Which Dyad?

I've been thinking alot lately about getting a dyad to carry on occasions when my tactical knives aren't appropriate. I like the idea of having both a serrated blade and a plain edge blade in one small package. The dyad seems like a good gentlemans knife.

I've also been considering getting a decent high carbon steel stockman, but for about the same money, I could get a spyderco that perfoms similar functions.

My question is this: Which dyad? The full-sized? The mini? The lightweight?

Is the mini-dyad too small to be opened easily? The large seems a little bigger than what I want - one of the blades is bigger than my spyderco standard. How does the micarta hold up? Do they all have pocket clips?

Does anyone out there carry one on a regular basis? My EDC right now is a gunting, which is a little big for me to carry in dress pants, especially without a jacket to cover it.

My main concern is the size of the hole on the mini - I'm a big guy (6'4") and have long fingers. Am I going to be able to open it easily? (I wish I could handle one, but the only knife store I know of doesn't have it)

Thanks!
-- Rob

Hi Rob, I have one of the small micarta Dyads, and I like it very much. The micarta has held up fine, though the black finish on the clip is worn along the edges. I have no problem opening it, though I have shortish fingers. On the whole, my hands are good-sized though, so I would guess you'd be okay. I saw one for sale in the For Sale forum yesterday for $40; I think that's a good deal. I'd guess you could probably get that much for it if it ended up not fitting your hand.

Hi Rob. the micarta version is no longer produced. The FRN version has larger holes than the micarta version did so it is easier to open. The FRN version has no clip.

The large Dyad is a BIG knife for SERIOUS cutting.

sal

I carry the Jr., w/o a clip, in my pocket like a regular gent's folder. Works well, opens easily and doesn't freak anyone out. Sal is right about the large, it is a pretty big knife for office carry, I usually only carry mine after work & on weekends, keeps my Sebenza company,
wink.gif

------------------
Buck Collectors Club Member # 572
Dedicated ELU
Knifeknut(just ask my wife)
Sebenzanista

If you haven't noticed the thread, "Harpy or Native", there is a link there to where a forumite bought a Spydie. Here 'tis: http://www.bayouknifeworks.com/auctions/knives.htm

They are selling the small Dyad for $44.20 including shipping.

I recently got the large Dyad which I really like. But, haven't carried it yet, so can't tell you anything. In looking at the small Dyad just now, noticed that it has perhaps a more useful shape on the non-serrated blade.
Then again, that blade on the large one loooks like no other, and I think its cool.
cool.gif

------------------
Asi es la vida

Bugs

[This message has been edited by Bugs3x (edited 05-01-2001).]

I have the Mini and carry it every day. I bought one of the smaller Spydercos for a guy who works for me. Can't remember the model right now but once he saw my Mini Dyad
he gave the one I gave him for his birthday to his wife and ordered a Mini. I like mine and as I say carry it every day. The only thing that I can say negative about the Dyad is that when using one blade the handle is less than comfortable with the other blade closed in the handle. The blades open fine and I am a big man. I don't find the holes too small at all. I have the red and my friend pruchased the blue. Neither color actually looks really blue or red.

John

I have the mini in micarta and wouldn't trade it for any other knife I have seen.
There is a Mini AFCK M2, a couple of bucks, a case and a gerber on top of my dresser right now. That's where they stay.

I broke my right hand in a fall a couple of years ago and lost a little mobility but I have no problem opening my Dyad.

Just practice getting the feel of of which blade you are about to open without looking.

I dont know if this is contrary to forum etiquette, so if it is disregard this, but, I have a small FRN dyad that I'd like to sell... I'd sell it for $40 shipped...

Email me if you're interested...

--Matt

The Mini and Dyad are two of my all time favorite Spyders. I can't believe how handy it is to have both the razor and Spyderedge blades at your disposal. I have been carrying the large as an EDC lately and IMHO is easy to carry but I also carry a Darrel Ralph Mad Max so I'm partial to big folders. You can't go wrong with either one. They are handy as all get out.

Sal
I like the Dyad. I have the Mini in the micarta version. What I was wondering was if the large one will be available in FRN anytime soon or at all? Thanks for your input

------------------
I used to be disgusted .Now I am just amused....I feel much better now that I have given up all hope

Dyad Jr. Micarta (if you can get one). Best EDC for office etc.

FRN Dyad Jr. - didn't like the feel of it. Subjective, but still, that's my input. The larger holes weren't "better" and the lock felt as if it were in the wrong spot.

Full Sized Dyad Micarta - played with one and hated it. Uncomfortable to say the least. A knife of that size begs to be a hard user, but it's just too damn uncomfortable. I love Spyderco, and the Dyad Jr, but the full sized, I don't know
rolleyes.gif

Just a tool talking about tools...

RLR

Sal
Dang!!!!!. If you made one in FRN I probably would have switched from my Wayne Goddard Ltwt to that as my on duty carry. Oh well one can only wish ,i guess. Thanks for the quick answer

------------------
I used to be disgusted .Now I am just amused....I feel much better now that I have given up all hope

Back