Which burner to buy?

Measurements show my forge chamber at 647 cubic inches. With that in mind I think I have narrowed down my list of new burners to purchase to one of the two listed below. Does anyone have either one of these burners and if so how do they perform? Sufficient for my forge size?

Hybridburners 1"er shows a btu ouput max of 125k at 45psi

Thermal art designs standard JF #1 shows just a max of 160k btu

Zero interest in making my own burner.

647 cu.in. - that's a big forge. I calculate it needs a bigger burner than either you show. You need 225K to 250K to weld in that volume. I would make/buy a blown burner with a 1.25 to 1.5" burner tube. An alternate is two 165K venturi burners.

So two of the thermal art design ones? They max at 160k or so the site says. Two of those equal the cost of one hybridburners burner so that is actually doable. I only have a budget of $250. Thank you Stacy.

I really really want to go forced air with a ribbon burner but cost... is always cost for a hobbyist on a limited budget like me

PS... I have that bubble alumina stuff over my kaowool and hard firebrick. Do I really need ITC100 or can I get weld temps without. Just so expensive it hurts.

Looks like I am going with Thermal Art Design. After emailing them I spoke with the guy that makes the burners "Jim Fox". He had two NEW burners that he has not added to his website yet that cost just a little bit more but offer increased nozzle longevity as well as the ability to replace the nozzle.

He sounds pretty knowledgeable about his craft. Thoroughly questioned me on my forges construction and sounds pretty confident on his burners so I am giving 2 of the new ones a whirl.

Will let you all know how it goes when i get them installed and such.

Thanks again bladeforum community, you all are awesome!

Let me know, I have 30 PSI regulator and splitter lines, you can safely get about 250k from a pair of them, and still have money left over for a cup of coffee.

Here's what Mr. Fox told me about the two I purchased. Total for both and a manifold for the two plus shipping was like $308.

30psi is obsurd. You will go through a tank of propane a day. I had a forge that was 5x6x14" inside chamber. I just used it for heat treatment. I needed 1.5psi to keep it at 1550*.

Pressure isn't a direct indicator of propane usage. It depends on the orifice in a venturi burner, which is what he is talking about. A blown burner will use a couple pounds of pressure to use the same volume of propane a venturi uses at 30PSI. The pressure through the small orifice is what creates the Venturi Effect. In a blown burner, the "orifice" is usually 1/4".

For HT, I run a venturi ate around 5-6 PSI and a blown at .5 to 1 PSI.

My burner requires 1.5lbs to run steady at 1550*. 3.5lbs for 2000*+ You just stated you use a Venturi at 5-6 lbs. That is a FAR CRY from 30. Better burner needed?

Last edited:
No. Flow through a gas jet is proportional to the square root of the pressure. A burner with a turndown of 4:1 would run at 30PSI at the top end and a bit under 2 PSI at the bottom end. In a well-designed setup, that could get welding to HT temperatures.

Back