Which folder?

I've narrowed it down to getting either the AR or the SNG. I'd like to hear from people who have these as to which they would choose and why. Thanks.

Jon

What are you planning to use it for? I own a GB, but can vouch for the AR. Don't own a SnG, but sounds great. If you're looking for EDC with not much abuse I'd go with the SnG. That's not to say the SnG can't withstand abuse as Mick described in a previous thread. However, the SnG is more user friendly for EDC. If you're looking for a military or duty folder go with the AR. Better yet, if you can afford it, go with both! However, it sounds as though the SnG's are the focus now, so you'll probably get it quicker than the AR.

Yeah, what ADK said. I have both..er..all three. If I HAD to choose only one, it would be the AR. It still is THE Folder. Don't get me wrong, the SnG is a nice pocket knife and great to carry around as an EDC, but there is something about the AR/GB that makes want to have it around, always. Once you buy one you will want the other anyway. I say get which ever one comes your way first, then make plans to buy the other.

Good luck in your search,

S.

I want a good quality EDC as a reliable back up while carrying concealed and as a primary weapon when I have to disarm to venture into no carry zones. I currently carry a CRKT Crawford Kasper which is a great knife. I bought this before I became quality concious about knives. I am not knocking this knife it has been a great tool for me. I want to step up to a better piece of steel and something with a little more heft that can take more abuse if necessary. Yet I don't necessarily want to add weight. I prefer the spear point over the tanto that is why I didn't mention the GB. I have looked at the AR and the SnG and both are great looking knives that appear to fit my needs. I just was looking for feedback as to which others prefer. I don't usually put my blades through a lot of abuse but is is nice to know that they can take it if needed.

I had to go with both. My AR just arrived last week. I use it mainly for military duty. I have an SnG on order more for the EDC role. As soon as you start talking about using the knife as a weapon, I would immediately suggest the AR. Bigger grip, bigger blade, more heft. It's big enough to serve as a kubotan while closed if you are looking for less lethal alternatives. It will, however add weight. I've carried a folder every day of my life for the past 12 years or so and this is the only one that I actually noticed in my pocket. The good new is, it only feels heavy in the pocket, not in the hand. Then again, I've only had mine for a week, I'm sure I will get used to the weight soon. Like ADK said earlier, the SnG will be your best bet in the future as dealers are taking pre-orders now. I don't know when more ARs are going out. Good luck, I'm sure you'll be happy with your choice.

I want a good quality EDC as a reliable back up while carrying concealed and as a primary weapon when I have to disarm to venture into no carry zones.

You need an AR. SnG could be used as a weapon, however the blade lenght is a little shorter, thinner and not as stout. You are going to add weight with the AR but ounce for ounce it's worth it.

S.

I can't seem to find the specs for the AR (weight, length, thickness etc). I would like to the info to compare and contrast with the SnG and the CRKT I've already mentioned. I did find an older post that has photos of the AR and the SnG side by side from many different angles which is very interesting. If someone can help on the specs I'd appreciate it.

Jon, here you go. I hope it helps. BTW, I own an AR...

Strider AR specs

Length (open) 9.425"
Length (closed) 5.52"
Maximum Height (closed) 1.89"
Center of pivot to the blade tip 4.7"
Center of pivot to the butt 4.725"
Weight 9 oz.
------------------
Handle

Thickness .96" (with clip)
Thickness .715" (without clip)
Maximum Height (at its highest point) 1.51"
Minimum Height (at its narrowest point) .98"
--------------------------------------------
Blade

Length 4"
Thickness .187" (per Mick Strider)
Maximum Height 1.61"
BG-42, ATS-34 60-61 RC (per Paul Bos)
S30V 59.5-60 RC (per Paul Bos)
--------------------
Liner Lock

Thickness 0.10"

I currently own an AR, but I have an SnG on order. While I admire the construction of both knives, to me, they have two different functions.

If you could plan for every emergency, then a folding knife of any kind might not be a good choice. I believe that the AR is the closest thing to the imaginary 'folding prybar' that many folks are seeking.

Having said that, there are many times when a smaller knife might be a good choice; like a folder for church.

As Lynn has pointed out to me, the actual cutting edge of the SnG (in length) is very close to the actual cutting edge of the AR. And you know how much I hate to admit that Lynn is right about anything!

Courtesy of Aluminumovercast

Side by Side...........

Attachments

• ar_sng_sm.jpg
    ar_sng_sm.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 197
Back