always carry a knife in pubic forests. It's usually in my fanny pack or in my backpack. Size and type varies depending on trip ranging from a 3" folder to a 7" fixed blade. Once in camp or a rest stop, so long a my knife use fits within what is expected and legal in that area, nobody says boo about it. I regularly use fixed blades for making fires on public lands and it's easily tolerated. But hiking down the trail with Buck Reaper hanging from my pack straps -- there's just no need for that and people would have the right to be suspicious of me if I did.
I can't believe you just said seeing a big knife on someone who's in the woods is borderline brandishing. :eek::thumbsdown:

Just because you use alcohol stoves doesn't mean everyone has to or should. It's people like you that cause ridiculous laws :thumbsdown:

I can't believe you just said seeing a big knife on someone who's in the woods is borderline brandishing. :eek::thumbsdown:

Just because you use alcohol stoves doesn't mean everyone has to or should. It's people like you that cause ridiculous laws :thumbsdown:

He would surely freak out if he saw my 1311 or my Behemoth Chopper strapped to my pack and the bonfire I have burning in the middle of the wilderness. In the dead of Winter, I don't see how an alcohol stove is going to keep people warm?

He would surely freak out if he saw my 1311 or my Behemoth Chopper strapped to my pack and the bonfire I have burning in the middle of the wilderness. In the dead of Winter, I don't see how an alcohol stove is going to keep people warm?
That's because we're amateur mountaineers who stay below the treeline.

Deep breath.

Alcohol stoves and canister stoves and Optimus stoves are all fine. I have a little battered Optimus that goes back to 1972. It works well for what it's supposed to do. BUT...stuff happens. What do you do if one of your party, or you, take a fall and a dunk in a creek, or you have to leave someone while you go for help. Life ain't Mr. Roger's neighborhood, or Pee-wee's playhouse. emergencies happen in remote places as we;; as in town. And when it does, you may need to make a good size fire to warm someone up, or send up a nice smoky sign for the park rangers to investigate, or keep yourself warm when the little valve in your stove leaks or something isn't working as it should be.

A good size fixed blade is a nice thing to have in the woods, and if someone is offended by one in plain sight, then that person needs to go get some professional counseling. In wet snowy woods your going to have a hard time building a good fire without the right tool to process the wood.

Or...here's another thought; sometimes theres large carnivores that think we humans taste like chicken. And, unbelievably, sometimes those carnivores pop up in unlikely places very close to civilization. Where else can they feast on backyard pets and these two legged creatures that taste like chicken? Certainly one wold not think of running into a mountain lion 30 miles outside of Washington D.C.. But it happened. The local park ranger did confirm they had sightings of one in Black Hill Regional park, but being the peoples republik of marylandistan, carrying a firearm was not an option. But...Maryland law said a large fixed blade was okay as long as it was not concealed. So, stepping off pavement anywhere, and not being able to carry a gun, a nice large fixed blade can be an handy thing to have. Coming face to face with a mountain lion in a suburban surrounding is a life and attitude changing thing. That SAK in a pocket suddenly seems sooooo under whelming. In 2014 Karen and I were hiking in the Cleveland wilderness area in California not far from the daughters place in Mission Viejo. There at the trail head was a sign warning of rattle snakes and mountain lions. The old Camillus army issue MK2 came out of the day pack on onto my hip. Screw what the other hikers may think.

Stuff happens. You're either ready for it or you ain't. Or better to have it and not need it, than suddenly really really REALLY need it and not have it. It may be the last time you need it.

Last edited:
I love good museums, concerts, pubs, restaurants, and much more.

All of the above are just a few of the many, many good reasons to VISIT the big cities. You don't have to live there to enjoy those things. In fact, for some of us, we enjoy them all the more because we don't live there.

It's different, but often no less enjoyable.

I can go to world-class museums, concerts, a huge choice of great pubs and restaurants, join clubs...

I love good museums, concerts, pubs, restaurants, and much more.

All of the above are just a few of the many, many good reasons to VISIT the big cities. You don't have to live there to enjoy those things. In fact, for some of us, we enjoy them all the more because we don't live there.
The same could be said about wilderness.

Deep breath.

Alcohol stoves and canister stoves and Optimus stoves are all fine. I have a little battered Optimus that goes back to 1972. It works well for what it's supposed to do. BUT...stuff happens. What do you do if one of your party, or you, take a fall and a dunk in a creek, or you have to leave someone while you go for help. Life ain't Mr. Roger's neighborhood, or Pee-wee's playhouse. emergencies happen in remote places as we;; as in town. And when it does, you may need to make a good size fire to warm someone up, or send up a nice smoky sign for the park rangers to investigate, or keep yourself warm when the little valve in your stove leaks or something isn't working as it should be.

A good size fixed blade is a nice thing to have in the woods, and if someone is offended by one in plain sight, then that person needs to go get some professional counseling. In wet snowy woods your going to have a hard time building a good fire without the right tool to process the wood.

