Which MultiTool or SAK for the office?

I work in a casual office in the suburbs. I carry either my Leatherman Wave or Victorinox SwissToll R/S in my everyday office bag. My Vic Midnite MiniChamp II (lots of tools, tiny, nonthreatening) resides in a trouser pocket. For those who work in similar environments, what do you like to carry?

Lately I've been carrying a Cyber Tool 41. It's kind of clunky, but I love all those tools.

It's attached to my belt by a chain and hangs in my left pocket. That way I don't get that awkward "is that a gun or are you just happy to see me" kind of lump in my pants pocket. ;)

I do something similar with my Cyber Tool 34, the belt loop takes the all the weight of the knife, saves your pocket from wearing out aswell.

rentals

It's been my experience that along with bone or wood handled folder, a SAK is about as non-threatening a knife you can get (red handles). Even moreso if there's keys attached to it. Sheeple are more likely to think "he's probably handy" instead of "he's a crazy mofo with a knife". A smaller Juice style colored multitool would probably be less scary than a polished shiny one. Red is good since people associate that with SAKs, and it's hard to look scary with a yellow or orange knife. Stay away from f*ck-off silver steel and tactical black.

I carry a Leatherman Micra and it gets no looks what so ever and I work for a privately held family company that notices everything.

Cerberus

In the office I carry a 60/40 serrated Wenger Adirondack - it's like the Vic Spartan but with a locking main blade and only 3 1/4" closed. For cutting food at my desk I use the Vic Centurion in my desk - it's a bigger knife so I don't carry it around with me.

Nathan S said:
It's attached to my belt by a chain and hangs in my left pocket. That way I don't get that awkward "is that a gun or are you just happy to see me" kind of lump in my pants pocket.

My SwissChamp and CyberTools 34 and 41 are generally happier in a sheath on my belt. I noticed the SwissChamp and CyberTool 34 can each ride comfortably in my trouser pocket because they're about the same size. The CyberTool 41 is a tiny bit thicker, but that bit makes all the difference. I can carry it in my trouser pocket, but I notice it throughout the day.

cerberus said:
...I work for a privately held family company that notices everything.

Sounds cool. Is this your own family or someone else's? May I ask what kind of business it is?

A Benchmade Mini-Griptilian and a Leatherman Squirt P4.
A great combo!

Good luck,
Allen.

I work at an office with a liberal attitude towards knives. My choice of knife is based on ease of carry and my mood rather than a company policy. Today I'm carrying an alox Classic w/o a keyring. I rotate some Classics with an Executive, a Waiter and a Cadet. On my desk, I keep a Mug Boss with a Leatherman PST, a Champion, a mini utility knife & an Exacto knife. A lot of people comment on the Mug Boss but nobody seems to care about the knives.

Back