Which becker should I buy?

Well guys I'm getting a bali-yo and figured "hey if I'm paying $20 on the shipping, might as well get something else to even it out." I have a pretty small collection, a couple folders, multi-tools, slipjoints and one fixed blade (a bravo-1). I don't use fixed blades a whole lot, just sometimes in the backyard or hunting/camping (rarely). I still want another one though and it's gonna be a becker. I just have to decide between the BK-9 and the necker. I don't have a chopper yet, did till a few years ago and I only ever used it for fun, I prefer a bit smaller blade for most chores. I like the idea of a necker but I don't see the purpose of a 3" fixed blade, I could use a folder for almost anything the necker could do. So, BK-9 or necker? The necker is cheaper which is always better but I prefer to spend the extra $30 for something more fun. (I don't need another knife:D) I know everyone will be like "get both!" but I can't afford it, I'm an unemployed 15 year old who's still living off the money I earned last summer.:(

I got a headache reading your post :confused:
But if you are 15, I recommend the smaller knife--work your way up slowly.

I vote for the BK9. If you don't lose it or snap it in half, you'll have it for the rest of your life. 10 years from now I bet you'll have a lot more use for the BK9 than the necker.

:thumbup:

I vote for the BK9. It's a solid, well balanced chopper, and if you don't have one, you should. Like a previous poster already pointed out, you'll have this knife for the rest of your life if you don't intentionally set out to destroy it or lose it. You might get the bushcraft bug later on, and the BK9 would be perfect for that.

BTW, the Bravo 1 only has a 4.25" blade, and there's a HUGE difference in how it feels in hand compared with the BK9. The world is filled with handy little folders for EDC. If you're looking for somewhere to invest some "fun money" I don't think you'd be disappointed by the BK9.

I have both the Necker and the BK9, and love both. I would make a plan to get both and save up for the one you can not get right now. You would have everything well covered with the Necker, Bravo, and BK9. You might find you use the Necker more then you think as you will likely carry it more often then a 9" blade....

This is a case where you can't go wrong!
AI

buy them all :)

but if there's a choice... mmm. get the san mai necker. it's pretty sweet. it's small. it might even become rare ;)

the BK-3 tactool is a lot of fun. it's "not a knife" but is, and more. VERY useful. keep it in your future car :) nobody will worry that you have it... a BK9 in the hands of a 15 yo around here, even camping, might be looked at funny. perhaps canada is more cool :)

Bladite

Meh thought about it but a 7 incher is neither here and neither there, not the best chopper and not the best whittler.
very true.
and for tactical purpose the BK9 is perhaps even a little better than the BK-7.
(uhm,size does matter you know:jerkit::D)

like you said about what people would advise you.
take both.

the big BK9 and the small BK2.
best of both worlds.
:thumbup:

Get the BK-9. You've already got a few small knives. Get something you don't have yet, a big a$$ chopper.

yes the BK-9 is the way to go I just ordered one myself,I have a BK-9 tan from camillius
maybe worth $$$ one day. this one will get put through the mill.I have BK-7 and been
beating on it for 4 years it's still going.the BK-9 will have more chop to it.
what ever you get don't do anything to stupid till your old enough not to have your age
blamed for your actions.

I have both the BK7 and the 'hog hunter' version of the BK9 (hog hunters were made with a sharpened top edge).

Both are really good but I find the BK7 more useful.

If you want a good moderate sized all-around utility/fighter, get the BK7.

If you're looking for more of a short sword, get the BK9.

Hard to go wrong with either of them.

My favorite Becker is the Magnum Camp; an 8" bladed carving knife on steroids. I hope KaBar brings it back.

My vote is the BK-9. Pretty much I'm echoing what others have said. Since you already have smaller knives go big.

Back when I was 15 years old and active in the Scouting program I had some Chefs knives with 9 to 10 inch. I made sheaths for them and used them while camping for brush work and light chopping. Kept them in my grub box and was responsible so my leaders never had a problem with me using them around came. Come time to make dinner they were always borrowing my knives cause they were always nice and sharp.

Now adays you might not get away with a BK-9 on a scout trip but if you go into the woods a lot with family and friends I don't see why you couldn't carry it. Then again I grew up in a small farming community where the nearest city is 60 miles away. Everyone had a knife and if you didn't you were the strange one.

I just reread your post and you stated that you hardly go camping/hunting. Even so, the BK-9 could be very usefull at home in the yard. Help your mom or dad with weeding and tree trimbing with your BK-9. They will apreciate the help and you'll get to use your knife more. When I lived at home I didn't mind helping my mom in the ward, it was one more excuse to use my knives. I always looked forward to the spring time when mom would let me trim the trees and bushes. :thumbup: Sometimes it got to the point where my mom was asking me to stop playing with my knives cause I would sometimes go to far. "Just trim the tree don't remove it". :D

Heber

Can anyone further break down the differences between the bk7 & bk9? I know im splittin hairs and the price difference I think is only $1.50 at tomars. I'm leaning towards the 7 but not sure which one would serve me better. I'm looking for a basecamp chopper and I will be blazing trails.

they both have the same blade thickness, sheaths, and handles, only difference is the blade length, and the weight. The BK9 is probably if not certainly the better chopper, but I think the BK7 is the better utility/camp knife, with decent chopping ability too.

BK9 is definitely the better chopper. No doubt about that.

I like the BK7 better because the 2" shorter blade makes it handier IMO and the balance is just right.

It just depends on your own personal preference and what you expect your knife to do.

My usual blades for the woods are either a large khukuri or a medium sized knife combined with a tomahawk. BK7 teams up really good with a tomahawk.

The first time I used my BK7, my first reaction was "Wow Ethan Becker actually improved the concept of the 7" blade military combat/utility knife"; something I long believed was perfected by the classic and legendary USMC KaBar knife.

I just recived my new BK9 yesturday. this new one is very very nimble way more than I expected,and the scales aren't as thick giving you more control.you could do finer type work with this one (3WOLVES) I realy recommend the BK9 as your frist big blade,
and you will have to get the BK7 as well later.plus the BK9 comes the BK13 piggyback
in the sheath theres your smaller blade.(I do mean smaller blade)
you won't be dissapointed with eather,

Back