Which knives as trainers?

Daniel Koster

www.kosterknives.com
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I have "in the works" several training versions of some of my knives...and even a few designs that are "trainers only".

One in particular is a short/light EDC-type kerambit that is truly a "Sharp Sixth Finger". The local martial arts school is interested in a run of these trainers and believes them to be valuable for their classes.

Eventually I'll transition this one over to a real knife. (pics forthcoming)

Anyway....what kinds of knives do you like as trainers?

How much do you expect to pay for them? Personally, I'd want 'em cheap...maybe even made of mild steel.

Ideas? Suggestions?

:thumbup:

Dan

My "Odoroki" design (I sent it to you last year) has been produced in rubber and is very popular in the Bujinkan. (Its sold by Tengu Weapons)
Do you still have the design ?

Mild steel, aluminum, wood, they are all good. Just gotta be careful not to impale someone, yet they still hurt like hyell...:eek:

Some of my favorites in college were the ones that were made when the club didnt have any money and were made with modified 1"x2" pine with a poly finish to harden it up.

Now that I think about it you could probably use some of the thicker kydex. Although I would price it. Mild steel and aluminum can be bought anywhere and once you figure in shipping and handeling it can really kill a good deal on anything these days.

I would be happy with a paracord wrapped k-tusk.

I would use anything but rubber: when you try disarming techniques, the "blade" bend and break your leverage.

Actually, its a fairly stiff kind of rubber called "santoprene"
It does bend a little, but not much.

I do have the drawings...somewhere....I've changed computers since then...I'll try to dig it up.

Keep the ideas coming.

I like the K-TUSK trainers idea. Aluminum? G10? Mild steel?

Aluminum would be fine. Cheap but good for the task.

Also, there are so many kali practitionners here that it would be easy to start a passaround.

I like that idea....how about a "trainer set"?

Like this:

A kerambit
A short fixed blade (3-4" blade)
A large fixed blade (7-9" blade)

...for the passaround.

Aluminum will develop nasty burrs if it gets whacked against another metal weapon or dropped on the ground.
I would prefer a rigid but safe rubber.
Steel might be ok if it is well blunted and rounded.
I've tried them all and I almost always end up with the rubber knives.
Not the old crappy halloween rubber knives, but the newer santoprene knives molded from real fighting knives.

What did you have in mind for the big knife Dan?

And Danny, is Dan equiped to work with hard rubber? That is to be considered too. At the dojo we have one of those Fairbairn rubber trainer and I HATE it. (not the design, the trainer).

Back