Where to find a manual Gunhammer?

I am new to HTM/DDR and have been researching them. I see that you can get manual flippers from DDR or the custom shop but I haven't seen any regular production unassisted flippers out there.

Do they exist?

Manual HTM Gunhammers -- production, not HTM custom shop -- do exist, although they're relatively hard to find in comparison to the assisted versions. In fact, now that I think about it, I haven't seen manual HTM Gunhammers in stock at any HTM dealers (KnifeCenter, TNK, etc.) -- I assume because the assisted ones sell better. However, if you order directly from HTM, you can definitely get one; one of the options on the regular order page for the HTM Gunhammers is assisted vs. unassisted.

On DDR knives -- Darrel's full customs (HTM is the mid-tech/semi-production line) -- you can get whatever options you want, including a Maxx Glide bearing pivot instead of assisted opening.

So the full customs are the only ones available with the bearing system?
For now, yes, the full custom Gunhammers are the only ones with the bearing pivot. Eventually, though, I think the goal is to have a Maxx Glide pivot on the manual HTM Gunhammers as well.

The newest addition to the HTM lineup, the Greg Lightfoot-designed Bullwhip (based on his custom of the same name), is a manual flipper and the first HTM folder to feature Maxx Glide.

It's probably also worth pointing out that the assisted gunnies are very easy to convert to manual. Just need to remove the spring. It will flip very nicely without wrist english.

It's probably also worth pointing out that the assisted gunnies are very easy to convert to manual. Just need to remove the spring. It will flip very nicely without wrist english.

The assisted knives come with detents? I know a lot of AO knives rely on the torsion bar to hold it closed. Are there typically any blade centering issues once they are deassisted? I have seen this pop up on other knives.

Thanks

The way the mechanism seems to work is there's an actual helical spring that attaches to the blade, and runs up the right handle if you have the edge facing you. Remove that, and it's good to go. I haven't noticed any centering issues, but it relies on a different style of AO than most knives. Speedsafe, for instance, uses a torsion bar that presses on one side, and so there's a little more lateral pressure than there seems to be on the GH. It's a pretty cool mechanism, and ends up with a lot more kick than the torsion bar designs.

I ordered a manual opening Gun Hammer and got an assisted by mistake. I am so happy it happened! DDR's AO is sooo much better than any other I have tried. It's both smooth and quick, the closest to it are the ZT knives but DDR's is better. In general I prefer manuals but I love my Gun Hammer AO!

Back