Which PM2 variation do I need?

Cardboard is nasty abrasive stuff. Otherwise fine steels like K390 don't keep an edge all that long when put up against cardboard. The three steels that have held their edges longest for me, against cardboard, are Maxamet, 15V, and S110V, in roughly descending order.

Cardboard is nasty abrasive stuff. Otherwise fine steels like K390 don't keep an edge all that long when put up against cardboard. The three steels that have held their edges longest for me, against cardboard, are Maxamet, 15V, and S110V, in roughly descending order.
That sounds right, and S110V is easiest to find. If the OP is using the knife at work to cut a lot of cardboard then he should buy a good sharpening system to go with it, I recommend something with diamond stones. Also I recommend considering the Manix 2 LW version in S110V because I think it is a bit tougher for use as a work knife.

If you want stainless, S90V or S110V. If stainless is not needed, Maxamet. And get some diamond abrasives for sharpening them.

Either the basic in s45vn which is great and will be easier to sharpen, or the Maxamet version.
Maxamet is fantastic and keeps an edge very long but will be way longer to sharpen than s45vn

Never mind the steel I think the fine tip on a PM2 is a poor match for this.

If it was me I'd want a Manix version or maybe a Bodacious when they're out.

Never mind the steel I think the fine tip on a PM2 is a poor match for this.

If it was me I'd want a Manix version or maybe a Bodacious when they're out.
Agree. I was asking myself how much the long retention I saw with 15V was because it was a Shaman, which has a nice robust blade shape.

Don't know for sure without trying it, but while Magnacut has many virtues, I would not expect it to play in the realm of steels like Maxamet, when judged by edge retention cutting cardboard.
I had to go check it. Larrin has an article with charts here: https://knifesteelnerds.com/2021/10...ness-edge-retention-and-corrosion-resistance/

Just going by the edge retention rating, Maxamet=11, 15V=10, Magnacut=5, and 110V=8

When looking at the charts, keep in mind that high alloy is a separate chart from stainless.

Edit: MagnaCut is 5 instead of 9

Last edited:
I don't think Magnacut would excel with cardboard cutting.

You want 15v. It doesn't just keep an edge forever, the sharpening has been a pleasant surprise. The BBB heat treat is truly impressive (edit: Spyderco HT on the 15v may actually outperform the Spyderco HT on Maxamet, but you can check with the cut-tests referenced below). Maxamet is also a fine choice, and I have had no issue with K390 (one of my favorites, actually). For sharpening any of these steels, you will need CBN or diamond, regardless.

If stainless is needed, s110v or s90v. S90v is more well-rounded in my view, but less stainless.

You can check Outpost 76's youtube channel for some real world cardboard cutting tests. Pete, from Cedric and Ada cuts rope, which may be a good proxy. These are not absolutely scientific tests, in that not all variables are exactly controlled, but they will definitely give you an idea.

[Another edit: Manix 2 (and some others) may have a little better profile for cardboard, but the para 2 is an excellent knife. Should be no issue.]

Last edited:
thank you all for your insight! I don’t see any maxamet ones on the forum, but I do see a 52100 CF PM2 for sale! How does that stack up?

Buy an S30 or the 45s

In the end... You will end up regretting using
a quality knife for cardboard processing.

I'm speaking from experience.
Warehouse worker for 6yrs
There are some nice Box cutters out there.

As for 52100.
I love mine. Very easy to sharpen.
It will rust if your not careful with it.
Patinas at the blink of an eye
Edge holding is ok.
No where near Maxamet,15V,110V.

thank you all for your insight! I don’t see any maxamet ones on the forum, but I do see a 52100 CF PM2 for sale! How does that stack up?

You can find a 15v on the exchange for 230-250 or spend the same for maxamet. I have both in pm2 and both are great. I used my maxamet for a lot of cardboard. No issues

Back