Which Criswell?

I have been reading very favorable comments on the Criswell Japanese style swords, and am thinking of buying one. The short ones look as though they would make good home defense weapons, as the blades are not too long to be impractical for use inside a house.

There are two different models of Criswell short swords I have seen offered for sale by internet dealers. One is a wazikashi with a 16 inch blade, and the other is a ninja style with a 15 inch blade. The chief differences appear to be that the wazikashi has a slightly curved blade, whereas the ninja has a straight one. Also, the grind on the ninja looks hollow, whereas the wazikashi appears to have a convex grind.

Does anyone have any opinions on which one would be best for self-defense? I am thinking the straight blade on the ninja would make it more suitable for stabbing. Otherwise, I don't know how else the two might compare in a self-defense role.

It's just a matter of opinion and what you intend to do with the sword.

The wakizashi (and the katana) is designed to be a slicing weapon.

The ninja-to can be used for slicing, but not as effective as katana/wakizashi. Stabbing would be the better choice for the ninja-to.

Again, it's just a matter of opinion and what style of defense you prefer.

Size-wise, I would lean toward the katana for self defense. I always think that the greater the distance between me and the 'enemy' the safer I am.

Self-defense (I assume it's for home protection), better trust your guns.

This is the one you want, for home defense, use in confined spaces, can thrust in a pinch if need be, won't snag on anything.

I have a 21" Himalayan Imports Gelbu Special khukuri of slim profile for home defense, it is a razor sharp and sturdy blade.

Keith

Thanks, Beluga,

I am thinking in terms of the restricted space inside a home. I do in fact own a katana, but it has a blade 29 inches long, and I think this would be a problem indoors in confined spaces. The Criswell swords I am considering are much shorter than a katana.

Due to the restricted room indoors to swing a sword, possibly it would be better to have a stabbing weapon, like the ninja. That is just my thought, but I am not sure about it. The wazikashi does not appear to be curved that much, so maybe it can also stab.

Thanks also, Ferris Wheel. Do you think the grind on the wakizashi is better? It looks to be convex or flat in the picture.

For inside the house I would want something short with enough heft to swing and a pointed blade. I would go with something more like a Moro Barong. Look at Valiant's Phillipine Barong #2.

http://www.valiantco.com/

Jeff,

Those Barongs look interesting, but the number 2 model isn't available yet. I like that there is a small guard on the number 1 model.

Before buying stuff from Valiantco, make sure you know what you are buying.

It is a great company, easy to return merchandise to, but they don't really seem to understand about knife/sword.

I once bought a 'Damascus khukri', but when I received the khukri, I was surprised to see that the blade is not even damascus.

The maker just 'peel' a layer of the steel to make it look like damascus. When I complained about it, the seller kept insisting that the blade was damascus.

I would recommend Kris Cutlery as a better shop. Cecil (the owner) knows about knives and swords, the service is great and I know that their stuffs are very functional and everything what they say.

www.kriscutlery.com ---> website

Flat, Convex, or hollow, grind is made to fit usage. since few folks wear impact armor today, I think all of those grindw will stand up to the taks of home defense. For actual chopping and such, the flat and convex grinds will stand up to hard use (i.e. chopping wood, leather, metal).

Beluga....thanks for the insight on Valiantco's "Damascus". This is an age old technique of welding thin damacus panels to steel, because people liked the look of it. I wondered if those Khuks were any good. Have you chopped anything with it? is it razor sharp?

"I would recommend Kris Cutlery as a better shop."---Beluga
WT, I too would recommend Kris cutlery. I've got a bunch of their pieces, from daggers to longswords, and they do a great job.

Also check out Himalayan Imports selection of 21" and longer models. Very tough, and unconditional guarantee on their pieces.

Keith

Keith,

I returned the 'damascus khukri' =)
As I say, I know for sure that it's not damascus, it's not even welded.

Razor sharp ? It is sharp, but not razor sharp.

Have I cut anything with it ? Nope. At first I decided to 'use' the knife for everyday chores, but the blade is too thin for a chopping tool. So, I returned the khukri and bought the khukri from HI imports. Khukri from HI import is more suitable for chopping.

I agree with what you say about grind. For home protection, any grind will do. My favorite grind is convex though, the convex grind makes the edge more resistant from being chipped.

Jo

There has been discussion of various grinds on some other threads recently. What I have concluded from reading those is that there are more factors at work than just the grind, affecting the performance of knives for various uses.

At one time I had considered ordering a Mineral Mountain Hatchet Works Bowie, but then became concerned because these knives all have hollow grinds. I had thought that large Bowies, which are used alot for chopping, ought to have flat, sabre, or convex grinds.

However, I found some threads on the testing of MMHW Bowies, and the owners reported no problems whatsoever with the hollow grind. The blade did not chip or bind in wood. So it would appear a hollow grind is not necessarily a bad thing for a chopping blade.

Back on the subject of the Criswell wazikashi versus ninja for home defense, I am now leaning toward the ninja after watching a TV program about swords, axes, and knives last night. In the sword discussion, it was stated that stabbing is a more effective way to end a fight than slashing, because stabbing reaches vital organs. So I am thinking that the Criswell ninja is the best choice for home defense, because it is should be a better stabber, and stabbing is a better means than slashing to stop an attacker.

Back