1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 33 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Boker 732 Urban Trapper

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker 732 Urban Trapper , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, August 17 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Which One

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Bradw3451, May 31, 2019.

1. Bradw3451

Bradw3451 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 13, 2014
    I've searched for the last 20 minutes but the shear amount of information has my mind boggled.

I camp, hunt and fish often and really need a quality axe and hatchet. I'm of the mindset to buy once and cry once. So, for an all around quality axe and hatchet what would you buy?

ithinkverydeeply likes this.
  2. junkenstien

junkenstien

Feb 15, 2017
    Unmarked heads with ridges in the eye and plain stamped plumbs.If you look and are patient you can get them for next to nothing or even 30 40 bucks if you can’t wait still cheaper than new .

Bradw3451, Agent_H, A17 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Go vintage .
    Either keep an eye out at flea markets...ect or just get one off eBay for $10-$30.
    Rehabbing a vintage hatchet is more fun, less expensive than a swedish botiq axe, and I'd wager that it'll likely be as good or better.
    [​IMG]

Just Google hatchet or camp axe to get acquainted with what cheap modern stuff looks like and you'll have a good idea of what a lesser quality more modern 80's + hatchet looks like.

Bradw3451, Agent_H, A17 and 1 other person like this.
  4. garry3

garry3

Sep 11, 2012
    Just because you pay more doesn't mean you get more, far from it.
    I would recommend a boys axe and a hunters hatchet, vintage of coarse. I would also point you in jblyttle's direction. A member here that sells vintage tools and he doesn't buy or sell junk.
    Simple.;)

Bradw3451, Mack, junkenstien and 4 others like this.
  5. A17

A17

Jan 9, 2018
  6. Fmont

Fmont Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 20, 2017
    I have bought and used modern GB and HB. There's nothing special about them as compared to American vintage, and absolutely no reason to pay that kind of money.

7. Square_peg

Square_peg Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2012
    If you want to buy off the shelf instead of restoring then look to Council tools for an axe. Their base line full size or boys axes are really good axes for a fair price. For a hatchet check out Vaughan. Still made in America. Camp hatchet or riggers axe are good choices.

If there's a Sears store still open near you then check out the Craftsman camp hatchet. It the same Vaughan hatchet sold cheaper. I found a bunch last winter for $18 apiece. American 1080 is far better than Gransfors' recycled 1055 equivalent. Not that Gransfors does a bad job with their steel. Their getting the most out it. But it's 1055.

Bradw3451, A17 and Fmont like this.
  8. Bradw3451

Bradw3451 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Thanks everyone.

9. oldmanwilly

oldmanwilly Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Look into a tomahawk for a more lightweight and potentially more versatile option. I too hunt, fish, and generally like to wander around wild places and found tomahawks easier to carry (just tucked into my belt or in a pack) and not lacking for reasonable work. Cold Steel makes a bunch of options for a low budget. I am not sure of any domestic manufacturers but there are many custom makers such as 2Hawks that are not obscenely priced.

I would suggest you look for one with a tempered hammer-poll so that you can use it to drive in tent stakes and such (my understanding is that the butt of many axes are not tempered and using them as a hammer can cause serious damage to the head).

Good luck, I hope you find a tool that suits you.

Bradw3451 and Square_peg like this.