Where to I pay for my sins Dan - I modified one of your knives.

Diomedes Industries

Gold Member
Basic Member
In a moment of bravery (that soon melted as it got tough) I decided to take a dremel to my Koster and modify the scales. :eek:

What the hell was I thinking?

Well - I wanted the handles to allow a little more versitility. It was VERY comfortable in a standard power grip, even a reverse power grip, but I could not choke up on the knife very easily, I could not get my thumb on the blade very comfortably, and thus it was tough to peel, chest lever and other things.

Here is the original handle:

KosterFirstRun007-1.jpg

KosterFirstRun009-1-1.jpg

It looked great - and I am sure for most people it was awesome. I liked it too - but I just wanted to tweak it a bit.

Once I shaped it the way I wanted it basically, I hand sanded the rest. Once that was done - I had to clean up and even out the finish on the blade.

I then forced a patina with mustard and resharpened it on my new Japanese Water stones.

Kosterin01001.jpg

Kosterin01002.jpg

I managed to get the bevels even and mirrored. It took some work - but I think I am happy with how it all turned out. The only thing I am not pleased with is that I lost your logo from the knife. Would you be willing to put it back on for me Dan - or now that it is modified - do you want it left off?I The patina is not very deep - but it will patina more as I use it - which I plan to - a lot.

TF

The patina looks great! Did you apply the mustard in bands to get that effect? I take it is an 0-1 blade?

Frenches in bands - wipe off - overlap - reapply until happy.

I was speaking more of the scales!

TF

awesome - thanks for posting the pics and write-up.

I don't mind putting the logo back on for the blade mods...but the handle mods kinda toss it for me. Thanks for the feedback on the pinch grip.

:thumbup:

Dan

Back