Or...here's another thought; sometimes theres large carnivores that think we humans taste like chicken. And, unbelievably, sometimes those carnivores pop up in unlikely places very close to civilization. Where else can they feast on backyard pets and these two legged creatures that taste like chicken? Certainly one wold not think of running into a mountain lion 30 miles outside of Washington D.C.. But it happened. The local park ranger did confirm they had sightings of one in Black Hill Regional park, but being the peoples republik of marylandistan, carrying a firearm was not an option. But...Maryland law said a large fixed blade was okay as long as it was not concealed. So, stepping off pavement anywhere, and not being able to carry a gun, a nice large fixed blade can be an handy thing to have. Coming face to face with a mountain lion in a suburban surrounding is a life and attitude changing thing. That SAK in a pocket suddenly seems sooooo under whelming. In 2014 Karen and I were hiking in the Cleveland wilderness area in California not far from the daughters place in Mission Viejo. There at the trail head was a sign warning of rattle snakes and mountain lions. The old Camillus army issue MK2 came out of the day pack on onto my hip. Screw what the other hikers may think.

Stuff happens. You're either ready for it or you ain't. Or better to have it and not need it, than suddenly really really REALLY need it and not have it. It may be the last time you need it.

I've got news for you, but if you've got a knife on your hip when a mountain lion is stalking you, your chances of survival arent great. It Will have it's teeth in your neck before the sheath is unbuttoned.

And the rattlesnake? If you're aware of it, you're much better just walking around it than to go after it. ( with a knife or anything else, for that matter)

I've got news for you, but if you've got a knife on your hip when a mountain lion is stalking you, your chances of survival arent great. It Will have it's teeth in your neck before the sheath is unbuttoned.

And the rattlesnake? If you're aware of it, you're much better just walking around it than to go after it. ( with a knife or anything else, for that matter)

Well, I've got news for you too. The guy and wife and kid that were walking back from the restaurant to their room and Big Bend National park were lucky that when a mountain lion came out of nowhere and attacked the kid, the dad stabbed it with a Spyderco delica looking knife and drove it off. When Karen and I had our face to face stare down in Maryland, the cat darted out of a culvert and stared at use for a few seconds before we yelled and it ran off. The hiker in Vancouver that was attacked by a mountain lion, had it ran off when he stabbed it with the Buck knife from his snapped belt sheath. There seems to be a good number of accounts of mountain lions being killed or run off by the victim having a knife at hand, not buried in a pack. Do some research before you spew off.

As for rattle snakes, I was stating that the sign warned of both in the area. Not that I would mess with a rattle snake.

Edit to add; Here's another one for ya.
Attacking cougar killed with pocket knife
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published 10:00 pm PDT, Friday, August 2, 2002

VICTORIA, B.C. -- A 61-year-old man won a life-and-death struggle with a cougar outside a small northern Vancouver Island village, killing the animal with his 3-inch pocket knife.

Dave Parker was jumped from behind while walking on an industrial road about a mile south of Port Alice, a village of 1,300 about 230 miles north of Victoria.

RECOMMENDED VIDEO

00:14
01:21

The retired pulp.mill worker was attacked by a 100-pound adult male cat, conservation officer Ken Fujino said.

"It was thin but by no means starving," Fujino said from Port Hardy, the nearest sizable town.

"There was no indications as to any physical injuries that we could see that may have provoked the attack."

Parker was mauled, but managed to get to his folding pocket knife Thursday evening.

"A lot of people carry knives out here, or bear spray," said Port Alice Mayor Larry Pepper, a friend of Parker. "People are quite conscious of the fact there's cougars here."

Pepper said Parker managed to turn on the attacking cougar and slit its throat.

Despite extensive wounds, Parker managed to walk about a half-mile to a forest mill's log-sorting area. Late-shift workers rushed him to Port Alice's tiny hospital.

"Because of the seriousness of his injuries they took him by ambulance to Port Hardy and flew him down to the hospital (in Victoria)," said Fujino.

Parker underwent surgery Friday to repair his wounds and was expected to recover in the intensive-care unit. He was in critical but stable condition.

Pepper said Parker liked to hike and was in good physical condition.

Royal Canadian Mounted Police Constable Jeff Flindall said police found Parker's knife next to the carcass of the dead cougar.

"It is a pocket knife and it is approximately 3 inches long," Flindall said from Port Alice.

Fujino said there have been a spate of cougar sightings around Port Alice in recent weeks.

"Generally as a whole cougar attacks are fairly rare," he said.

However, the village was the scene of a serious cougar attack two years ago.

A Seattle tourist was cycling outside Port Alice when he was jumped by an injured cougar. A passing motorist saw the man struggling with the cat and waded in to chase it away. The animal was later tracked and killed by conservation officers.

