Which allen wrench for mini-Manix clip screws?

powernoodle

Power Member
The search function didn't reveal the answer, so I'll ask it here. What size allen wrench is needed for the screws holding the clip on a mini-Manix? I assume its an allen wrench, but I've gone thru both metric and standard flavors to no avail. Maybe something other than an allen wrench is needed, but it looks allen-y to me. My 76y old tool & die maker father is a little bamboozled too.

Gotta change that thing around for blade up carry, you know.

cheers

Thanks. I considered a torx, but mine looks like the screws receive a hexagonal bit like an allen, rather than the star-shaped bit of a torx. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Torx_head.png

But my eyeballs arent what they used to be, and since Allens didn't work for me I'll try the T8. Thx again.

--------

Ok, after looking at it some more, the torx idea is looking better. Maybe the side of that hexagon aren't straight after all. :thumbup:

cheers

Regardless of how it looks, if it's a Manix, it's Torx. Don't think Spyderco ever used Allen head screws, AFAIK they went from Phillips to Torx. If you're anywhere near a Home Depot, that little Husky set is great, has all the sizes you will need for the Manix, and any other Spyderco that uses Torx screws.

That photo in Wikipedia looks more like the business end of a Torx driver that the head of a Torx screw. The larger size screws do have a more distinct "star", but the small ones are barely distinguishable visually from allens. Using a allen wrench that "seems to fit" on a Torx screw will most likely mess the head up.

Back