Where to look for a nice katana?

Cold Steel = no

So we are down to a $80 Musashi or a $800-$1200 AK47???

What happened to the middle ground guys??

I hear cold steel tends to have crappy balance on there swords, but are generally decent otherwise.
though crappy balance on its own can easily be a deal breaker

I own a hanwai banshee that i got for around 120$ and i am happy with. it is an odd beast though.

There was a news story with a 911 recording of a college student killing a burglar with a katana. The student bought it, because they had a home invasion robbery! Same guy came back again to get more stuff that he saw and wanted. On the 911 call you hear the kid yelling at the burglar to stay back and lie down. He did notg comply, and the cut removed his hand and went into his chest cavity and lung!

Not ideal. A shorter version, like the Chisa katana, or a waki would be easier. I have a heavy bastard sword that is too long for "home" duty.

It seems to be a great time for inexpensive japanese styled swords.

Well, i'm going to go ahead and clarify that i'm reluctant to recommend masahiro. Unlike Musashi, their quality control is hit or miss. If you get a good one, they're fantastic, but on occasion, one will slip through the cracks and will have a bit lower fit or finish quality. The good side of that is that TrueSwords will exchange a bad one out at zero cost to you.

Also, there really aren't many good options in that price range. Musashi and masahiro are about it.

Well, I ordered the Masahiro folded steel sword too. :)

I'll let you know what it looks like when I get it.
The Musachi Bamboo already shipped, so I should get that one this week.

Thank you for your advice.

I got the Musashi Bamboo Warrior yesterday. I couldn't really give it a close inspection because I got home late from work. But from what I could see the quality looks good.

They include certificate from the manufacturer listing the specs ( size , steel, serial # etc). The blade was very sharp out of the box.

I've got a Masahiro on the way , so I'll compare the quality once I get it.

But overall you can't go wrong at $80, most in that price range don't even list what materials are used.

Back