Which ESEE for my son? USMC combat engineer

Hello all,
I stumbled on this forum a week ago and since then have found a wealth of info about knives. What a great forum! Anyway, I was researching the various manufacturers and have decided on purchasing an ESEE for my son who is deployed in the USMC as a combat engineer. His MOS is mine sweeping, detecting IEDs, and disarming other various explosives on the battlefield. My wife and I were pretty surprised at how shoddily our boys are equipped sometimes and our son is no different. We want to get him an all purpose fixed blade that will hold up to the demands of his job. This is the biggest reason we are impressed with the ESEE line.

My question is which knife? I'm leaning toward the 5 with serrations. He cuts through wire, sheet metal, digs in the dirt, etc. It looks a if this is the blade to get. I will probably get myself a 4 as well but wanted feedback from you all. The only concern I have is the weight of the 5. He is in full battle-rattle a good bit and every ounce adds up. Anyone on this board with experience in this matter? I'd get him a 4 but want to give him a practically failsafe blade and the 5 looks like the one. I know the other ones are fantastic blades but my boy will probably be using it to pry and whatever. So, what do you all think?

Thanks in advance and best regards,
Cheers623
DVC

I would say get him the 5

its not overheavy but its tuff as all hell.....

Personally if it was for me I would want the Esee 5 or the Esee 6

I would go with the 5 also. For the use he will get out of it, he won't notice the extra weight. The knife is the tank of knives!

I think the 5 with serrations would be perfect.:thumbup:
And +1 on the MOLLE back.

First off Thank You to you and your wife for raising a squared away son.:thumbup:

The ESEE-5 serrated would serve him well. I normally do not go for the serrated blades but with his MOS it seems the logical way to go.

As soon as you said the word "pry", that has the 5 written all over it.

Tell your son stay safe.

When I got the 5, the weight seemed like way too much, but you quickly get over when you realize how useful it is. It's like another appendage now.

+1 for the 5

For the type of work he's doing...gotta be the 5!

For any lighter work...Clip point 4

I think that a serrated 5 with a molle back would be the best. Id say serrations because of how thick and tough some military webbing is, and the serrations would be helpfull if the knife became dull. Make sure he has a good way to sharpen the blade, a dull 5 is a pry bar. If he doesnt have a way to sharpen it, check out the Spyderco Sharpmaker.

Being a former Marine I would recommend the 5 with serrations for his MOS. Tell your son thanks for his service and to stay safe.

Semper Fi,
Mike

I was with 8th Eng. out of Camp Lejeune NC in 88-89. Tell your son Semper Fi! Thank him for his service.

I too would recommend the ESEE 5 with the Molle Back.

I definitely think the 5 is the way to go. Has that been suggested yet? ;)

As far as the weight, it's really not bad. Sure, it's heavy, but it's not noticeable, I'm sure he's already used to lugging heavy gear. I'd be sure to get him the MOLLE back and add-on pouch as well, so he has a lot of carry options.

Hey everyone,
thanks a million for the input and the kind words for my son. He is 1st CEB, 13th MEU out of Pendelton. OOrah! He had a Ka-Bar that got lost when his AAV flooded at sea and they had to bail out. He didn't think too much of that knife anyway so I told him I'd send him a better replacement. The 5 definitely looks pretty close to bullet proof. Any thoughts about standard or clip-point? I would normally go with the standard blade for myself but are there any advantages to the clip-point. If things get to the point where he has to poke holes in anybody at conversational range I don't think it will make that much difference. I'm more concerned with the utility of one design over the other.

Thanks again for the help.
Best regards,
cheers623
DVC

Hey everyone,
thanks a million for the input and the kind words for my son. He is 1st CEB, 13th MEU out of Pendelton. OOrah! He had a Ka-Bar that got lost when his AAV flooded at sea and they had to bail out. He didn't think too much of that knife anyway so I told him I'd send him a better replacement. The 5 definitely looks pretty close to bullet proof. Any thoughts about standard or clip-point? I would normally go with the standard blade for myself but are there any advantages to the clip-point. If things get to the point where he has to poke holes in anybody at conversational range I don't think it will make that much difference. I'm more concerned with the utility of one design over the other.

Thanks again for the help.
Best regards,
cheers623
DVC
As far as I understand, the ESEE-5 isn't available with the clip point.

Back