Which Company Now Offers the Most Extreme Price:Product Quality/Performance Folders?

There are some truly stunning knives being offered for remarkably low prices these days. More and more, critics are struggling to find fault with them. They seem to be getting better and better every day. Real competition is an amazing thing.

In your opinion, which knife-makers now offer the most bang-for the buck? I'm not talking about potential collector value or pretentiousness. I'm talking real product quality in terms of actual: materials, temper, fit, finish, and product reliability? I'm talking about value as simply (price)/(performance.)

Some of the offerings from companies like: We/Civivi, Sanrenmu, Land, Ganzo, etc. are truly remarkable, and again, they're only getting better.

Say at a price point of $100.00 or less, in the same size ranges as something like say either the large or small Sebenza 31?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I bought a 14C28N full tang Hornet and two Hussars from Ruike. One in 14C28N and G10, the other with S35VN and a Ti RIL. The Ti/S35VN was 100USD.
My small Steel will Cutjack in D2 is also great for what I paid.
I thinned out the bevel a little bit on the Cutjack and the Hussar and it made a difference.

Or Victorinox?

I know it’s not really what this thread is about (sorry, see next but one para), but in terms of cost/utility both SAKs and Opinels are outstanding. I’ve probably used a SAK on a near-daily basis for 35-40 years. My current two users are both at least twenty years old. Showing their age, but still effective.

Not being a reverse snob. It’s just that they have, in my circumstances, been the real users, and have performed well. My S30V/titanium/G10 things have tended to mostly stay in the cabinet with the higher-end fixed blades.

Back properly on topic, I do not know the answer. But I am very impressed that many mid-low/mid range production knives, even from mainstream makers like Kershaw or CRKT, now have features, and steels and other materials that 15-20 years ago were the preserve only of the higher-end manufacturers. It’s remarkable what you can - apparently - get now at a price point that fairly recently would have limited an intelligent choice to a 420HC Buck or a slightly hinky Cold Steel number.

Or Victorinox?

I know it’s not really what this thread is about (sorry, see next but one para), but in terms of cost/utility both SAKs and Opinels are outstanding. I’ve probably used a SAK on a near-daily basis for 35-40 years. My current two users are both at least twenty years old. Showing their age, but still effective.

Not being a reverse snob. It’s just that they have, in my circumstances, been the real users, and have performed well. My S30V/titanium/G10 things have tended to mostly stay in the cabinet with the higher-end fixed blades.

Back properly on topic, I do not know the answer. But I am very impressed that many mid-low/mid range production knives, even from mainstream makers like Kershaw or CRKT, now have features, and steels and other materials that 15-20 years ago were the preserve only of the higher-end manufacturers. It’s remarkable what you can - apparently - get now at a price point that fairly recently would have limited an intelligent choice to a 420HC Buck or a slightly hinky Cold Steel number.

Not at all. The brands you mentioned are all high value. No question. They're just not hyper-value knives for the most part like we're seeing more and more. They are however solid knives at prices that don't reflect potential collector value, pretentiousness or just plain fatuity.

Victorinox is no1,opinel is pretty good too
As noted above, both companies offer models with very high bang for the buck scores. Neither however offer the heretofore unknown truly hyper bang for the buck levels like some of the offerings from We/Civivi, Sanrenmu, Land, Ganzo, and a number of others. The sorts of scores that push the industry forward.

I used to have a good opinion of Opinel. It had been over a decade since I had one. Then last year I purchased one of the versions with slightly better wood. I was severely disappointed. The edge was rolled right out of the box. I had forgotten how soft their steel is and that it isn't really 12C27. They had changed the locking mechanism from what I remember and apparently, not for the better. There was a lot of play in the one I had.

Now, it's possible that I just got a lemon. These things happen. The soft 12C27-mod would be a deal-breaker either way. For however easy it is to sharpen, the edge retention just isn't there.

In 2021, I can get regular 12C27 or even a few models in 14C28N for under $30. I still carry my Tangram Santa Fe in Acuto 440 on occasion. It was $20-something and is eons beyond an Opinel in terms of daily use. If you want a nice inexpensive knife with wood scales, a good blade in 12C27, and sweet action; check out the Petrified Fish 719.

As noted above, both companies offer models with very high bang for the buck scores. Neither however offer the heretofore unknown truly hyper bang for the buck levels like some of the offerings from We/Civivi, Sanrenmu, Land, Ganzo, and a number of others. The sorts of scores that push the industry forward.

So can you tell us what point system you're using to "score" these knives?

Both Opinel and Victorinox offer the best value to me. Many Opinels can be had for less than $10, have good steel, thin blade stock and comfortable handles. They are better slicers than many knives that are 10, 20, even 50 times their price. That screams value to me. Victorinox SAKs can be had for slightly more than an Opinel, but they come with so much more than just a great knife. The knife blade is great, thin and slicey, easy to sharpen, and very stainless. I use the nail files, scissors, bottle openers, tweezers, and pry bars on my SAKs more often than many of my knives. Once again, an amazing value for something that can fit on a keychain.

Clearly you value different things than I and the other posters do. So please tell us what a "hyper" value is to you, instead of telling us that we're wrong.

I have an Old Hickory Butchers knife with a 14" blade that I paid $19.95 for about 5 years ago brand new. It's great bang for the buck. I keep it in a Marbles machete sheath that was about $11.00 -- with a stone!

Not at all. The brands you mentioned are all high value. No question. They're just not hyper-value knives for the most part like we're seeing more and more. They are however solid knives at prices that don't reflect potential collector value, pretentiousness or just plain fatuity.
Show me one that cuts things better than a $9 Opinel and I'll happily agree with you, but in terms of materials and performance to cost Opinel is vastly better than any of the brands you've named.

I have an Old Hickory Butchers knife with a 14" blade that I paid $19.95 for about 5 years ago brand new. It's great bang for the buck. I keep it in a Marbles machete sheath that was about $11.00 -- with a stone!
I have the same one got it to slice watermelons, I need a sheath as my cardboard one isn't the best. :D

I used to have a good opinion of Opinel. It had been over a decade since I had one. Then last year I purchased one of the versions with slightly better wood. I was severely disappointed. The edge was rolled right out of the box. I had forgotten how soft their steel is and that it isn't really 12C27. They had changed the locking mechanism from what I remember and apparently, not for the better. There was a lot of play in the one I had.

Now, it's possible that I just got a lemon. These things happen. The soft 12C27-mod would be a deal-breaker either way. For however easy it is to sharpen, the edge retention just isn't there.

In 2021, I can get regular 12C27 or even a few models in 14C28N for under $30. I still carry my Tangram Santa Fe in Acuto 440 on occasion. It was $20-something and is eons beyond an Opinel in terms of daily use. If you want a nice inexpensive knife with wood scales, a good blade in 12C27, and sweet action; check out the Petrified Fish 719.
Thank you for the great feedback. You mentioned some excellent knives. If you're now a bit wary of Opinels, but appreciate the general design, you might look into Mam knives made in Portugal. Less expensive than Opinel. The Mam Operario I have is a linerlock with a sheepsfoot blade. It was about 10 bucks and it's a solid knife. Great value.

Once I compared my knives by cutting cardboard from a pile next to a dirt road - kinda a CATRA test - and a carbon Opinel made a great first cut, the second cut was already worse and the third cut was so bad I had problems finishing it (about 1' long cuts).

Even though it has the best edge geometry (matched only by the Spyderco Chaparral) it was the worst performing steel in terms of edge retention.

Reactions: DMG
Back