Recommendation? Which one? BK 2 or BK 10

BK-10 is lighter thinner are pros but for me the thumb ramp and the clippy tip put me off for a shorter knife. I live in an "EVIL DAGGER STATE!" so I can't put that to proper use. The BK-10 is good for general purpose stuff I have to say still.

BK-2, is a good all round general purpose knife I find, strong point, solid blade, and no thumb ramp. A tweener would be better for a "Smaller more nimble knife for twiggy widdling/cutting and fancy fu-fu fuzzy sticks", but the BK2 can do that just not as well. The BK2 can is a better jack of all trades that can take more abuse when you need to abuse it in some situations. That's why I got 2 BK2s and never got a 10 as I got many other knives in that blade length, the BK2 fits my need for the 5" and under heavy abuse to need to use knife.

For this type of knife I love the 2. I actually like how substantial it is and it fits my hand better with the thicker stock. If I wanted something thinner I would probably go with a bk16 or 17.

I never "got" the 2 until I held it in my hand. Why give a knife 0.25" stock, which makes it a mean splitter, but then hamper it with a 5" blade so that you can only split the same 3" wood that I could already do with a BK16 (that is lighter, slimmer, and slicier)? Right? On paper the BK2 makes no sense.

Then you get it in hand and "on paper" fades into the background. I can carve with this thing, split, and because of the thickness my hand doesn't get fatigued, and because of the weight, the knife does all the work so I can just keep going and going.

An old pic of my BK2 when she was much newer.

IMG_3267.jpg

I'm still in the 10 camp. You can always de-ramp if you want.
My suggestion is get the 10. If you feel you need a bigger knife, get the 2. But I suspect once you've played with the 10 a bit you'll find it's as much steel as you want in a knife that size. The 2 just causes too much drag unless you need its girth for splitting wood. But no, you can't have my 2 either. ;)

I don’t have a 10 but I do have a 2 and a 12. I cannot figure the 2 out. I would definitely go with the 10. It can actually do knife things and it doesn’t weigh a pound. If I am going to carry a one pound blade it is gonna be the 9 and it will be able to chop as well. A standard belt knife doesn’t need that kind of heft.

Of course, this is just one mans preference. :)

Really? I didn’t know that.
Yeah, there was a knife dealer that sold them like that, it didn't come from KA-BAR. Can't remember who anymore.

The BK2 is uniquely Becker; there's only one BK9 and there's only one BK2.
Yes the 10 is slicier but don't we all carry a pocket folder and/or a SAK?
For slicing, I adore the BK5 as well as the Tweeners - especially the sadly discontinued BK15.
The 2 can do a lot - an awful lot. There are plenty of slicers out there from FFL folders to kitchen knives.

Disclosure: I also like the BK10 ... but there's only one BK2 - The Beast.

Saber-ground 3/16" steel is only "slicey" when the point of comparison is a cold chisel. Even true of the BK5's FFG, though that's the sliciest (sp?!?) of the bunch.
Just sayin'.

Yeah, there's only one BK2. And the reason is that it's too thick for most things! :p
(and nope, you can't have mine now either)

I only have the Bk 2 so far. After the holidays are paid for I may buy a 10 that is if I can sneak it past the wife who keeps telling me I have enough knives and gunso_O

Last edited:
I would go for the BK62 if looking for a becker around 5". Next choice would be a BK10, unless you really want it to chop and split as a primary duty, or to be amazingly durable and fun, then the bk2. I tend towards thinner blades with 1/8" being the sweet spoy and 3/16" being the hard use knives. Obviously, things can be done with the blade geometry to make them cut really well still too, but thay's my general guideline. I rarely see a need for 1/4" steel unless I need weight.

I accidently owned a 10 for day due to an Amazon screwup. I'm just not a fan of the point on the knife. Like others a 2, in a thinner blade would be nice.
I own 2, 2's. Have never fully grown to love them as a knife. They served camp chores well. Took a beating and kept on going.
It was time to clean them up, I thought why bother as I looked at them. I've got other tools, and these aren't really knifey. They mainly baton fire wood.

Well, screw it. Ordered micarta handles, hit Ace hardware for supplies, and went to work. Now, when I say supplies, I mean a hand file, and sandpaper.
So, a month later, one of them is now a knife. It's now a spear point, and the back of the pommel has had a lot of metal removed.
The blade was very rough when stripped, and I've chewed through a lot, A lot of sandpaper cleaning it all up.
The new micarta has been sanded a lot so it fits me. It's nearly complete as of today with just a bit of finish stuff to complete.
It's now a big knife that will get used a lot more.
I've had a lot of fun working on this project, but for the time and money spent to make it what I want. I could have just gotten the BHK Highlander, or scout Platoon.
Your choices may be different.
Having said all that, if I had to choose, I would still go with the 2. Mainly due to the basic aesthetic of the blade. Get the micarta handles either way.

Still in the works, and some more work has been done.
5wunD3G

5wunD3Gm.jpg

CI0eSuBm.jpg

I've reshaped the handle to more closely resemble the outback.

Last edited:
Back