Where oh where? Anbody Know?

Horsewright

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
So recently was at a big branding. Most of the guys were wearing what are known as Arizona Step Ins or Arizona Bells type leggings, (same deal, just different name). They are made of out of boarhide.

iThZtfX.jpg

N2Pz7Gw.jpg

eKi6FC0.jpg

This leather is 7/8 oz chrome tanned. I had a couple of requests to build these while there. They were absolutely insistent upon this leather because it "breathes". So anyhoo I've spent hours looking on line and can't find it. Sheridan use to sell it but they are now out of buisness. Any ideas where I can find some? Thanks!

Last edited:
Yep I tried the website. No go. However, will start calling he was one of the first I was gonna call. Thanks. Hoping someone had seen it in their travels. Its there somewhere cause I've found several makers of this type of legging offering leggings for sale.

Dave, there's not a doubt in my mind that these boys are expert at what they do, but are they also expert at what you do? It seems that oil tanned,(the right weight) would work as well, or maybe even better.????

Paul

Can I ask an ignorant question .
What is the reason for wearing them in a Yard ( Corral ) ?
Totally understand their usefulness in a mounted open country situation , but during mounted Yard work and then dismounted ground work I would have thought they would hinder movement and efficiency .
Just thought I'd ask because although Australia has a long history of Horseback stockwork these items are never seen here in a Stockcamp .

Ken

Ken, no doubt Dave will be back in to answer you also, but My take from Texas is that when working cattle (calves for branding, medicating and castration) there's a lot of contact from flailing legs of less than cooperative bovine babies and the cuts, bruises and stains on the leggings will attest to that fact. The relatively thick extra layer of protection the leggings provide can soften the blow if a swift kick with a sharp hoof, or protect from a misplaced stroke of a hot iron, or an unintended slash of a sharp little knife. Also you will note the easily accessible large pockets which keep other important things close at hand, (medicated spray, etc.) You can get the whole job done in just a minute or two while on your knees wrestling the calf. All of that coupled with the fact that you are on and off your horse many multiple times during the day or more long process. Putting them on and taking them off would be a real pain in the ass.

Working adult cattle rarely includes the branding and castration so quite often squeeze chutes are used for medication and palpation and the leggings are far less important.

Paul

Last edited:
Paul I would agree with you. If I were making chaps for myself I have often used a heavy oil tan. Particularly on shotguns. Bout all I've ever used and it works great. However, while doing all my research looking for this hide, while I couldn't find the hide for sale I did find built chaps for sale out of boarhide. They always brought a premium, seemed like about $100 more on average for the same chap in boarhide vs cowhide. Something to think on. The ranch these guys work on stretches from the valley of the San Joaquin up into the foothills of the Sierra, the Tehachapi's and the Tejon mountains. They can get some nasty hot summertime temps. The kind that makes Dave stay home in his mountains. They say these things in boarhide stays cooler. I'm not putting it to the test. Too hot down there for this old guy.

I did find the boarhide. Maverick carries it. I knew it was out there as I kept finding all these makers using it just couldn't find it for sale.

Ken, Paul hit it right on absolutely every point with protection being the biggest one. Also its just dirty, muddy, bloody, digested grass guacamole etc. And a lot going on all at once. There were 5 groups of ropers (4 or 5 in each group assigned by the boss). Each group did three drafts of 20 calves each and then ya swapped ropers and rotated into the ground crew. Started roping around 8:30 and done by lunch. Sometimes we had four calves at the fire at once.

9eU3Cmj.jpg

From left to right: the young lady is gonna administer a dose of Ensure up the nostril, Brandon (the boss), is restraining the front of the calf by keeping his knee on the neck and pulling back on the left front leg, a young lady behind Brandon (ya can just make out her black ball cap) is ear tagging the calf, Mrs Carter is putting on the iron and the guy in the smoke is castrating the calf. The rear heels are held by a roper horseback. Plus there are three injections either already given or coming and this calf is done. Next.

So from this, my son coming out with the first calf of the day, he's riding Down Town Mr Brown, (he always gives interesting names to his dogs and horses).

q4PDflI.jpg

To this:

HNLRHB7.jpg

To this:

CKCXGpx.jpg

And this Nichole giving some shots to a little one:

NNSc1zX.jpg

And then another one coming in. 1 to 2 minutes per calf. Pretty busy.

yQF8aHw.jpg

Not everyone wears their leggings while doing groundwork and their jeans are usually the worst for it. My son doesn't:

7QFu6mz.jpg

Or:

FeKFJBY.jpg

what a cool post/pics. this is a world i don't know, and i love seeing the pics and reading the commentary. thanks.

