Which is better utility bayonet

I'm caught between the glock m71 and a ontario m7b does anyone have both that can tell me the pros and cons of them both. I like the style shape and durability of the m71 I have one of those but am not satisfied with its slicing ability nor edge holding. The ontario m7b seems to be very similar but I know nothing of its ability to slice it edge holding. Can anyone please give a comparison or thoughts

I have three Grade A military surplus M7 bayonets made by General Cutlery. I found online that they are made of 1095 steel. I have sharpened two of them so far. They sharpened up fine but I doubt that they will hold an edge very well. I didn't buy them for a knife anyway.

I'm caught between the glock m71 and a ontario m7b does anyone have both that can tell me the pros and cons of them both. I like the style shape and durability of the m71 I have one of those but am not satisfied with its slicing ability nor edge holding. The ontario m7b seems to be very similar but I know nothing of its ability to slice it edge holding. Can anyone please give a comparison or thoughts
Have you had a look at the Ontario OKC3S bayonet? Very useable as a utility knife too.

.. the glock m71 ... I like the style shape and durability of the m71 I have one of those but am not satisfied with its slicing ability nor edge holding...
need to know how to sharpen
the width on narrow slender blades.
a factory edge would require
a steeper bevel reprofiling
to produce a very keen edge.
don't expect lasting edge holding

4 years in the Army and never checked a bayonet out of the armory except during basic training. Never found a need for it during 2 1/2 years on the Czech border.

Buck made a bayonet that was more like a big knife. It will slice some, too, and will hold a better edge. It is a jack of all trades and even has a wire cutter.

Bayonets usually suck as knives, and even people I know who have Glock Field knife have only bought it because it's a Glock, cheap and used by army. They either never used them or they just used them once...

Back to topic... bayonets are designed to stab people, to withstand entire weight of rifle and momentum of person holding the rifle while piercing cloting and flesh of the enemy. That's a lot of force, so steel is rather soft, otherwise it could break easily. Edges also can't be very fine or they'd roll or chip.

All that being said, bayonets are usually used as throwing knives by bored soldiers and their only utility use is to open MRE's.

And their edge retention, slicing and chopping abilities are rather poor, they are good for stabbing and that's pretty much it.

The USMC bayonet was specifically designed to be able to be used as a knife, then as a bayonet, and it performs very well. Not sure why you are interested in a bayonet, but if that is what you want the USMC OKC bayonet is the best one out there. In my career I was issued the M4, M5, M6, M7 and finally the M9 and the USMC one is the best of all of them. John

I agree with John. If you really need a bayonet that will serve as a decent knife the Ontario USMC is the way to go. I just wish it had been around during my own years in the service.

I also agree with John about the Ontario Marine bayonet. I was issued one and it definitely worked as a knife as it's made with the same steel and presumably the same heat treat as the Kabar style Ontario combat knife. It can cut, scrape, pry, and pierce like any other large combat knife.

Back