Which SAK fits my criteria?

I suppose looking for the "perfect" SAK is something everyone does. Well, I'm at it too!

Here's what I want:

1) Victorinox (of course.)
2) Large blade, small blade, phillips & slotted screwdrivers, pliers, saw, and preferably little to nothing else (other than the tweezers.)
3) As thin as possible - no more than 4 backsprings.
4) "Medium" form factor (3-5/8" overall, though I'd settle for the larger if I had to.)

The closest current model I've found is the "Tradesman", but it lacks the small blade and is thicker than I'd like - plus it's the larger size.

Are there any discontinued patterns that come closer?

-=[ grant ]=-

The Tradesman is the larger (4-3/8") format and has 5 layers with no small blade.
If you like the larger models check out the Atlas - 4 layers but still no small blade.
Lots of smaller (91mm) models to choose from but none meet all your criteria.
Craftsmen and Handyman have everything but are 6 layers.
Deluxe Tinker 4 layers no saw.
Angler 4 layers no saw.
Mechanic 3 layers no saw.

Just check out the SAK Selector at SOSAK.
or the ToolMatch at swissarmy.com.

That's what I was afraid of; was hoping that somewhere along the way they had made a model that was "perfect" - for me, of course.

In the meantime, after months of searching I finally found my older SwissChamp. It's a knife that I was given probably 10 years ago, and have never really used. Does anyone actually EDC one of these?

-=[ Grant ]=-

PythonDR said:
That's what I was afraid of; was hoping that somewhere along the way they had made a model that was "perfect" - for me, of course.

In the meantime, after months of searching I finally found my older SwissChamp. It's a knife that I was given probably 10 years ago, and have never really used. Does anyone actually EDC one of these?

-=[ Grant ]=-

For quite a few years, actually, and sometimes still do. In a nylon sheath on a belt it is barely noticeable. But I really like the full size needle nose pliers and locking implements on my Leathermen. Otherwise, the Swisschamp would be my EDC still.

Well, I've been carrying it around for this last week, in the pocket of my pants! (I work from home, and get to dress in BDU or cargo-style pants most of the time.) It seems to ride pretty well in the front slash pocket; I'd have sworn it was too big to do so comfortably.

And it sure is handy... :D

Back