Where to get chunk of steel to make 1st razor? (And size ideas?)

I make chef's knives professionally, but am interested in trying out making a straight razor just for fun. Best understanding after a little research is that O1 is the solid default, maybe 1095, 1080+, 52100 as alternatives. And that something like 1/4" is about right, and I suspect easier and cheaper to source than other thicknesses a little thicker. Oh, and I'm not sure what length to plan on.

Any recommendations as to where to find such a chunk, what size to get, and thoughts on steel? I really don't want to order a few feet of something pricy. Amazon/SmallParts will ship me 18" of 1" wide 1/4" O1 for $38 inc. shipping, which seems like about as good as I'm likely to get....? Would love to hear what a "typical" billet might be for starting out.

(Yep, I know, all of this "depends" - just looking for a generic starting point that's reasonably smart for a totally beginner side project. Like: if you were to sell a "starter kit" with scale wood and a pin and whatnot, for beginning razor-makers - what chunk of steel would you put in it?)

Thanks!
AndrewC

use the 01 try aldo Bruno the nj steel baron I get my knife steel from him

Back