KOSHER SALT
BALSAMIC VINEGAR
GARLIC
BASIL
OREGANO
WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE
EV OLIVE OIL
OK send in the receipes.

IG, I had a nightmare last night you and the NECKA posse held me down and force-fed me some of that stuff!

wow, y'all weren't kidding about that stuff. Looking at recipe, glad I'm in another state, much less another room from that relish. never gonna visit New England, might get roped into a gathering where I'd eat that by accident. Or on puprose, knowing some of you guys. :)

George, that recipe makes me shudder thinking about it. Yeah, I'm a wuss about hot food. :D

etp777.... that quote in yer sig line is from Heinlein isn't it? I'd hate to tell you when I last read it... can you help an old fart remember the title? thx.

George, I think you drink napalm for sippin' stuff! Actually, the relish sounds really good, but too hot for me! You don't get that relish near an open flame, do you?

Catfish Gumbo
-------------
¼ cup olive oil or vegatable oil
1 cup celery, chopped
1 cup green pepper, chopped
1 cup onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
4 cups beef broth (I use bullion cubes to make the broth)
1 16 oz. can tomato sauce
10 oz. frozen sliced okra
½ teaspoon thyme
1 bay leaf
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon oregano
4 catfish filets, cut into 1-inch squares
1 cup rice

Heat oil in large stock pot. Saute celery, pepper, onion and garlic.
Add all other ingredients except catfish and rice.
Cover and simmer 30 minutes.
Add catfish and simmer 15 minutes or until done.
Cook rice in separate pot.
Add cooked rice or serve over cooked rice.

We usually include small shrimp in recipe.
------------------------------------------

The fish can be substitued with other things such as turkey or whatever, except maybe that relish.

RL

Cool Gumbo receipe.
It is just a little mild.
I would add alot more garlic and of course my relish.:D :D :D
That would go good with little necks (quahogs), mussels, shrimp, and fresh cod fish and squid. I am getting hungry.:eek: :eek:

I bought this habenero sauce down in TN once. It was delicious! I only added a drop or two here or there because it was so fiery.

Yes, the recipe does need more heat and the red pepper amount is not my recomendation but that of the recipe as I received it. Tweek as desired. Great for using up left-overs too. Just about whatever can go into Gumbo.

RL

My grandson I told him that if he could hold a piece of the Habanero pepper on his tongue for 5 seconds without crying I would give him $5.00 so he did it and didn't cry. After that he went and P'd. He comes walk out of the bathroom and all of a sudden he started doing a little dance and crying. HEHEHEHE!! His mother had to put his little PP under the cold water. My son and I almost died laughing, but his mother was some pi$$ed at me. He came out and gave me the $5.00 back, I told him that the bet was for on his tongue not the PP.:eek: :eek: :D :D

That last story is why novices should be started out on "training peppers" like cayenne or serranos.:) He'll remember, anyway.

Watch out seeding those Habaneros too. Last year I harvested a good crop and seeded a few dozen to make a sauce to put up. My hands felt a little warm and I broke a sweat just like eating them--never had any problem before without gloves, but never did that many at once. Well, I went to the sink, got a lot of soap lathered up, and like an idiot, scrubbed up part of my fore-arms. Spread that stuff, carried by the soap, up all over that thin skin under the wrists, and now my arms feel really warm. So much soaked in I almost got dizzy--My forehead sweated for about an hour. Lots of hot peppers does cause a rush, like some say.

I know, I'm a wuss, especially for taking out the seed membranes where all the hottest stuff is.

But just making a recipe like that can get you--don't even have to eat any.:) :eek:

Jeesh, George, yer just terrible... :D Damned bikers.;)

Some day two things are going to happen simultaneously: yer gonna be bent over and he's gonna come around the corner with a habanera in his hand....... ah, well, maybe he'll give the 5 back then. :D

Mike, when this kid is fully grow he will be bigger than you.:eek: :eek: His Bio father was 6'6" 280#
This stuff is good for arthritis,as long as it is not close to any vitual orifices.:eek: :eek:

matter of fact, if he gets a foto, tell him there's at least a half a C-note in it for him if he gets a panoramic view of the PAIN :D :D :D

you better be careful if he's gonna be that big (hopefully, unlike me, all muscle) ... kids don't forget these things. :)

IG,

I'll be over on Saturday around 10:30 AM to pick up a jar of IG's "Heat Treat Relish". It'll go into the storage compartment of my transportation right away.:)

Got some steel too. :D :D :cool:

Originally posted by T Blade
IG,

I'll be over on Saturday around 10:30 AM to pick up a jar of IG's "Heat Treat Relish". It'll go into the storage compartment of my transportation right away.:)

Have you got placards and a permit to haul hazardous materials?

Jeez, that sounds like some hot stuff!

Steve

Ro-jay, mais howse you spose to make da roux dat way? Let me splain sumptin to you.

Everybody knows that a gumbo starts with the roux. You get 3/4 cup flour and 3/4 cup oil. Place it in a skillet and put it on a medium low heat and stir. And stir. And stir. You stir until it is the color of the Vermillion River after a nutria rat die off (or the color of an old penny). Don't go ANYWHERE past that or it will be BURNT!!! Once you get it that color pour it in the big gumbo pot, quickly. You can add a bit of water then and your vegetables if you want. I use two large chopped onions, one thing of celery and two bell peppers (and sometimes some okra but that's optional).

Boil one whole chicken prior to making the roux. Once it is boiled, de-bone it and save the broth. (If you put the broth in the freezer the fat floats to the top and you can just scrape it off.) Pour it in the pot later when you add the chicken and stuff. Oh, make sure you cut that chicken meat up unless you want stringy chicken.

Add seasoning to taste, I like cayenne pepper, garlic, salt, and Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning (IG if you don't have that in Mass let me know and I will send you some).

You don't have to do this but I boil two links of smoked sausage before slicing and adding to the gumbo, it cuts down on the grease.

Anyway, I add quite a bit of water to the concoction and a couple of chicken boullion cubes as well. Everything goes in the pot and let it simmer for a couple of hours. We have gumbo file' down here, it is ground sassafras leaves and I add it to my bowl. We eat gumbo over rice and I like to crumble up crackers in it.

To make a quick, easy and oil free roux Tony Chachere also has a roux and gravy mix.

So here's the run down...

1 chicken
1 thing of celery (the whole bunch)
2 large onions
2 bell peppers
2 links of smoked sausage
2 or 3 cans of crabmeat (frugal cajun secret - you can add tunafish in spring water and no one will know the difference. Drain it of course)

add shrimp or crawfish tails as well.

IG...I'll tell you what. The next time I am visiting my brother up in Arlington, Mass, we will get together and I will make you some gumbo.

Craig

Edited to add:

By the way, if you want to see some hot sauces, check this out!

Hottest Sauces in the World

Back