Thanks TVPT!

Ya might also enjoy this one. Same branding but from the traditional knife point of view and a lot more detail.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1470750-Helping-the-Neighbors-Traditionals-in-Use

And branding on our ranch last spring:

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/s...Gather-and-Processing-at-El-Rancho-Dos-Markus

Couple pics from about 10 days ago. We were able to fit in our branding inbetween storms. We'd had to reschedule already a couple of times. Literally started raining as we finished the last calf:

Buysd86.jpg

jeWyox2.jpg

fpZZ6Uk.jpg

excellent! i'll check out those other links tonight. thanks. keep em coming! ;) :thumbup:

Do you have plans to expand your herd back to previous numbers Dave? I'm sitting here wondering what you're going to do with all that extra grass since you've been getting all the rain! The irony is we're a lot drier here in Kansas than we normally are. We had a spring like storm here last night but might have gotten 1/10th of an inch of rain.

Chris

Yes sir Chris we are. We've been keeping back as many heifers as we can. This year we're having calves from the first batch of heifers we kept back 2 years ago. last year we wern't able to keep back as many as we would of liked, this year we can keep some back too. Some restrictions though as ya have to watch the line breeding. As funny as it sounds its ok to breed our EXCEPTIONAL bull back to his daughters, but not his grandaughters. Not only not weird but its good. It really intensifies the good traits in our herd. But ya breed him to his grandaughters and thats when ya can start having problems like three ears etc. This bull replaced 3 other bulls. He's too good to get rid of so we'll sell any heifers by his daughters. Nice small calves that grow fast and everyone of em could be on the cover of Angus Monthly. We've not had any calving problems at all not even on first time heifers. Place my son worked last spring they were pulling 1out of 3. So we'll keep this bull as long as we can. Far as the rain we've had crazy amounts and the grass is growing well. We've got lakes that havn't had water in them for 8 years.

We've had 42.78" of rain since Oct 1st which is the start of the rainfall year. Since Jan 1 we've had 26.6" of rain. This is crazy considering that prior to last year we had 5 years in a row where we had an average of 4" for the entire water year, (Oct 1- Sept 30). Last year we had 24 " for the rain year so it was a good year.

Course you know the way of the world. We sold off 70 percent of our herd during the drought. When we had grass last year a bred cow was selling for 3 times what we got for em when we sold. So you keep back your heifers as you obviously can't buy back cows at that rate.

This creek hasn't run in 8 years:

Zz9IIbN.jpg

Part of Laguna de Anos Ochoa, (Eight Year Lake) is what we named it:

IDAjo0n.jpg

Heck we got ducks!

Great news Dave! A good friend of mine is in a similar rebuild situation (sold off most of his herd during a divorce a few years back). He also didn't want to get rid of his bull the last couple years, so to be able to keep the granddaughters he got another young bull and started a fall calving herd.

Chris

Good deal He's fortunate he can do that, we don't have anyplace to keep em separate so wouldn't work for us. Here's a pic of Scotty, his registered name is Scotsman so and so, can't ever remember, so we call him Scotty:

4svSZRU.jpg

He'll be one big side of leather some day. Right now he's just 5 so he's hanging around our outfit for a while.

Some of his calves:

sgvXaQI.jpg

So recently was at a big branding. Most of the guys were wearing what are known as Arizona Step Ins or Arizona Bells type leggings, (same deal, just different name). They are made of out of boarhide.

iThZtfX.jpg

N2Pz7Gw.jpg

eKi6FC0.jpg

This leather is 7/8 oz chrome tanned. I had a couple of requests to build these while there. They were absolutely insistent upon this leather because it "breathes". So anyhoo I've spent hours looking on line and can't find it. Sheridan use to sell it but they are now out of buisness. Any ideas where I can find some? Thanks!
I stopped in at the local hide and fur dealer today and asked about chrome tanned boarhide and he said it would have to be imported as chrome tanning is banned in the USA
iThZtfX.jpg

N2Pz7Gw.jpg

eKi6FC0.jpg

iThZtfX.jpg

N2Pz7Gw.jpg

eKi6FC0.jpg

iThZtfX.jpg

N2Pz7Gw.jpg

eKi6FC0.jpg

I stopped in at the local hide and fur dealer and asked he said chrome tanning is banned in the USA and it would have to be imported.

I do believe that most chrome tanned leather does indeed come from Mexico.

Realized I never did post any picks of the chaps I made once I found this leather.

sfFiK4O.jpg

pIdNhfk.jpg

ZhKEX48.jpg

Ywug7TQ.jpg

Last edited:
Back