How To Which manufacturer builds full tang daggers that are long?

In all seriousness, though, let me see if I understand you:

Sandbags, as an analogy for a body? ...Okay then. As an argument for full tang? On account of the fact that the thrust of a blade into a resisting target may produce high lateral strain? Conceded, though partial tangs may prove stronger than you think. But I don't see how it could be an argument for cylindrical vs. oval handle cross section.

If we are talking about piercing a body, like, say, that of a hog or other animal, it has less to do with the mass in one's arm, and more to do with how the point geometry multiplies the force exerted in the thrust. If we are talking about slashing, a round handle cross section is fine on something like a falchion or kukri where the mass distribution of the blade facilitates effortless edge alignment, but I wouldn't want a symmetrical blade that has a cylindrical handle cross section. Some mass (in the blade) is desirable for chopping, but thrusting is all about point geometry. Regardless, I don't know how the question of mass in the arm has anything to do with either the handle cross section, or full vs. partial tang.
This idea?. Sort of mabye?

Imagine you are tasked with taking a shovel and stabbing it into the side of a stack of filled sandbags. Your body will go into a natural position to do that. There is not enough inertia in a single human arm to get the force you need, so you naturally incorporate both hands and then integrate your own body weight into it. If the shovel's cylindrical handle were short enough, you might even hold it flush against your body for support. There is just not enough mass in the human arm to promote damage on the receiving end outside of nicks and cuts.

I am confused. What exactly do you want to do with this knife?

I know pig hunters and they can push a knife through a pig with all the hide and hair, caked in mud. Which can be pretty resistant to knives.

Ah yes, the walk towards your enemy and “change hands, very slowly” guy. Doesn’t he know that’s so 20th century? Modern commandos walk towards their enemy juggling three knives and a trick compass.

^Smatchet"s father.

A 2 handed dagger? Sometimes even pro pig hunters just use a knife.
[video]
Not me.

Last edited:
Dawson Knives. Nothing available on their website that meets your criteria at the moment, but keep them on your radar. A knife seller named after the 48th state has a long back catalogue of Dawson knives, most already sold but good for looking at their previous offerings.

Zieg

Last edited:
I picked up a musketoon bayonet that is not knife like. The 1870 rolling block is quite handy and the big bad 1832 another chunky monkey.

DSC00625.JPG

DSC00627.JPG

DSC00629.JPG

Cheers
GC

I am confused. What exactly do you want to do with this knife?

I know pig hunters and they can push a knife through a pig with all the hide and hair, caked in mud. Which can be pretty resistant to knives.
In 1960 in Japan, Yamaguchi struck a politician with a 13 inch wakizashi. Yamaguchi had both hands on the handle and used the momentum of his entire body. When he switched over for the second strike, both hands were returned to the handle, and his pose exactly mirrors a person about to stick a garden shovel into a pile of soil. In both instances, the entire momentum of the attacker's body is being concentrated to the point at the end of the sword. People in this thread are claiming that a non-cylindrical handle is better, but a cylindrical handle appears on garden shovels for this same enhanced grip with both hands.

Having a look. A lot of the European companies do decent looking large stickers. So joker, Muela, cuderman.

You could probably squeeze a two handed grip out of some of them.

In 1960 in Japan, Yamaguchi struck a politician with a 13 inch wakizashi. Yamaguchi had both hands on the handle and used the momentum of his entire body. When he switched over for the second strike, both hands were returned to the handle, and his pose exactly mirrors a person about to stick a garden shovel into a pile of soil. In both instances, the entire momentum of the attacker's body is being concentrated to the point at the end of the sword. People in this thread are claiming that a non-cylindrical handle is better, but a cylindrical handle appears on garden shovels for this same enhanced grip with both hands.
I have killed lots of feral hogs with knives. The largest was very Russian-type with very thick shoulder plate and was right at 300 lbs. For that pig I used a cylindrical but knurled handled CRK Project 1. While holding the right rear leg with my left hand I was able to stab up to the hilt twice to the heart without any issues. That was my favorite hog knife, but I also used a Blackjack 1-7, and a Cold Steel Trailmaster which was much harder to get through gristle plate due to the shape of the blade - not the handle. I used a Wally Hayes Waki-Tac to kill a boar and i used it with one hand as all the others. The blade has much to do with it. The only issue I have with cylindrical handles is when twisting or knowing the position when not seeing the blade. They can rotate. My bark spud knifes are cylindrically handled.

I looked at the photo and got confused. Then I re-read your post and it came clear *into a pile of soil*, so yes, the photo makes sense. Kinda, the boy in photo is using all his body to strike forward from close. When I do gardening and hit with my garden shovel into a pile of soil I don't need that much strength, I'm sticking it into soil in order to get shovelful of stuff out. Hence, I'm not totally convinced that cylindrical handle of a garden shovel is better. It seems to me that makers of those implements are not considering 'using full force on one's body for horizontally striking' as design criteria for their handles. I would guess round shape is more to ease hot spots when shovelling a full day than all out use of force. I guess it would help if you'd explain what is the use case foreseen here?

Scorpion swords has a few. He will also make most any custom design you can think of. The blades are a little rough but tough and he will sell finished blanks if you want to finish make the handle yourself.

Back