which EDC

I know everyone will have a opinion about Benchmade but here's my question. I'm looking for a EDC that will mostly be used for stuff around the house and occasionally to clean a fish or skin a squirrel or deer. I haven't got a lot of expendable income but want a good quality knife: folder, drop point, and available for <140.00. I like the looks and specs of the Mini Boost, Bugout and Griptillion. I am elderly and have always used buck or case in the past. any recommendations/opinions are appreciated.

I know everyone will have a opinion about Benchmade but here's my question. I'm looking for a EDC that will mostly be used for stuff around the house and occasionally to clean a fish or skin a squirrel or deer. I haven't got a lot of expendable income but want a good quality knife: folder, drop point, and available for <140.00. I like the looks and specs of the Mini Boost, Bugout and Griptillion. I am elderly and have always used buck or case in the past. any recommendations/opinions are appreciated.
Welcome to the forum.
I know you mentioned BM but as you posted in GKD (General Knife Discussion) and not the BM sub (which is perfectly fine BTW), have you considered a fixed blade Spyderco?
I know Id prefer a fixed blade knife for the tasks you mention.
A Spyderco Moran drop point or trailing point can be had for around $100. Its a good knife.

Welcome to the forum.
I know you mentioned BM but as you posted in GKD (General Knife Discussion) and not the BM sub (which is perfectly fine BTW), have you considered a fixed blade Spyderco?
I know Id prefer a fixed blade knife for the tasks you mention.
A Spyderco Moran drop point or trailing point can be had for around $100. Its a good knife.
Just getting to know my way around this great forum so excuse me if I posted this in wrong group.

Just getting to know my way around this great forum so excuse me if I posted this in wrong group.
No, you didnt post in the wrong forum, as mentioned. You are fine in GKD. No worries.
I just took the liberty of suggesting an alternative to Benchmade, since you werent adamant, that you wanted a BM only (and since you didnt post in the BM sub, where suggesting other makes might not have been the thing to do).

Did you check out the Moran or is that not for you?

Bugout, as others have mentioned. Keep in mind though it’s a really light knife, that may not be what you are looking for.

I say go with your gut feeling. Those benchmades you mention are good knives that work for a lot of people. Forget the politics you’ve seen lately and get what you like.

I’m carrying a 808 Loco today.

I might suggest sticking with a clip point for your aforementioned tasks. As someone suggested in the BM subforum, the Mini Crooked River might be a good option. In addition to the clip point, the handles's design seems to aid in fine manipulation cutting tasks.

Although I have many BM knives, my Bucks seems to get equal or greater pocket time and use. I suggest looking into many of the unique dealer exclusive Bucks from SKBlades, Copper & Clad, DLT Trading, etc. There are aluminum Buck 110's, exclusive 112's, the Buck 110 LT with upgraded blade steel is one of my favorites (followed by some DE 112's), and the 110 and 112 Slim seem to be very popoular for those wanting a thinner version with pocket clips and thumbstuds. These knives are often signficantly less than BM's... even the upgraded materials versions sold as dealer exclusives.

Last edited:
I’ve had both the mini and the full size griptillan and I’d highly recommend both. Great ergonomics, super smooth opening and closing with the axis lock. Pretty sure they upgraded their standard steel to from the already fairly good 154cm to s30v. I used (and abused) both of those knives and they held up great. My only complaint is the cheap feel of the plastic handles.

I liked the mini griptillian enough to buy one for my brother. They make great edc knives, very capable for most stuff

I've got a few Benchmades and I like them all. That being said, unless your beating the crap out of it I might consider a spyderco delica, manix, etc. They have great blade geometry and carry well. I usually grab a Pm2 or delica 4 if I'm not planning on doing heavy work. Just food for thought, good luck!

While the Bugout is a great knife I feel like as a primary folder the Griptillian is probably a better choice as it is sturdier. I wouldn’t want my primary folder to be a light duty knife.

Also I highly recommend a fixed blade for filleting/skinning or such related tasks. Last thing you want is biological material getting into the pivot of the knife. Especially for filleting fish anything but a fillet knife you will likely find wanting. It will work fine but you will always feel like a fillet knife could have done much better.

If you have always liked Buck, check out SK Blades. They do some standard Buck patters with upgraded steel.
https://www.skblades.com/

There there are also some lightweight Buck 110’s available now. Aluminum or plastic. I’ve carried a Buck 110 everyday for over 30 years. I’m not changing anytime soon.

If your not set on a benchmade, check out the spyderco. They have quite a few knives inside of your price range. Also I think its much easier to process animals with a fixed blade. :) You could get a 10.00 Mora and spend the rest on a pocket knife maybe? Just my 2 cents. Welcome to the form and best of luck!

BladeHQ is actually having a sale right now and i saw some griptillions in the mix, they're great if you can't (or dent want to) sharpen your knives. put it in a box and get it back a week later sharpened and ready to go. personally i would be more interested in a fixed blade with those tasks. i have had nothing but great experiences with benchmade but a spyderco Paramilitary 2 is a great knife as well.

Check out the Hogue Ritter. It’s nearly, and I say that liberally, a Benchmade Ritter Griptilian of old. The blade shape is just about perfect, the geometry is excellent, and the steel is better than S30V and 154, in my opinion at least. M390 is one of my favorite stainless steels. Those who’ve gotten one seemed to be pleased with the purchase.

This is the blade profile.

kBLvQSk.jpg

I use and carry my mini Ritter almost daily and I expect to do so for many years. I’d wholeheartedly recommend a Benchmade mini Ritter, but the prices they command is a bit out of touch, especially with the Hogue out there.

..... I'm looking for a EDC that will mostly be used for stuff around the house and occasionally to clean a fish or skin a squirrel or deer. .....

I haven't read all posts so this might been already suggested but for the chores you are talking about and being arround the house (where you don't have to comply with any law but your own), I would go the fixed blade route.

Folders are usually not recommended for sanitary reasons to process game. Crap gets into the mechanisms and besides ruining the action of the knife, it could provide the perfect soil for bacteria to grow. Cleaning them well is tricky. Fixed blade knife solves all these problems. If you have mentioned chopping some veggies... I would say a folder could be used, but for blood, hair, guts and fish scales... fixed is the way to go.

Mikel

Back