Where to learn Kali in the Philippines ???

Would like to learn/train in kali in the philippines from june - august of 2008.

Having a hard time finding info. about how to do this.

I discovered a place I may be able to do this at Poro Point in La Union. Awaiting more info on that.

If anyone else knows of where I can do this please point me in the right direction. I am in the USA. I want to learn this in the Philippines. Please help. Thank you.

Although I haven't been to the Philippines in years, when I go back I'm definitely going to do this:
http://www.cebueskrima.s5.com/eskrimatour.html
Even if you don't decide to go on the tour, I would suggest contacting them - I have had only had some peripheral contact with this group, but their knowledge of the history of eskrima is astounding.

James

Awesome. Please if you know more keep them coming. One thing I forgot to ask. What price is fair to train on a monthly basis. I want to do this for 2 months or so. I can arrange hotel food and all that.

So what do u think is a fair price just for the training aspect on a monthly basis.

How many pesos?

If anyone out there knows someone in Bacolod who can train me that would be great. Or Visayas in general. Rather be in Visayas then Luzon. Thank you all greatly.

Would like to learn/train in kali in the philippines from june - august of 2008.

Having a hard time finding info. about how to do this.

I discovered a place I may be able to do this at Poro Point in La Union. Awaiting more info on that.

If anyone else knows of where I can do this please point me in the right direction. I am in the USA. I want to learn this in the Philippines. Please help. Thank you.

If you will be in La Union you are already knee deep in the Amandakwa Fighting Arts and fighters of the region. However finding someone to teach you or finding a commercial school venue will most likely prove fruitless as the practioners there are highly secretive and will not divuldge information or even admit knowledge without a proper introduction or recommendation. It may however have changed since my last visit there some years ago. I would recommend contacting : http://www.tipunan.com/ as there was to be a gathering of Masters there at the very location (Poro Point) you speak of. Your contact would be Jay DeLeon. I would also suggest trying to locate Nes Fernandez once you are in the Philippines, an authority on the fighting arts in nearby Pangasinan. Great fellow to know and train with and tell him Matador sent ya! There are however commercial schools in nearby Baguio and the not so far away province of Laguna. With regard to financial compensation, have some blue seal american cigarettes handy and a jug of good old american firewater for your introduction. Most of the old timers will not accept financial compensation personally, but it is best to leave a goodly amount of american eagles to the lady of the house or his representives as this is the acceptable way. A nice token gift like a nice cigarette lighter upon completion of training to your mentor always makes for good will too. Good luck in your search!

Matador-

Actually, it was Jay DeLeon who I emailed this past week. I found something online about how he could arrange for personalized training so I emailed him. I told him about me a little and my previous experience being in the Philippines. Asked him about training at Poro Point and working for Gawad Kalinga in the area. Then after sending the email I realized he is the CEO of an orginization and is personally involved in more things than I thought was possible haha. He must be very busy.

I was hoping to hear back from him. Only been a few days so we will see.

My interest is that I wish to train daily or as much as someone will allow me for 2 - 3 months. June - August of this year. I have a deep respect for the history of all the different styles and the secretive culture of it. I want to do this as I see it as something I wish to pursue my entire life. This is, that thing that I have always been looking for yet was missing. That's as best as I can explain it.

Having said that. I'm hoping somehow someone out there would be willing to take in a beginner and let them train seriously for 2-3 months. I would also like to be someone who can represent this sport when I come home. I would like to train for months at a time in the future when that is possible.

But, I am not from the Philippines. Quite honestly I feel like an outsider asking permission to be let into a closed community. I would like to train in Poro Point if Mr. DeLeon gets back with me. If not I would be willing to travel anywhere in the Visayas. Bacolod, Camiguin, Cebu, wherever. Anywhere, except Jolo and Basilan is fine by me.

I realize alot of this is done by personal introductions, recommendations, filipino connections, where you're from, who you know type of situations. I would like to find someone who would be willing to train me and have an agreement before I get on a plane and go there. I can't imagne flying to say Cebu and walking around looking for someone to train me.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be open to hearing them. Thank you. I would also prefer to do this with someone who is old school. Not commercialized. I mean thats why I am coming to Philippines in the first place is to try to learn from someone who is a master. If I want to do commercialized Kali I could just drie down to Los Angeles and do it.

There was a guy I read about who lives on Bantayan Island but is very reclusive as of late. He is someone I wish to meet one day. Anyhow, if anyone has any ideas..........................PLEASE HELP.

Salamat po sa lahat

Also, bring extra money. I'm sure you will find a lotta "toys" you may wanna bring back. The dollar may not go far in so many places anymore, but, you can still get some really nice stuff.

Thank you Matador. The info was very helpful. Hoping to find an old timer online willing to do this. Talk about a needle in a haystack.

Thank you Matador. The info was very helpful. Hoping to find an old timer online willing to do this. Talk about a needle in a haystack.

I would then suggest contacting Gat Puno Abon Baet at:

http://www.garimot.com/home/index.html

I find him to be one of the most knowledgable instructors today who is versed in the cultural, historical, physical, and medicinal aspects of the Filipino Warrior Arts. I have no doubt he can point you in the right direction. He is a great guy to know too! Good luck and have fun!

Matador-

Back