Where does Supply/Demand equalize? Suvive Year+ leadtimes

I like the pre-order system.
The way that survive knives is operating is ideal I think for a smaller size company.

What a well-written and intelligent response, Ellie. About the time of the starters, I posted somewhere to the effect that "I was glad to take a chance with these fine people." That may not be word-for-word, but that still sums up the way I feel. Thanks for the progress report, and Merry Christmas sister.

Thanks for the early update! I was wondering if this series of posts was going to set your ears on fire. :)
I am glad to hear that you folks are going to break your work load down into manageably sized chunks.
Running on fear and adrenaline only lasts so long. Hang in there! Keep up the excellent work!

Good stuff! I like your new plan and I hope it'll work out well for everyone.
I think I'll still send some hate mail though just to be a pain in the ass.

I've never even seen a Survive! knife in person and learned about the company only a few months ago here on BladeForums, yet I presently have four knives on pre-order, including two 4.1s meant as Christmas presents for my sons (better late than never!) and I expect to order at least two more in the near future.

Why, if I've never even seen one, much less enjoyed the opportunity to handle one and put it to use?

Partly because reports here and elsewhere have given me complete faith in the quality and value of Guy's knives.

More compelling, however, is the story behind Survive! -- including a contemporary business model consistent with Guy's commitment to high standards of craftsmanship and his personal integrity. I respect and admire this gutsy young entrepreneur, and I applaud his character as revealed in this forum and other venues. I also applaud Ellie for the kindness and conscientiousness she consistently displays here, evident in her response earlier in this thread.

So by purchasing a few of their products, I not only acquire some first-rate tools, but also get to support a young craftsman who embodies classic American virtues that get short shrift in our mainstream society today.

For what it's worth, here's one customer who hopes that Guy and Ellie take some time off for Christmas to celebrate their blessings and give thanks. My knives can wait.

Dave

dragfree, what an excellent first post! I demand that you stick around and share a bunch of thoughts and pics when you get your GSO's............ or else!

Good stuff! I like your new plan and I hope it'll work out well for everyone.
I think I'll still send some hate mail though just to be a pain in the ass.
Wow, you are the worst ;)

...including a contemporary business model consistent with Guy's commitment to high standards of craftsmanship and his personal integrity. I respect and admire this gutsy young entrepreneur, and I applaud his character as revealed in this forum and other venues. I also applaud Ellie for the kindness and conscientiousness she consistently displays here, evident in her response earlier in this thread.

So by purchasing a few of their products, I not only acquire some first-rate tools, but also get to support a young craftsman who embodies classic American virtues that get short shrift in our mainstream society today.

For what it's worth, here's one customer who hopes that Guy and Ellie take some time off for Christmas to celebrate their blessings and give thanks. My knives can wait.

Dave

VERY WELL PUT!!!

I respect that some of the other posters in this thread feel differently and explained their concerns in a polite manner. I also don't want to sound like too much of a fan-boy. However, I want to make it very clear that I have a lot of admiration for what S!K is doing and the way that they are going about it. Guy and Ellie, please don't let the less than positive feedback get you down. Stay the course and believe in yourselves. You are doing great and many, many people truly appreciate your work.

edit to add - Welcome to the forum, dragfree. That was a strong first post.

I've never even seen a Survive! knife in person and learned about the company only a few months ago here on BladeForums, yet I presently have four knives on pre-order, including two 4.1s meant as Christmas presents for my sons (better late than never!) and I expect to order at least two more in the near future.

Why, if I've never even seen one, much less enjoyed the opportunity to handle one and put it to use?

Partly because reports here and elsewhere have given me complete faith in the quality and value of Guy's knives.

More compelling, however, is the story behind Survive! -- including a contemporary business model consistent with Guy's commitment to high standards of craftsmanship and his personal integrity. I respect and admire this gutsy young entrepreneur, and I applaud his character as revealed in this forum and other venues. I also applaud Ellie for the kindness and conscientiousness she consistently displays here, evident in her response earlier in this thread.

Dave

welcome to the forums dragfree, very well written and I couldn't agree more.

Guy and Ellie, please don't let the less than positive feedback get you down. Stay the course and believe in yourselves. You are doing great and many, many people truly appreciate your work.

With my response I wanted to address some questions/concerns, from the horses mouth so to speak. But the overall message is basically that. In 2015 we updated the knives and our production methods to make a better product, more efficiently. With 2016, we are going to work on accepting what we cannot change. The problems of the past are behind us and the solutions are in place now. We are planning to start having fun again.

With my response I wanted to address some questions/concerns, from the horses mouth so to speak. But the overall message is basically that. In 2015 we updated the knives and our production methods to make a better product, more efficiently. With 2016, we are going to work on accepting what we cannot change. The problems of the past are behind us and the solutions are in place now. We are planning to start having fun again.

Good! You two are doing many things extremely well and absolutely should feel good about your business and have fun!

Speaking as an outsider (do not own a Survive! knive), I balked at the TBD wait time with a preorder...even though I had been awaiting the production announcement for some time. To be clear, I have purchased knives with wait periods - it's not a big deal when the maker doesn't require payment in advance; but it becomes a different animal when one has to pay up front. In one example from my personal experiences, I paid a 50% (nonrefundable) deposit - to the tune of about $375 - for a knife with a projected wait time of 1 yr. In two weeks, it will be 3 yrs. I have totally lost interest in the knife, and would never consider purchasing from this maker again.
Even with acknowledging/accepting that some of Survive's previous problems are in the past, I think my reluctance is understandable. It isn't that I would worry about losing my money, or never getting the knife, with Survive!; I'm just not willing to finance a production run with so many question marks involved. Maybe if I was a dedicated fan, I would view it differently...but I've never even seen a Survive! knife in person.

Oh man, let me refill the tea and settle in for this one. I feel like I could quote every post here and reply with at least a paragraph each. I will try to keep it shorter than that.

Ellie out.

Wow, first of all thank you for taking time to write about your plans! I think it sounds like a good plan, but I can't help to come with one idea and a bit of feedback. :)

First, about sharpening. You might have thought about it already, but wouldn't it be possible to have a sharpener-apprentice for part of the SK line? Guy is awesome, and I doubt he'll ever find anyone good enough, but this way he could train someone and keep the cost down for the SK line, and also communicate it with the customers.

Second, release on Mondays is very similar to the fiddleback Friday's, and thank you so much thinking of us international customers!! But it still scares me a bit, I'd hate to see a scalping situation where everyone have to pay a hefty premium on the exchange instead. Would it be possible to limit it to one knife per model per person per month or so? I guess that's even more admin for you, but I'm just voicing my concern.

What I like about the preorders is that I'm guaranteed to get the knife, even if it takes time. So I'll be sure to preorder all the rest of the knives too... ;)

Thanks again Ellie!

DragFree!! Awesome first post! Stick around!

You will love em when you get em!

Ellie, great post and that makes sense. Thanks for keeping us all up to date. Your consistent (and patient) responses are very much appreciated!

Thanks Ellie, I'm glad y'all are going to take some time off. You guys deserve it. Y'all are doing fantastic and what ever helps you guys is what is best for S! if you don't enjoy what you're doing your gonna be forced to work everyday.

And I'll be sending hat mail too!!

Back