Which One

Bradw3451

Gold Member
I've searched for the last 20 minutes but the shear amount of information has my mind boggled.

I camp, hunt and fish often and really need a quality axe and hatchet. I'm of the mindset to buy once and cry once. So, for an all around quality axe and hatchet what would you buy?

Go vintage .
Either keep an eye out at flea markets...ect or just get one off eBay for $10-$30.
Rehabbing a vintage hatchet is more fun, less expensive than a swedish botiq axe, and I'd wager that it'll likely be as good or better.

Just Google hatchet or camp axe to get acquainted with what cheap modern stuff looks like and you'll have a good idea of what a lesser quality more modern 80's + hatchet looks like.

I've searched for the last 20 minutes but the shear amount of information has my mind boggled.

I camp, hunt and fish often and really need a quality axe and hatchet. I'm of the mindset to buy once and cry once. So, for an all around quality axe and hatchet what would you buy?
Just because you pay more doesn't mean you get more, far from it.
I would recommend a boys axe and a hunters hatchet, vintage of coarse. I would also point you in jblyttle's direction. A member here that sells vintage tools and he doesn't buy or sell junk.
Simple.;)

If you want to buy off the shelf instead of restoring then look to Council tools for an axe. Their base line full size or boys axes are really good axes for a fair price. For a hatchet check out Vaughan. Still made in America. Camp hatchet or riggers axe are good choices.

If there's a Sears store still open near you then check out the Craftsman camp hatchet. It the same Vaughan hatchet sold cheaper. I found a bunch last winter for $18 apiece. American 1080 is far better than Gransfors' recycled 1055 equivalent. Not that Gransfors does a bad job with their steel. Their getting the most out it. But it's 1055.

Look into a tomahawk for a more lightweight and potentially more versatile option. I too hunt, fish, and generally like to wander around wild places and found tomahawks easier to carry (just tucked into my belt or in a pack) and not lacking for reasonable work. Cold Steel makes a bunch of options for a low budget. I am not sure of any domestic manufacturers but there are many custom makers such as 2Hawks that are not obscenely priced.

I would suggest you look for one with a tempered hammer-poll so that you can use it to drive in tent stakes and such (my understanding is that the butt of many axes are not tempered and using them as a hammer can cause serious damage to the head).

Good luck, I hope you find a tool that suits you.

Back