Last edited:

There's quite a few stories of people defending themselves with knifes in the wilderness. Here's an excellent story of Gene Moe killed a 750lb Grizzly with a buck 110! https://shouldersofgiants.com/2016/07/24/ultimate-bear-story/ that doesn't mean you're not going to get mauled but I do believe you can save your life.

Here's another story https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/11/01/fraser-graham-kills-grizzly-bear-knife_n_4194910.html

Russian guy this time https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...an-beats-bear-in-siberian-forest-8872588.html

Guy who fought off mountain lion https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/mar/11/i-fought-off-mountain-lion-experience
Cougar killed with 3 inch pocket knife.https://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/Attacking-cougar-killed-with-pocket-knife-1092755.php
Now I'm not saying that there probably hasn't been plenty of people killed by animals that had firearms or knives. But a knife can save your life and increases your chances of survival.

I remember the story about the guy who saved his kid with a spyderco caly 3.5? from a mountain lion.

It's pointy, jab it into something soft and your chances of deterring a critter are better than singing my milk shake brings all the boys to the yard.

I use my knives everywhere. My home is surrounded my national forest land, and I work in a very dense urban city. I don’t let anything stop me. I always have some kind of task going on where I need a knife.

I'm in a suburb of a major Eastcoast city and share the OPs concerns. Lots of great woods and hiking trails, but fire bans all around and never seen anyone open carry a fixed blade around here.

I want to learn/practice bushcrafting as another hobby for a outdoor enthusiast, an emergency back-up for solo ultralight backpacking, and hopefully to get into some winter/snow camping.

So far, my best solution for local practice is to use a hard-use 'folding fixed blade' that has EDC utility and is comfortably concealable on person - a fixed blade in my bag loses half it's utility to me. For now, I also keeping a hand chainsaw in my bag, it's only about the size of a deck of cards and is faster than my Bahco Laplander.

No problem using the saw on local trails - it appears as trail clearing and maintenance. For knife-craft practice, I just bushwhack a bit off trail, preferably to a higher point, where you can't see what I'm doing - I already do this for hot lunch and tea breaks (alcohol stove). Feather stick, try stick, whittling, splitting wood, etc. practice - no problem when off trail. I'm also not worried about practicing starting firesteel/friction fires when off trail - that's the hardest part anyways - I just stomp them out once they've caught.

I need to try the Dakota fire pit out... I hear they are quite stealthy in terms smoke, and obviously light, but I'm not sure if you can lose the smell.

0CF33AD9-3780-4E3F-86DB-6A58C6A19441.jpeg
The same could be said about wilderness.
Some city people and their children think meat & vegetables come from the store too...
Clubs, bars, & cities- all places I avoid for reason. Depends on what you’re looking for in life I guess.
Being self sufficient, owning firearms, using my knives and exorcising my freedom is more important than frequenting government run museums, crowds of drunks, & those museums where the real history is not put on display anyway... nope not for me. Big knives, loud or quiet guns, clean air, & friendly people ;)
If I need to ask for permission to use, or to carry a knife, something is wrong...
Enjoy your city & enjoy the traffic.
;)

Last edited:
I leave the bars and clubs to the young bucks and does. This is my club...and my woods.

DSC_0586_zpsezhogsde.jpg

DSC_0608_zpslke80bgi.jpg

I've lived in both, and had a foot in each world growing up. Depending on what stage of life I was in and how old I was, preference changed as I went through the whole life thing. I loved both, but had a slight preference as a kid to the country. That changed in my teens and I went for the 'bright lights/big city thing. Then in my 20's I was a little ambivalent, but as I got older I actually preferred to live close to the city and just visit the country. I'd spend a weekend back packing or canoe camping, then back to civilization. I raised my kids in suburbia for the better schools and better college placement, and they did well.

Now even after moving to Texas in 2015, I'm still living the American suburban life in the small city of Georgetown, up the road from Austin. Georgetown is okay for burgers and BBQ, but for quality ethnic dining and museums, and live entertainment, the better half and I drive down to Austin for the day. Your view of life changes as you age. Sometimes more than you think. Fifteen or twenty years from now, you'll be at a totally different place.

Bat Masterson and Wyatt Earp hunted buffalo together on the frontier, but in his older years Bat moved to NYC and Wyatt went to L.A.

Last edited:
Where in live in the Southeast, state parks and national forest allow open fires most of the time except during drought conditions. That said, I wouldn't build a bonfire just like I like to keep the knives I carry reasonable in size or proportionate to the more likely tasks. You may be technically free, but you really aren't.

My knives go with me. I use them as needed. Doesn’t mean I won’t hack the hell out of a sapling or something spontaneously lol.

"Wherever the f#%€ I want" to paraphrase Bam Margera. I'm not worried about a thing anymore since nothing is illegal (basically) in Texas. :D:thumbsup:

Seriously, I use my knives out and about normally. Draw, cut, put it back.

At work I do the same thing, but I use my SAK. (Thanks Paul Hilborn, still using it!)

Back