Which model?

silenthunterstudios

Slipjoint Addict
Platinum Member
I saw a lot of Fiddleback knives at Scott Gossmans campout shop tour a couple weeks ago, and decided I need to put up or shut up, and get a knife from Andy. However, I can't choose! I already have different knives to suit my needs in varying sizes, I am not filling an exact need. My only stipulation is that the blade length varies from 3.5" to 5" (no choppers just yet ;)), and that the handles be a little bit bigger than your average bears. I have big paws. I am a big fan of O1 (even I can't let it go to pot, and I can sharpen it!). I'm not the biggest fan of the Nessmuk, but I love Kephart designs, bushcrafts (no scandi grinds), and I really like his Woodsman model. Every time I get ready to order one, I am overwhelmed by the choices.

How did the handle on my Hunter fit you? That was the red and black one. You can always ask Andy to make you a Bushcrafter blade with that handle. Or just ask for a larger handle etc..

Shaking your hand was like shaking someones hand that had a baseball mitt on..:eek::D

I have notoriously big and picky hands, and Andy made a hunter model that fit me like a glove. Look a few threads down for pics! Awesome work.

The woodsman is a nice knife. I got to handle one on the passaround here.:thumbup:

PS Silenthunter. I stand in awe. You are beating me in post count.

My Woodsman has been the best money I've spent on a knife...period. I never prep a meal in the kitchen without it. I never hit the trail without it strapped to my hip. Shove a SAK or Multi in my pocket, grab my firesteel, maybe strap on a shooter and I'm set for the wilds;)

Hands down Woodsman as a jack of all trades blade.

The hunter is on my shortlist...as is the woodsman. Don't think you could go wrong with either. I have Andy's bow legged chopper and it's a well made and very sturdy knife.

I saw a lot of Fiddleback knives at Scott Gossmans campout shop tour a couple weeks ago, and decided I need to put up or shut up, and get a knife from Andy. However, I can't choose! I already have different knives to suit my needs in varying sizes, I am not filling an exact need. My only stipulation is that the blade length varies from 3.5" to 5" (no choppers just yet ;)), and that the handles be a little bit bigger than your average bears. I have big paws. I am a big fan of O1 (even I can't let it go to pot, and I can sharpen it!). I'm not the biggest fan of the Nessmuk, but I love Kephart designs, bushcrafts (no scandi grinds), and I really like his Woodsman model. Every time I get ready to order one, I am overwhelmed by the choices.

First, I'm glad you stopped by, and I'm excited that you're interested! If you like 01, you've come to the right place.

The Woodsman blade is 5.5" long. So I'd say you should go with the Hunter. Another reason to choose that model is your big hands. The Hunter has my widest grip spine to edge. That makes it the easiest to fit with a truly robust handle like Spooky needed. His is 1" wide at the swell. Tony's was small by comparison.

The Bushcrafter has a pretty wide handle nowadays too. It sports a 4" blade, but the handle is only 4.5" long. The Hunter is better suited IMO.

How did the handle on my Hunter fit you? That was the red and black one. You can always ask Andy to make you a Bushcrafter blade with that handle. Or just ask for a larger handle etc..

Shaking your hand was like shaking someones hand that had a baseball mitt on..:eek::D

Did you go to Scotts? You are a true friend, a couple of folks have spoken about my knives being there!

Back