Which Benchmade are you carrying today?

They both have some high mileage but still work perfectly.

X0KMYMB.jpg

I’ve had this 940 since around when they first came out. I really liked it and used it a lot. Now, I find the blade shape hideous. Bulbous and also, the whole knife feels off balance. I do really like the 941’s shape a lot, so I thought, I can mod it to that shape. I left the swedge of the 940’s shape as it was. Makes the tip a tad stronger. Now, it looks great, and the balance is perfect. Feels great. I like it again. Before and after pic.

TYQnrGO.jpg

Comparison pic of the 941’s shape, and mine.

ypN5LAz.jpg

I’ve had this 940 since around when they first came out. I really liked it and used it a lot. Now, I find the blade shape hideous. Bulbous and also, the whole knife feels off balance. I do really like the 941’s shape a lot, so I thought, I can mod it to that shape. I left the swedge of the 940’s shape as it was. Makes the tip a tad stronger. Now, it looks great, and the balance is perfect. Feels great. I like it again. Before and after pic.

TYQnrGO.jpg

Nice blade!
Looks like a 477
477-1_agency_1000x1000.jpg

Last edited:
Well... my last entry in this thread was in 2015, so I guess it's time to update what I carry. For a few months now I've been carrying a blacked out Bugout from BHQ. It's one of their $99 versions with the old Grivory or Noryl or WTH scales. That's my slicer that I pull out in front of folks wherever & whenever. But I'm also now carrying an M4 Grip with DOAT G10 scales that I got from Dr. P recently. For some reason, I've just gotten real attached to Grips and they're replaced most of what I used to carry. The M4 Grip is really sweet. I love BM's M4 and the Grip handle, even with slim G10 scales, is just perfect for my old, stiff hands.

^^ I have a mini-P 2 auto that I like a lot. I think the Presidio changes from ver 1 to ver 2 were well thought out and executed.

TYQnrGO.jpg

ypN5LAz.jpg

I am trying to figure out how removing part of the blade makes the whole knife better balanced. The stock aluminum handled 940 is handle heavy enough as it is, now it would be more so. The 943 is even worse, unless you prefer the handle always feeling like it's going to slip out of the bottom of your hand (like the PM 2 seems to want to do).

Now the 940-2 is truly balanced as is the -1601. I hear though that the -1 is slightly blade heavy.
PS, your mod does look good though, but I already have the 943, so I'll keep the 940 as it is.

I am trying to figure out how removing part of the blade makes the whole knife better balanced. The stock aluminum handled 940 is handle heavy enough as it is, now it would be more so. The 943 is even worse, unless you prefer the handle always feeling like it's going to slip out of the bottom of your hand (like the PM 2 seems to want to do).

Now the 940-2 is truly balanced as is the -1601. I hear though that the -1 is slightly blade heavy.
PS, your mod does look good though, but I already have the 943, so I'll keep the 940 as it is.

Thanks. It just felt off to me. Too blade heavy. Feels a lot better now. Not much metal taken off, really, but enough to make a difference. I like the looks better anyway.

Back