Where to find used anvils?

I have been looking around trying to find used anvils on the web with no luck. Are flea markets a good place to look? I have a few by me and maybe they are worth looking at. What about a railroad track? Where would I go to find a section of a railroad to use? Thanks

I go to farm auctions, which I`m going to one this saturday and there is a 150lb`er, If you want I`ll keep an eye out for one for you.If I buy the one on sat my 100lb peter write will be for sale!

I've been trying to get one from my neighbor for over a year now. He claims it has sentimental value, yet it is sitting in the weather as we speak.
frown.gif
I am tempted to go over and ask if I can help move it to his garage, as he has plenty of space for it.

I used a piece of railroad track for several years before I ran across a 100lb 60year old anvil in like new condition for 120 bucks. It was advertised in the local paper.

Arthur D. Washburn
ADW Custom Knives
www.adwcustomknives.com

You can try e-bay, the only thing is you are buying a used anvil without inspecting it first but you can get lucky.

I got a 169lb Peter Wright anvil for $200.00. He did not know what he was selling and I did not know what I was buying. Got it freight shipped to Maui, HI for $75.00. The guys at the freight company were looking at me like I was an idiot when I picked it up. Jumping all over the parking lot going "No s***, a Peter Wright!". Wife thought I was crazy too but....

Check e-bay but I would think that the area you live (Texas) there should be plenty on anvils at various locations just take your time and look. Indian George said it took him 1 1/2 years to find his, took me a year to find mine, but it was worth it (and I'll bet Indian George feels the same way
biggrin.gif
)

------------------
"There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."

Charles,
About the only thing I can say is "good luck". In our area, they are few and far between. One reason? The farrier business is alive and well in this part of Texas.
Your best bet is to find some junk place in East Texas somewhere. I have gone through some of them and came up with snake eyes. What I have found are usually worn out anvils that have had a piece of plate welded on the face sometime in the past.
I have just about resolved to biting the bullet and looking real hard at the Manvel anvils.

YEA i live in northern ca,anvils are like gold here,there is this second hand shop off of I-5,THE LADY THERE WANTED 1200,OR MORE FOR HER ANVILS.WAY TOO MUCH FOR THIS OLE BOY.GUESS I"LL BUILD A WAYNE GODDARD ONE. ROYBOY

I had a "wanted" post on www.keenjunk.com and got several hits from dealers and Blacksmiths upgrading, none cheap. Many "eBay" listings say "rings and hammer bounces well" or similar. Steel rings and hard hammers bounce on soft anvils, solid cast Iron doesn't ring (keep looking). Try dropping a 3/4" ball bearing on the top from 18" up, the higher the bounce the better.

Thanks all. Cutline blades, I hope you go get that anvil. How much do you think you will sell the one you have now for? But my other question wasnt answered, where is a good place to get a piece of railroad track? Also a railroad spike. Thanks again for the help.

Hey, Charles,

Whereabouts is Dickinson? If it's anywhere near Northeast Texas, I'm told you can pick up pretty good used anvils over in Canton. NTBA site shows them usually going for around $2-3/pound.

Heck, if you're close, maybe we should get together and look, since I'm closing on five acres in Corsicana next Wednesday. Gonna put up a forge and get to beatin' steel as soon as I can manage it!! Been goin' over my list of needs, and it looks like--hands down--the anvil is gonna be the most expensive item in the shop (to start, at least)...

Good Luck, and lemme know if you find one, and where...

biggrin.gif

------------------
Kalindras,
Washroom Attendant to the Nazgul
and
Holder of the Iron Key to the Men's Room of Mordor...

Dang. Just found ya on a map...yer down a ways, ain't'cha?

Oh, well...Good Luck anyways!

------------------
Kalindras,
and

Yeah I'm way down here. If you are ever down here, drop me a line, I'll be happy to exchange tecniques and stuff with you. That goes for anyone else by me too, I'm looking for someone to make some damascus with me. Anyone, Anyone?

Brothers & Sisters of Steel,
Charles Dean,

Some research will re-pay you well!

Look for auction companies in predominently rural areas. Contact several of them and ask that you be notified when any farm auctions will take place. Specifically state what you are looking for.

Prior to any sale a prep-team will go through a property and select auspicious , as well as common, items to place into their advertisements.

Hence, if they KNOW what you're looking for then THEY will be looking for it as well!

Additionally, the search for "anvil" resulted in some of these:

http://www.anvilmag.com/
http://www.forgeandanvil.com/
http://www.anvils.nimbaforge.com/
http://www.northvillehorseshoe.com/

Tradesmen in the industry may be able to point you in the right direction as well.

Regards,
Lance Gothic
Shibumi

Hey Guys
I looked for over a year here in TX and alot of folks want to price old anvils as rare collectables. I finally bit the bullet and bought a new steel Peddinghaus from Centaur Forge and have been happy since although my wallet still has trauma scars. I look from time to time at Canton (you can't have too many Anvils) but mostly what I have found are the Buffalo cast iron Anvils (trot-line weight). I have seen a couple Peter Wrights and one Hay-Budden but they were very high in price. If I run into anything I will drop a line.
Scott

[This message has been edited by Scott Wiley (edited 04-07-2001).]

Cutline--

I didn't see any email...could you please send it again?

Thanks!

Scott--

Hey, I see you're down Corsi way!! Once we get this land settled and the shop up, feel free to stop by! Are there any good junkyards/salvage places down there?

------------------
Kalindras,
and

Kalindras
Thanks for the invitation.
As far as salvage yards and cool stuff go its pretty much a dead end around this area. I travel all over Navarro Co. five days a week and unless someones into junk cars thats about it. I hear the stories of hundred year old anvils found in old barns but have yet to see one.
Scott

I also didnt get the email. Well I'm lucky enough to have a lot of flea markets around, so next weekend I'll probably go down and find something. Maybe I'll find some taongs too? Thanks for the help.

K guys how bout this...between now and the end of june there is to be around 15 anvils going in auctions ranging from 75lbs to 180lbs....I`m off to look at and probably buy a 172lb`er tomorrow, thus my 102lb peter write and what ever other anvils I buy will be for sale at about $3.50 a pound canadian which is around the $2.25 a pound USD and you pay shipping. So if any one is interested E-mail me and I will try to get some good ones for y`all!

[This message has been edited by cutline blades (edited 04-07-2001).]

Back